Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my truck in December used. Not knowing it's history I changed the oil a few days after. Seconds after changing it the new oil was as black as the old oil. Since then I've removed the DPF and got a Smarty Jr. It's been about 3000 miles since I changed it and maybe 1/3-1/2 of that was before deleting. I'm leaving Monday on a trip to Wyoming. Probably 4000 miles round trip.

I'm going to change the oil and filter, but would it be worth it to drain the old oil, refill it, run the engine 10 minutes or so, then drain the oil and replace it again along with a new filter? Or would this be a waste of money and resources?

My 03 5.9 was the cleanest engine I've ever had. The oil on the dipstick was still gold at 7000 miles every time when I changed it. Will the 6.7 ever be that clean?

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
It takes a few oil changes but eventually the oil will be clean.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
I think you are delusional if you think your 5.9 was golden at 7k miles. There is always close to a quart of oil in the pan. Makes the fresh oil black on the first start. Besides visual inspection of oil means nothing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
you are wasting your money if you change your oil after 10 minutes. You've stopped the regens and have significantly improved the life of your oil. My oil is still not clean looking when I change it with 7k miles on it and I've been deleted for 16 months but its a lot better than it was.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good. I didn't really want to throw away 40some dollars worth of oil.

Yes the oil on my 5.9's dipstick was gold at 7K miles when I changed it every time. The larger volume coming out of the sump was a dark bronze color. Never even close to being black. 140,000 miles when I traded it.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
In my opinion the long drive is going to help it get clean . After my deletes I drove to California and back. My next oil change my oil is running pretty clean. I put on a little over 3,000 miles that trip. That was about 20,000 miles ago. I don't see black oil anymore. So you should see improvements after your trip.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: N of 60 and JonF

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sounds good. I didn't really want to throw away 40some dollars worth of oil.

Yes the oil on my 5.9's dipstick was gold at 7K miles when I changed it every time. The larger volume coming out of the sump was a dark bronze color. Never even close to being black. 140,000 miles when I traded it.
The main reason for the black oil is to most of the emissions, egr, no external blow by, its keeping all the soot and nasties in the oil, that was they are making and recommending low emissions oil on new diesels due to the fact they have more detergents to help clean and capture the particles. I have changed many fleet trucks oil only to find that after the start up it looks just as bad as what we took out. I would say with doing deletes and venting to the atmosphere you should see an improvement. I have also noticed the newer diesels stain the hell out of your hands when changing oil compared to the old ones because of all the soot in them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there anyway to get rid of this soot and nasty black. My 05 is same way. After doing my initial start and idle after oil change. I let sit 10-15 minutes to check my oil and it's same way. Stains hands and black. Also my manual calls for 12 quarts. Well I do 11 oil and 1 Lucas oil stabilizer. That's 12 correct. Well it's always 3/4 of a quart low. Weird.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Is there anyway to get rid of this soot and nasty black. My 05 is same way. After doing my initial start and idle after oil change. I let sit 10-15 minutes to check my oil and it's same way. Stains hands and black. Also my manual calls for 12 quarts. Well I do 11 oil and 1 Lucas oil stabilizer. That's 12 correct. Well it's always 3/4 of a quart low. Weird.
Not really, soot is a byproduct of a diesel engine. Your truck is before the EGR and DPF stuff so it's probably as clean as you are gonna get... As far as the oil level I check mine cold after it's run the day before. Checking oil as you described there is probably oil that hasn't drained back to the pan yet.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: Levvs5.9

·
Registered
387 Posts
My son changes the oil in his 2006 5.9L Cummins every 5k miles using Rotella T4 15w40 and the oil is black as coal after the first restart. The engine is healthy as a race horse. Don’t worry about the oil as long as it is just oil and not fuel or coolant in it.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
My dad has an 03. The oil comes out a golden color when changed every 7500 miles. Even with his edge EZ module. My 02 was also like this. I had an 05 and it would turn the oil black within ten miles of a change. IIRC in 04.5 Dodge started incylinder egr. So the cam would close the exhaust valves earlier and retain some exhaust as dead air. This is known as incylinder EGR. You can talk with Hamilton cams and see if they can get you a cam that funcrions like the 03 and early 04 trucks. This should help a lot. The 04.5-07.5 5.9 trucks were hard on oil. The 08-12 6.7 trucks were bad also and required frequent changes due to soot load or fuel contamination from egr and regen.
My 15 has no egr which was turning my oil black almost as fast as my past 05. With EGR gone the oil is once again staying clean.

·
Premium Member
15,319 Posts
Is there anyway to get rid of this soot and nasty black.
Yes there is, change the cam. The cam is #1 responsible part for turning the oil black. Have a rebuilt 6.7 with all the problems removed, cvam changed out to something more normal profile, and even wide ring gaps. At any mileage so far it is hard to tell oil level on the plastic dipstick because the color is so light.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
My dad has an 03. The oil comes out a golden color when changed every 7500 miles. Even with his edge EZ module. My 02 was also like this. I had an 05 and it would turn the oil black within ten miles of a change. IIRC in 04.5 Dodge started incylinder egr. So the cam would close the exhaust valves earlier and retain some exhaust as dead air. This is known as incylinder EGR. You can talk with Hamilton cams and see if they can get you a cam that funcrions like the 03 and early 04 trucks. This should help a lot. The 04.5-07.5 5.9 trucks were hard on oil. The 08-12 6.7 trucks were bad also and required frequent changes due to soot load or fuel contamination from egr and regen.
My 15 has no egr which was turning my oil black almost as fast as my past 05. With EGR gone the oil is once again staying clean.
My 98.5 was clear on the dipstick at 5K but draining it the oil was black as night. Mt '07 5.9's Blackstone readings are nearly identical to my 24v. I change oil at 5-6K and it never needs topping off. The odometer is just shy of 100K. It's had a 2300# camper on it 24/7 since new.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a completely stock 2018 ram 3500. It has 8k miles or so. I have done 3 oil changes so far. One at 6 months with 3500 miles one at 12 months 6k miles and 18 months with 7900 miles. At every oil change the oil has been black. Hell checking the new oil on the dip stick it’s not even golden it’s just black. I can’t wait for my warranty to be up so I can delete. I don’t think you can judge the history of oil changes based on color of the oil. Maybe on a gasoline engine but not the new diesels. And FYI I know I’m over kill on my oil changes. I’m just not trying to get denied on warranty work if something goes sideways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts