Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

I was reading the Vacuum/Power Steering Pump Seal Replacement Tech Article by 12valveterror.

I have a question, yet the article is locked down... so I'll post it here.

The post was originally intended for the Tech Article, that's why it's "addressed" to 12valveterror... yet anybody that has insight, please voice your opinion.

===========
Hello!

1st, thank you very much for the write-up.
It has helped a LOT while performing this repair in my '95.

Have a question: (for you, and/or anyone that can answer)
I read in one of the diesel magazines (don't remember which one, I'm subscribed to three of them and I can't find the article now):::
I read that the vacuum pump, you can take the four vanes and 'turn them around' so their un-used edge is facing out.
(( ie: the outer edge is "run down" from all these years of use... yet the "inside" edge is still new ))

What do you think?
Would this be wise to do now that I'm in there?

vacuumPump.jpg

Tomorrow I'm finishing the job, as it's almost midnight over here, and tomorrow I start the day early.

Thank you for the part number, as I was able to go straight to Cummins and order the repair kit without fuss.
Side-Note: Kudos to Cummins Caribbean. They didn't have the kit in stock, yet they ordered it for me, and it arrived less than 48 hours later. Paid 15 or 16 dollars. w00t!

The only other two things I have pending is:
1- get new bolts for the center section-to-power steering pump
Some crappy mechanic worked on the unit at some point, and only used two bolts to reassemble everything. Adding insult to injury, one of the bolts is not the original one, so the guy had to use three washers to "add space" so the bolt would actually 'tighten' the unit together. Sheeshh...
2- Now that the pumps unit is out, I want to clean that area down there. There's the "Cheetos style grease cakes" stuck to a lot of stuff. I know I have to be very careful not to drop anything into the timing case.

Thanks again for the help!

Have a good one!

-- AJ

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
unless you plan to machine a new surface inside the bore, I wouldnt do it. the vanes have worn into the bore and vice/versa, flipping them will put a new edge ONLY on the vanes. so if there is any wear or abnormality in the bore, the new vanes will not seat, or worse may jam.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't plan to do the machining of the surfaces.
Your argument makes sense.

Thanks for the reply.
I wanted to ask, rather than either (1) mess up a good vacuum pump, or (2) miss an opportunity to "make something work better" (<-- not the case here)

Best regards!

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
i would have to say the same thing too.

Unless your going to clean up the bore, you are likely going to end up with something worse than what you started with!

·
Registered
17,600 Posts
The vacuum pump is pretty durable. Other than replacing the seal several times mine has worked just fine for all these miles, and will be mounted on the engine I am prepping in the garage even though it came with one.

·
Registered
142 Posts
also dont forget your powersteering is driven by the vac pump and if it were to seize or run out of round you could very easily destroy the drive to your power steering pump.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
AJ i dont think you have to flip the vanes over, whats in there should work perfectly fine, it already has a good sealing edge and the only way it could potentially stop working are if the vanes got too short in length from wearing down that they wouldnt provide vacuum.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies!!
I am mid-way done with the fix over here (have to juggle non-Cummins responsibilites :( ).

I snapped some nice close-up pictures of the vanes and inside of the vacuum pump's chamber.
I will post those up in a little while.

Have an awesome day everyone! :)

-- AJ

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics

Ok, finished the job last night... all is good.

Hooked everything back up, replaced the vacuum hose that goes to the brake booster as the old one was 'mushy' and probably collapsing with the vacuum.

Anyway, I snapped some pics, here are the two most interesting.

The first, the vanes I did not flip.
:thumbsup:
vanes2.jpg

A second picture, a close up of one of the vanes, plus the housing.
As was mentioned here, there are 'scratch marks' (hone marks?) in the housing that correspond to the wear pattern on the vanes.
vane65.jpg

Here is a zoom-in of the picture above:
vanesCLOSE.jpg

Thanks for the feedback everyone! :thumbsup:

-- AJ

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts