Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to force a regen on our trucks ? I've read that i'd need a cummins insite or a tunner to do so - which I wouldn't mind investing in. My problem is that I'll go on a long trip say 200+mi and the ECM will wait until I am near my destination (usually home) and then deciede it wants to go into regen once i get into my neighberhood :(. At the moment my DPF guage is showing around 40%. It already went into a regen prior on its own when I got around this level - but it didn't seem to kick in while I was out on the highway (for about 300 miles yesterday) I've had the truck for about 5 days or so and already racked up well over 1.5k miles (probably nothing by some peoples standards here). I asked about tuning options because I want the ability to be able to force a regen if I KNOW i will be on the road for 100's of miles and the DPF guage is showing close to 50% or so.

· Registered
2019 Ram 2500 4 x 4
714 Posts
FYI ...When you run hard the engine will not have to regen.

You only get them if you do short and cold runs. Even though you may see that gauge go up, during a good long run you can then watch it go down. The whole system gets so hot that what is called a "passive regeneration" takes place and the DPF is hot enough to clean itself.

· Maybe a Mod
I Know Nothing
3,500 Posts
With AlfaOBD, you can actually enable the “Manual DPF Regeneration” option in the BCM.

This will allow you to hold the > button on the steering wheel to initiate manual regeneration like the C&C trucks.

· Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A CTS2 or 3 can do a mobile regen and monitor all the vitals of the engine/trans.
Does this require the ability to write back to the ECM - if not I might pick this up - since no one is responding about '22 Tunes/monitors/guages.

FYI ...When you run hard th engine will not have to regain.

You only get them if you do short and cold runs. Even though you may see that gauge go up, during a good long run you can then watch it go down. The hold system gets so hat that what is called a "passive regeneration" takes place and the DPF is hot enough to clean itself.
I was hauling 1500lbs and was kinda getting on it every now and again - was told that using the exhaust brake also helps keep things in check on the emissions side (not sure if that is true)
With AlfaOBD, you can actually enable the “Manual DPF Regeneration” option in the BCM.

This will allow you to hold the > button on the steering wheel to initiate manual regeneration like the C&C trucks.
Awesome - I read up on this a while ago, does this require a security bypass gateway ? Since it will be writing to the BCM it sounds like it will and it won't effect/mess with the ECM - correct ?

· Maybe a Mod
I Know Nothing
3,500 Posts
Have you got it to work with less than 80% soot load? No one else seems to be able to do it
On my last 2019 I made it work. It didn’t care how full it was.

Never tried on my new one… And let’s put it this way, I can’t now. 😅

· Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
3,234 Posts

· Premium Member
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD SLT
365 Posts
I can’t even tell you if my trucks been through a regen, because I sure the heck haven’t noticed. Just keep driving it and don’t worry about it!

· Registered
5,320 Posts
No need, drive it. If it is regening when you stop the truck just shut it off it will start again when you start driving again no big deal. You will also notice it will Regen on a 24hr schedule
I can’t even tell you if my trucks been through a regen, because I sure the heck haven’t noticed. Just keep driving it and don’t worry about it!
Exactly. The truck can take care of itself.

· Registered
Horns Removed, Still identify as a RAM
11,155 Posts
I get what the OP is wanting. It is better to do a regen during a long drive when the truck and exhaust are pretty hot. My Chevy seems to do the same thing, I could drive for hours, it does a regen as I’m pulling into the driveway. Would be nice to force a regen. The problem would be doing one before it’s needed. I used to average about 400 miles between regens. Lately I’ve been getting 650-700 miles between regens, as I only use the truck to tow now.

· Registered
543 Posts
A CTS2 or 3 can do a mobile regen and monitor all the vitals of the engine/trans.
The CTS2 will not work on a 2019+ truck
The CTS3 will not do a regen

· Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
3,234 Posts
It says it will do a mobile regen.

2019 Ram 2500/3500 6.7L Cummins Insight Update Coverage Release. Insight CS2 (PN 84030), and Insight CTS2 (PN 84130) now supports 2019 Ram 6.7L Cummins diesel trucks.

You were saying?

· Registered
543 Posts
It says it will do a mobile regen.

2019 Ram 2500/3500 6.7L Cummins Insight Update Coverage Release. Insight CS2 (PN 84030), and Insight CTS2 (PN 84130) now supports 2019 Ram 6.7L Cummins diesel trucks.

You were saying?
That's great news. I have tried my CTS2 on my 2020, no worky. I will update it and give it a try.
I've run my CTS3 on both my 2016 and 2020, it has no regen capability. Wonder if Edge has updated it to now support regens.
Will call Edge to verify both issues.

Thanks for the good news

· Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I get what the OP is wanting. It is better to do a regen during a long drive when the truck and exhaust are pretty hot. My Chevy seems to do the same thing, I could drive for hours, it does a regen as I’m pulling into the driveway. Would be nice to force a regen. The problem would be doing one before it’s needed. I used to average about 400 miles between regens. Lately I’ve been getting 650-700 miles between regens, as I only use the truck to tow now.
This is exactly what I want - if I know i have 50% build up - i want to force a regen if I am going on a long highway trip vs waiting for the system to want to kick one off while I am getting ready to park.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Thats not much time between regens i was getting about 1200-1400miles between regens when my truck was to be equipped to do so

i guess Chevys regen almost 2X as much?

· Registered
Horns Removed, Still identify as a RAM
11,155 Posts
Thats not much time between regens i was getting about 1200-1400miles between regens when my truck was to be equipped to do so

i guess Chevys regen almost 2X as much?
Yes, and Fords are every 250-300 miles.
Chevys will at a maximum regen once per 36 gallons of fuel.
Last year when the dealer replaced my injectors, the mechanic said that his truck and most he saw were an average of 300, so I’m doing pretty good.

I do think that a lot of Ram owners don't notice regens, so they think it regens less than it actually does.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dblr2
1 - 20 of 57 Posts