Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have an 07.5 and i'm not sure what flash it has. i'm new to this and its all very greek. i want to unplug my EGR today but i want to make sure that my truck wont die when i get down the road....i thought i had read something a while back saying that certain flashes on the new diesels dont support the EGR being unplugged and they die out??? just want to make sure before i pull the plug

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
Ok i have an 07.5 and i'm not sure what flash it has. i'm new to this and its all very greek. i want to unplug my EGR today but i want to make sure that my truck wont die when i get down the road....i thought i had read something a while back saying that certain flashes on the new diesels dont support the EGR being unplugged and they die out??? just want to make sure before i pull the plug
it should only cause an issue if you unplug it while your truck is going through a regen. that is where the butterfly is open allowing the exhaust gas back through the intake. unplug it while the engine is off. then start it. if you run into issues down the road just pull over turn it off and plug it back in. i was nervous the first time I did it and once I did it all is good. i will say this, if you do it while the engine is running it puts it into a mild limp mode and you can feel the power loss. just unplug while it's off and you should be good. i also velcro'd the wire to the egr so it would not melt or get caught in anything. :thumbsup:

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
used to do it one week off one week on but now its like a month off and a week on. i really don't like the egr system. i'm just nervous about voiding my warranty by removing the egr. i havent decided if i'm going to keep it or not. if i keep it, i should get rid of all the emissions junk asap.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wanna delete everything also but i'm like you i'm so nervous to do anything and i def dont want to lose my warranty!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has Anyone Tried This

I bought an EGR Valve and I am going to unplug the one on the motor and plug the other in as a dummy to see if I can avoid the soft codes, with the dummy hooked up. I have a 08 with flashes; I'll have to look under the hood to see which one.
In the beginning I kept getting CELs and kept complaining about the mileage. No improvement on the mileage but the CELs are gone, for months now. I have 12,500 miles on it and hand calc average is 13.1, with a high of 18.3 (all turnpike at 72 mph, mostly cruise control) low of 9.35 on first tank over 18 months ago. Since, the low is 11.01 winter driving and a tank of fuel that lasted 3 weeks and driven almost every day short hauls to work and back, 3 miles one way.
I'm ready to try mods to improve economy, I don't need more power, I've always had gas motors and this makes them look like I was driving a four cyl economy car power wise. Want to try the simple mods first to see how it goes, I have a 1500 mile trip planned in November and want to get some test miles in before then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts