Cummins Diesel Forum banner

fluid change 2004 auto tranny

786 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  DBLR 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this has been asked. Next week i want to change my tranny fluid not a problem. I tow a 7000lb trailer so should i and if so how do i do the t/conv? And what about the front and rear diff. Is there a manual for this?

Thanks guys.

PS what type of fluid for the diff's

#2 · (Edited)
For my 06, the dealer told me to change it out every 60k and to do a flush rather then a drain and fill. Their flush uses some kind of machine to force fluid from one to the other and it flushes the t/c while it's at it. The dealer quoted me $140 for the flush to be done. I've heard some folks say they took in their own fluid to the dealer (like Amsoil or Royal Purple) and the dealer used it instead of the stuff they stocked. Depends who you know out there i guess, i'm not sure.

As for the front and rear diff...nothing to it (I do a full cover removal, rather then crack, drain, seal up and fill back up as I like to inspect the insides). All I did was first i broke all the bolts lose on the diff cover and then continue working all the way around until you get some drips...then slowly work them off all the way around, starting at the bottom so that as the others loosen, the fluid starts to drain a bit faster. Once its done draining, pull the rest of the bolts off and remove the cover. Wipe the cover down with a clean rag and inspect the gasket as you will probably be reusing it . If you think there might be a problem, go get new ones...but usually you can reuse the original gasket unless it's torn or stretched. At this point, I like to inspect the gears and the "left overs" at the bottom of the pumpkin as this will tell me if stuff's been grinding off or not. Once I'm done with that, put the gasket back on the cover and line up a few bolts so that it's not slopping around while you're trying to get the cover back on. Screw in all your bolts by finger, screwing it in only a few threads (enough to hold the cover on) at first so that you can make sure all bolts make it through the gasket and once everything looks (or feels) good, then tighten them a bit more until all of the bolts have full finger resistance...then use your ratchet to finish up the job, criss-crossing like you would the bolt pattern on your rims. Torque them down to 30 ft-lbs at the end and then once you've filled your diff back up (see the line on the cover...that's where you fill it to), then put the plug back in and torque it back down to 24 ft-lbs. That's it...except I clean off the outside of my diff covers really good with anything that will evaporate after spraying it on and that way the next day, i can take a peak and watch for any leaks.

If you are not a fan of Amsoil, then the same numbers below will work...just make sure it's synthetic fluid, like what they put in from the factory. If you like the Amsoil product, you might chime in to the Amsoil dealers on here and find out what's best to your situation, but I believe I put their synthetic 75W-140 in my 04.5 because at the time i was doing some hauling with it, otherwise synthetic 75W-90 will do fine. Just depends on how much heat you expect to build up in there (towing vs. empty).

I think that's about it...anyone with any other additions or changes?

#3 ·
I just drop the tranny pan to drain and look things over, then replace the pan and add new fluid. The gaskets on the tranny pan and the diffs are reusable. So unless you do something way wrong, you should be able to reuse them.

I've never done a flush. You hear pro's and con's either way. Your choice.

I use Amsoil 75/110 in my diffs. Don't tow alot, but a little more protection for when I do. Most dealers, or oil change-it places don't pull the diff covers. They just suck out the old oil through the fill hole and refill. I'd rather know how things are looking and that I don't have a wear problem going on.

Have fun.

Randy

#4 ·
I dont know how mechanically inclined you are but while your in the tranny I would adjust the bands if they have never been done. I just did mine last weekend, 34k and they were a little out of adjustment. I have heard some say leave the bands alone if it's not slipping, but the way I look at is, if it's slipping it's already too late and besides if the service manual calls for it every 30k then better safe than sorry. That's my .02

#5 ·
Being its a 2004 and if you don't know if its ever been flushed before and you decide you want to do so then i would ask the person doing the work this question. Is the flush machine your using a fluid exchange ( one that uses the trans own pump to exchange the fluid) or one that is a power flush that has its own pump and use high fluid pressure to flush out the old fluid. If they say its a power flush then I would not let them do it as it could loses up varnish that could get lodged in the trans an later on come lose and screw up your trans. My self based on advice from several rebuilders is that all you need to do is drop the pan and install a new filter and top off the fluid. If a trans flush is not done right it can cause problems with the trans and screw it up. Also if Dodge thought it was a good idea or was required to have it flushed they would put it in writing in the owner manual so that you would make sure it was done at every trans service.

JMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.