Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab and I recently turned over 500 miles. Many of my friends who have owned diesels for a while are using fuel additives like Stanadyne on every fill up. They are also recommending going full synthetic on motor oil, front and rear diff and tranny. I'd love to get some input from some of the owners on here on what you use and why.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
917 Posts
Cummins manual supplement REQUIRES 5W-40 Synthetic that meets their standard in temps below 0F. This is to 'Avoid severe engine damage" per the manual. (Hey they warranty it so I follow.)
To be safe, I run Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W 40 in mine always.

When I fill up, I add 10oz of Power Service DK+ to the tank April -September. The other colder times I use Power Service DFS+. This method has worked for me in my 2007 Mercedes ML CDI without any fuel related issues for 138000 miles, and several cold IL winters.

When the time comes I will do the diff fluids with Mobil 1 syn gear fluids also because I prefer that brand and I tow a lot. As for the tranny, will probably stick with dealer fluids unless I find a proven better one that is compatible with my 68RFE electronic transmission.

Congrats on the truck. Go back to the dealer and have all the updates to the radio and engine done, and have them "re learn" the transmission. (If you have an automatic). Also when you get to Maine, don't top up your DEF tank in winter due to freezing expansion. 3/4 tank at best.

Reactions: warmstrong

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The engine is shipped from the factory with full synthetic oil in it already. I would change out the engine oil when the EVIC recommends and refill with either Shell Rotella T6 or Valvoline engine oil.

Now the transmission fill should be ATF+4 oil as this is the factory recommendation and should cause you no issues if used and changed per the factory maintenance schedule.

I would use AMSOIL and or another full synthetic oil in the differential. I use AMSIOL 75W-90 EP-Gear lube which is a full synthetic oil.

Jim W.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use fuel additive every fill up !!!! due to the dry ultra low sulfur crap and I want my injectors to live a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggg time and the more lube the better I think but I have only 1.2 cents

·
White Lightning
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
15,760 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I asked at the CMEP this last June when Turbo Diesel Register held a rally there. The answer was "YES" they supply all models of the 6.7L engine with full synthetic it is easier to stock just one oil type than two different oils. Also the Valvoline representative made the same statement in the fluid tech session that was held during the rally.
Jim W.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate all the responses. I'll be staying with full syn on the eng oil and eventually full syn on the front and rear diff. Still gotta figure out the fuel additive thing. A lot of science backs up using one, and from what I'm reading Opti lube is my front runner right now.

·
White Lightning
15,760 Posts
I asked at the CMEP this last June when Turbo Diesel Register held a rally there. The answer was "YES" they supply all models of the 6.7L engine with full synthetic it is easier to stock just one oil type than two different oils. Also the Valvoline representative made the same statement in the fluid tech session that was held during the rally.
Jim W.
Since this came up another time, I emailed Cummins a few days ago, and received this response October 25th :

Hello Greg,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your email. We experienced a major system outage which prevented access to all our inbound email traffic. This issue has just been resolved.

Cummins only recommendation for oil is use of a 15W-40 weight that is API certified CJ-4 Low Ash oil meeting Cummins Engineering Standard 20081. All Cummins engines come from the factory containing Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40; however, we do not endorse any brand of oil. As long as it meets the specifications, it is acceptable for use.

Cummins neither recommends nor discourages use of synthetic oil, as the use of synthetic oil will not harm your engine. However, there are no known benefits to using synthetic oil in a Cummins engine. Synthetic oils are very good for gasoline engines, since they have no oil cooler and reject more heat to less oil than diesels. It is not likely that any oil temperature achieved in your engine would harm non-synthetic oil.

Additionally, use of synthetic oil in Cummins engines will not increase our recommended oil change intervals. The maintenance intervals must still be maintained because, unlike gasoline engines, diesel engines reject a lot of soot and ash into the oil. The consistency of the oil does not affect this, because synthetic oil does not hold ash from a diesel engine any better than regular oil. The oil will still become dirty and have to be changed at the recommended interval no matter what consistency it is. Regarding deposits, diesel engines are not as affected by deposits as gasoline engines. This is because all diesel engines, regardless of manufacturer, allow a small amount of fuel into the oil. With regular oil changes, this fuel is not harmful to the engine, and actually “washes” the engine components of deposits. Leaving the oil in for extended periods will allow the oil’s fuel contamination level to become unsafe for operation, but with regular maintenance it is a normal and safe occurrence.

Thank you for contacting Cummins. We appreciate your business!

Tina
Customer Care Representative

I'm thoroughly confused now............. :confused013:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Since this came up another time, I emailed Cummins a few days ago, and received this response October 25th :

Hello Greg,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your email. We experienced a major system outage which prevented access to all our inbound email traffic. This issue has just been resolved.

Cummins only recommendation for oil is use of a 15W-40 weight that is API certified CJ-4 Low Ash oil meeting Cummins Engineering Standard 20081. All Cummins engines come from the factory containing Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40; however, we do not endorse any brand of oil. As long as it meets the specifications, it is acceptable for use.

Cummins neither recommends nor discourages use of synthetic oil, as the use of synthetic oil will not harm your engine. However, there are no known benefits to using synthetic oil in a Cummins engine. Synthetic oils are very good for gasoline engines, since they have no oil cooler and reject more heat to less oil than diesels. It is not likely that any oil temperature achieved in your engine would harm non-synthetic oil.

Additionally, use of synthetic oil in Cummins engines will not increase our recommended oil change intervals. The maintenance intervals must still be maintained because, unlike gasoline engines, diesel engines reject a lot of soot and ash into the oil. The consistency of the oil does not affect this, because synthetic oil does not hold ash from a diesel engine any better than regular oil. The oil will still become dirty and have to be changed at the recommended interval no matter what consistency it is. Regarding deposits, diesel engines are not as affected by deposits as gasoline engines. This is because all diesel engines, regardless of manufacturer, allow a small amount of fuel into the oil. With regular oil changes, this fuel is not harmful to the engine, and actually “washes” the engine components of deposits. Leaving the oil in for extended periods will allow the oil’s fuel contamination level to become unsafe for operation, but with regular maintenance it is a normal and safe occurrence.

Thank you for contacting Cummins. We appreciate your business!

Tina
Customer Care Representative

I'm thoroughly confused now............. :confused013:

I hear ya brother... you talk to 5 different people...you get 5 different answers.

But... I don't believe its a big deal. When you first change your oil use the recommended weight for your environment.

If you read your owners manual... there's little doubt about what to use if you live in a cold climate... temps below 0F... 5W-40 Synthetic.

For me in AK... its a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Did you ask about the ISB 6.7L engine only that is manufacture at the Columbus Mid-Range Engine Plant? This is the only engine that is manufactured at this facility and the engine is shipped to Ram in Mexico and Fleetwood for other uses. I do not know about the other engines manufactured at other facilities and that maybe the general diesel oil used in them.

The reason given to us was that the oil change interval is now 15,000 Miles instead of the 7,500 originally for the 6.7L engine.

I know the engineering team at Caterpillar would do something different and the service department was behind on the correct answer. Which the dealer mechanics would just love about the service department at Cat.

Jim W.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I think synthetic oil is a waste of money on diesels. The current dino oils are of excellent quality, and as stated a synthetic oil fares no better when it comes to fuel dilution. Also, oil samples from trucks which run bypass filters have shown conventional will last 20k+ miles and still have life left. I don't see any benefit whatsoever of synthetic.

·
Registered
324 Posts
On the related side note, which is the best or really good fuel additive to run? I want my injectors and pump to last to don't mind adding additives, also do you have to break out the she pee funnel to add them to get past the second valve?

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
Its NOT a pee funnel, its a FUEL funnel. If Cummins WANTED you to add additives then they would say so. Never found a need to add them myself.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I've always run full syn oil, and diesel Kleen every fillup (or so).

Don't care if I save $3/gal and buy a cheaper oil. Rotella T6 5/40 was $21/gal at Walmart with a $5 rebate. That's $16/gal or $4/qt.

Worth the huge check I had to write lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I've always run full syn oil, and diesel Kleen every fillup (or so).

Don't care if I save $3/gal and buy a cheaper oil. Rotella T6 5/40 was $21/gal at Walmart with a $5 rebate. That's $16/gal or $4/qt.

Worth the huge check I had to write lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
But what is your justification? What benefit do you think you're getting? Fuel dilution is the issue, not soot. Synthetic has no benefit where fuel dilution is concerned.

·
White Lightning
15,760 Posts
But what is your justification? What benefit do you think you're getting? Fuel dilution is the issue, not soot. Synthetic has no benefit where fuel dilution is concerned.
Fuel dilution is a non-issue on a 2013 w/DEF. My first 12k miles required less than one quart of make-up oil. The 2nd oil change went 14k miles......and the oil level was right on the money. A 2013 CTD will not "make oil" and dilute oil like the 2007.5's through 2012's did.....

Reactions: blackhawk783

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm going synthetic this time as well. Nuthin against dino oil, that's all I ran in my 01 till I sold it last month with 0 oil related issues. Also passed oil analysis at last oil changed with no problems.

My thinking is that since the price delta is not all that harsh any more for most brands, the synthetic may get to the valves and top end easier/quicker on cold starts. Time will tell...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think synthetic oil is a waste of money on diesels. The current dino oils are of excellent quality, and as stated a synthetic oil fares no better when it comes to fuel dilution. Also, oil samples from trucks which run bypass filters have shown conventional will last 20k+ miles and still have life left. I don't see any benefit whatsoever of synthetic.
In cold climates you do not have a choice... synthetic is the only way to go.

I'm not aware of a 5W-40 dino oil as an available option.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
In cold climates you do not have a choice... synthetic is the only way to go.

I'm not aware of a 5W-40 dino oil as an available option.
Sure. For those of you living in an icebox, I agree. For most of us, that's not the case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.