Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
has anyone thought about taking some after turbo intake air from before the butterfly valve in the intake manifold and redirecting it into the egr tube where the exhaust gas would normally enter the egr cooler and then bock off the exhaust port to the egr. That way the egr system and sensors would continue to work normally and sense movement and pressure of air moving through it on the 2012 models......just a though dancing in my mind? The result would be clean warm air entering the engine instead of exhaust air and possibly no codes and no derate! It seems to me that when the butterfly valve closes this would create a significant pressure flow through the EGR system. Anyone out there with enough resources at hand to play with this idea?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Has anyone ever thought of just putting in the two block off plates between the cooler and the manifold? It would stop all egr, and keep the ECM happy as well, no? I'm sure its been tried but just a thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can't just block the EGR off without a programmer, the ECM or PCM as they call it is looking for signals from the sensors in the EGR system on the 2012 models. If there is no air flow and no pressure changes at the correct times you get a code and the truck will derate on power. I have searched many threads on here and haven't found anyone that has tried my idea. That doesn't mean someone hasn't tried it though.

·
Registered
456 Posts
ahh yeah I guess thatll getcha lol. Just gonna have to wait and see what the future brings for the diesel world

·
Glad to Be Here
669 Posts
has anyone thought about taking some after turbo intake air from before the butterfly valve in the intake manifold and redirecting it into the egr tube where the exhaust gas would normally enter the egr cooler and then bock off the exhaust port to the egr. That way the egr system and sensors would continue to work normally and sense movement and pressure of air moving through it on the 2012 models......just a though dancing in my mind? The result would be clean warm air entering the engine instead of exhaust air and possibly no codes and no derate! It seems to me that when the butterfly valve closes this would create a significant pressure flow through the EGR system. Anyone out there with enough resources at hand to play with this idea?
Wouldn't work because of the inert gas vs usable O2 (egr vs boosted air). Would throw off the expected power output and likely set multiple codes.....

·
Registered
629 Posts
So you think there are sensors sampling the air going into the motor that are looking for inert gas? I thought the sensors were just measuring temp and pressure.
If it were the later I wonder if you could fool the temp sensor with a SIM and if you fed the crossover tube with boosted air that would take care of the pressure sensor. Then you could ditch the EGR cooler if you unbolt the motor that opens and closes the cooler and leave it plugged in and tucked out of the way in the engine bay. Just thinking out loud here.:confused013:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.