Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soo I have a 47re with a full manual valve body in it. Truck shifted perfect I went to lunch came back out went for a drive and noticed the truck was just revin and not in gear after driving a few seconds and shifted into 3rd. I was in 4 lo this truck is off road use only. Soo I realized if I shut the truck off for about 15 seconds and restart it the truck has all gears again for about 20 seconds then acts like it’s I neutral again until you shut it off and wait another 15 seconds or so.. do you think my pump crapped out, or the torque converter went bad. it’s a single disc billet converter.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
PM Dynamic on this site. He is a trani shop owner. Very knowledgeable I do ont know how your manual valve body works or if any of your electronics wtill work in that system..

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good, thank you

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I changed out the pump but it didn’t help. The truck moved a few feet when reevd high then it quit moving at all.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Burned clutches maybe? Check line pressure.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the filter, new fluid, and a new pump nothing... I checked line pressure at port 3 (accumulator) and on 1 (rear servo test port) I had the truck in reverse and reeves high and it only made it to 150psi which is about 1/2 the pressure it should make. Maybe I went from the wrong ports for that gear I’m not sure the instructions I read made it sound like that was right..

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Is transfer case accidentally pushed into neutral? Have you done any launches with it this month? Check external linkage for correct movement?
Look up symptoms of a broken accumulator spring. Talk to builder or manufacturer of your trani and VB set up. Did it fail in the parking spot or as you tried to take off?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
What pressure did you get in the accumulator test port in forward gear? If you got 150 in the L/R servo port, it should definitely be enough to engage the direct clutch and L/R band and move the vehicle.

A broken accumulator spring won't have anything to do with it, FWIW.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will have to check again but I wanna say I never got any pressure from the accumulator port in any gear.
The trans is in my s10 behind a 4bt. I was driving down a Trail and all of a sudden it stopped moving like my transfercase jumped out of gear. Unfortunately that was not the case. After I put a new pump in it, I put it in drive it moved forward then I put it in reverse and I had to rev it to the moon to get it to move a tiny bit. I went about 10ft and then it stopped moving and no gears work at all. Trans is stock beside a trango full manual valve body kit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What pressure did you get in the accumulator test port in forward gear? If you got 150 in the L/R servo port, it should definitely be enough to engage the direct clutch and L/R band and move the vehicle.

A broken accumulator spring won't have anything to do with it, FWIW.
Which port is the L/R servo port? I don’t see that on the diagram that I’m looking at

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Couple ofthngs, What transfer case is in it? and Does PARK hold it in place or will it roll freely? Can you feel it spining any gears or sifting? Have you checked pan. magnet or filter for debris?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Couple ofthngs, What transfer case is in it? and Does PARK hold it in place or will it roll freely? Can you feel it spining any gears or sifting? Have you checked pan. magnet or filter for debris?
It’s has dual np231 cases in it. Park does work in it. When you put it in first and rev it shortly after you start it for the forst time it’ll slowly creep forward. But then loose everything. I removed the pan to change the filter and fluid. There were no parts laying in the bottom.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I will have to check again but I wanna say I never got any pressure from the accumulator port in any gear.
If you don't have any line pressure at the accumulator, that's where you need to focus your attention. You already put a pump in it, and it would be unlikely to have two identically bad pumps so, as long as the pump is turning, we can assume that the pump is not the problem. You put a new filter on it, so you shouldn't have a plugged filter (more common than you would think). I'm also assuming that is does indeed have enough fluid in it. Believe it or not, this trips up many a DIYer, and sadly, even some guys who supposedly know what they're doing. So you're either dumping line pressure somewhere in forward gears, or there is a problem with the PR valve train in the valve body. I think I'd take a look at the valve body, and if that is correct, it's time for the transmission to come apart.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My next plan was to look at the valve body. I’m more than sure on the fluid I check numerous times while warm in neautral hoping it was just low

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Do you have another VB you can put on it? Sounds like the torque convertor is not turning the Trani.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don’t have another valve body unfortunately. I was also wondering if my torque converter went bad... it’s a bullet single disk so nothing special but my motor also doesn’t make much power at all.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Have you tried pulling codes with a good scan tool, some trani issues will register?

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
When was the latest work done on the trani?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you tried pulling codes with a good scan tool, some trani issues will register?
The trans is behind my 4bt in a s10. So I won’t be able to scan anything. Thanks tho

1 - 20 of 43 Posts