Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man my wife wanted to go to recycling then go get smoothies from this new place with our two lil girls age 2 and 7 months. well on the way back after smoothies my dash pings me saying low tire pressure and my passenger rear went from 65 to 30 to 10 to 0 by time I exit off the hwy and enter some parking lot.

my wife wanted to call triple A but I was like I can change the tire no biggie (haha FML) well i go get the jack and rods out to lift the truck and remove the spare and this is where the fun begins. I had to youtube how to remove the freaking jack out of the truck. you remove the plastic cover from the passenger side to revel the jack and one would assume you can lift the jack out hahaha no, there is a screw and the whole metal bracket of jack and bars come out. Like who would of thunk that lol. Ok now i got the jack out and and use the tools to break the nuts on the tire no biggie, now time to drop the spare tire. I go and assemble the extension to drop the spare and fit it through the hole in the bumper area but Ram decided hey lets make this difficult and make it where its open space and you have to be really darn good and getting the extension to fit on the rod that sits about 6-8 ins away from the hole. (this is much easier to drop the spare in my 2nd gen) .

Luckily we got smoothies as my wife is letting my 2 yr old drink it and playing youtube on the phone to entertain her while iam trying to get the spare down. After 10 min i got it down and its time to jack the truck up. well I take the jack place it and guess what the extensions they put in the truck don't really fit in the slot of the jack so i can kind of place it in and start lifting the truck up. Well the jack finally makes contact with the axle and guess what it just spins and spins and cant even lift the rear end of the truck. Like WTF Ram how do you give me a jack that cant even lift my truck up so i had the wife call triple A and have someone put my spare on as well the jack sucks in our trucks.

TLDR the jacks in the truck suck and you should buy a bottle jack to keep in the truck.

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,797 Posts
Come to think of it. . .
I dont think I've ever even seen the jack and crank for my 2016 so I'b probably be hard pressed to use it myself. :ROFLMAO:
Glad you made it home to tell about it. (y)

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come to think of it. . .
I dont think I've ever even seen the jack and crank for my 2016 so I'b probably be hard pressed to use it myself. :ROFLMAO:
Glad you made it home to tell about it. (y)
i mean i never thought about it, but in my 2nd gen it sits in the rear sit and kind of has clips that keeps it in place so i just assume it was the same. defy not. if you ever look at it idk in my opinion you wouldn't pull out the whole bracket to get the jack out. Oh and guess what Ram has a video how to replace your tire but they skip how to remove the jack. they literally just say remove the jack and move on. I am sitting here like iam not dumb but wtf i have to youtube this crap. There are videos of how to remove the jack so apparently others thought this was to difficult as well to make a YouTube video.

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Really want some fun. Try lowering the spare with a cab over camper hanging about 2 ft past the rear bumper. After doing it one time I made an adapter to use a ratchet wrench.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,797 Posts
Really want some fun. Try lowering the spare with a cab over camper hanging about 2 ft past the rear bumper. After doing it one time I made an adapter to use a ratchet wrench.
^^^ Agreed!
...Not that the OEM jack could ever lift a wheel off the ground with the camper on the truck. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: WillyJ

·
Registered
2021, 2500 Bighorn Night Edition, 6.7, 4x4,Pedal Monster, RB 20 steps, diamondback atv cover
38 Posts
Man that sucks. I’d refuse to give up, finding anything I could to stack under the jack! I bet you got points with the wife though. Mine knows I’m too stubborn to get help.

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,797 Posts
I've done it. But a good bottle jack is better.
^^^ Agreed!
I have an 8 ton bottle jack on the truck and my spare is where the back seat used to be for two reasons...
1.) I can get to it easily with the camper on the truck.
2.) The more weight I can move forward the better.
My rear axle GAWR is 7000 Lb and I'm over that even before I load the generator or fill up the water tanks! :rolleyes:

One other thing...
That heated leather Longhorn rear seat is heavy as all hell. I was glad to get it off the truck and gain a little payload for my tools, winch, DOT safety gear, recovery equipment, etc...

A picture of my spare and non-existant back seat. . .

And yes, everything is strapped down and/or bolted to the floor & back wall.(y)
-Ej- 🍺

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man that sucks. I’d refuse to give up, finding anything I could to stack under the jack! I bet you got points with the wife though. Mine knows I’m too stubborn to get help.
Well I gave up as the stock jack made contact and coundt lift the tire. Idk what else to do after that but can tell you when I got home I ordered a bottle jack

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
First time for a lot of things will make you scratch your head about what the engineers (and bean counters) were thinking.

Getting the jack out from under the seat never seemed like a problem to me other than the threads on that thumbscrew can get corroded and it will not turn. There were some posts a long while ago about putting antisieze on those threads. I recommend it.

Maybe something is wrong with your jack if it spins without lifting the truck. It should either lift the truck, fall over, bend the jack, or not spin at all, not just spin and do nothing. I have used mine (2015 model year) to lift a front wheel off the ground.

I carry a tire plug kit and a good tire air pump (one capable of filling our tires). Carrying a plug kit has saved me multiple times over the years, in this truck and my prior ones.

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I bought a cordless impact wrench w 405 ft.lbs of torque about a month ago for $110 +tax. Made by Auto Jare, bought on Amazon. I already had the 24mm deepwell impact socket that others on this website told me I needed. Fits about the same as the 15/16" crossbar lug wrench I incorrectly used to use. Smoothies, good call. High cal soft ice cream with chocolate dip may lead to divorce.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First time for a lot of things will make you scratch your head about what the engineers (and bean counters) were thinking.

Getting the jack out from under the seat never seemed like a problem to me other than the threads on that thumbscrew can get corroded and it will not turn. There were some posts a long while ago about putting antisieze on those threads. I recommend it.

Maybe something is wrong with your jack if it spins without lifting the truck. It should either lift the truck, fall over, bend the jack, or not spin at all, not just spin and do nothing. I have used mine (2015 model year) to lift a front wheel off the ground.

I carry a tire plug kit and a good tire air pump (one capable of filling our tires). Carrying a plug kit has saved me multiple times over the years, in this truck and my prior ones.
Well no patching this tire the hole was in the side. But got some new shoes just now as no one had them on hand.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
^^^ Agreed!
...Not that the OEM jack could ever lift a wheel off the ground with the camper on the truck. :ROFLMAO:
Mine did on my 2nd gen with a 2200# camper on the back in Baja. As soon as I got home I went to a 12 ton bottle jack. On my '07 I use a Hummer scissors jack I obtained from Ebay. Agile Offroad has a billet adapter. It's effortless and has a very stable base.

·
Registered
296 Posts
One thing Ford did right……they furnished a bottle jack with a telescoping ram that will fit under the axle with a flat tire. Yup, I kept it when I traded the Ford for my RAM!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts