Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m planning to get underneath my ‘15 next weekend and clean the frame, power wash, apply some type of undercoat. I was about to order fluid film on amazon, then saw a product called woolwax come up as well..

Anybody use this? Is it better then fluid film? They offer a kit with a spray gun that’s run by your compressor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only thing I have used that works amazing, is Amsoil HD metal protector, sprays on and drys to a wax like film. I have done several vehicles and my 4wheelers, after 15years of my mud and other things the 4wheeler frame looks new still. Sorry no info on the other two products.

I’m planning to get underneath my ‘15 next weekend and clean the frame, power wash, apply some type of undercoat. I was about to order fluid film on amazon, then saw a product called woolwax come up as well..

Anybody use this? Is it better then fluid film? They offer a kit with a spray gun that’s run by your compressor.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
With the way these things rust this talk should have its own sub thread.

I believe wool wax is just a thicker fluid film.

My approach to this kind of stuff is to clean and degrease everything. Take care of the rust you can see with some sort of paint (POR15), look everywhere... frame, suspension bits, bottom of cab/bed. If the paint needs a UV blocker apply that afterwards. Once that is dry, now it’s time for your Fluid Film or like product. FF stays wet and seeps everywhere, so painting anything afterwards is gonna be a PITA.

Get FF everywhere!! In the frame, in the wheel wells(above the liners), in the doors, in the cab breathers, every hole in the chassis....EVERYWHERE. Remember, these thing rust from the inside out.

You’ll have to keep up with FF, at the least, annually before winter.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
The only thing I have used that works amazing, is Amsoil HD metal protector, sprays on and drys to a wax like film. I have done several vehicles and my 4wheelers, after 15years of my mud and other things the 4wheeler frame looks new still. Sorry no info on the other two products.

I love MP. I usually add it after I paint the POR and before the Corrosion Free. It dries so it doesn’t creep as well as FF and Corrosion Free.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
If you're gonna do all that, I'd clean and spray paint whatever is, should be or used to be painted black.
Save the fluid film for next fall, before winter hits, IMO.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Sound reasoning with the cleaning/painting.

I'll add that anti rust spray does best when sprayed in the height of summer, as the heat helps it fog into uneven surfaces & crevices well before the cooler weather arrives.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Fluid film and woolwax are made by the same company. Woolwax is just a but more heavy duty and doesn't small like bigfoots undercarriage. I've used fluid film for 4 years. Love it. Just used the amsoil mphd on our jeep. For high wear areas I like it. It wont run off like fluid film can. Well to an extent. I like how fluid film soaks into the metal. Inside frame rails, doors and rockers I will continue with fluid film as it creeps. But axles and frame rails i will use amsoil. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
440 Posts
LPS 3 is very similar and does a great job of protecting from rust. It's the only thing I use on my salt truck. It won't wash off like Fluid Film.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've used all sorts over the years and have found the amsoil metal protect HD to work the best for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Woolwax has the same creeping & migration qualities as Fluid Film. However Woolwax is much more resistant to wash-off and provides protection for a much longer period of time. Also, Woolwax has no smell.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I've always used Fluid Film but plan to try Wool Wax this time.

·
Registered
678 Posts
first time i've heard of Woolwax. I've used both Fluid Film and NHOU, currently I have a coat of NHOU on the truck. I might give this Woolwax a try.

either way, i think as long as you're using these products you're doing 100 times better than people not doing anything.

I also coat my truck twice a year. heavy coat in the fall and a heavy coat in the spring (outside and inside the frame) so i never have to worry about losing the protection. I think with my coating interval i really dont have to worry about anything no matter which product i use. I've had my truck for two years and now there is a thick layer of oil/gunk on it (its a good thing)

·
Registered
24 Posts

What kind of items is everybody utilizing to keep erosion from the street salt? Since new my truck has been in the south however now that I'm up north this winter I need to attempt to keep rust and consumption from the poo they apply on the streets.

The two choices in my general vicinity have all the earmarks of being either Fluid Film or NH Oil Undercoating. Does anybody have any involvement with either?

·
Registered
967 Posts
So yesterday I sprayed my one ton dump with Wool Wax. It sprays fine from the same gun I already had for Fluid Film.

In my opinion the Wool Wax is the superior product. Much thicker, and if you get black like I did, you can see where you’ve sprayed and where you haven’t more easily.

The downside is you tend to use more. One gallon was not enough for me.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
What kind of items is everybody utilizing to keep erosion from the street salt? Since new my truck has been in the south however now that I'm up north this winter I need to attempt to keep rust and consumption from the poo they apply on the streets.

The two choices in my general vicinity have all the earmarks of being either Fluid Film or NH Oil Undercoating. Does anybody have any involvement with either?
now that you are up north take some pics of your rust free truck and save them. A couple of winters and the rust will appear.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts

I pay $13 a month for delta sonic unlimited car wash, so I drive through it every single day that it’s not raining or snowing. Current truck is through 3 Chicagoland winters, lives outside, and still looks brand new underneath. Same with all my other vehicles. No coating has ever touched the undercarriage. All the coatings I’ve seen are a big grimy mess.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I pay $13 a month for delta sonic unlimited car wash, so I drive through it every single day that it’s not raining or snowing. Current truck is through 3 Chicagoland winters, lives outside, and still looks brand new underneath. Same with all my other vehicles. No coating has ever touched the undercarriage. All the coatings I’ve seen are a big grimy mess.
Not everyone has the option, Jimmy. Where I live there is only one manual car wash in town and half the time it isn’t working.

Oil undercoating is messy, but the Fluid Film isn’t so bad. Having that layer between your steel underside and the salty slush sure makes me feel better.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I am into my 4th can of Amsoil Metal Protector,the red plastic straws will not stay in place.
:mad::mad:
Is there some trick to this?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts