Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i was on the highway next to my buddy and i floored it messin around. as soon as i passed him he called me and said a 2 foot flame shot out of my exhaust. i pulled over and checked everything and it seems to be fine? it was a flame not a glow or sparks and i cannot find anything about a flame online. my conclusion was that when i hammered it to much fuel entered and not enough air, so i ordered a cfm+ intake. any imput welcome!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
heres whats on my truck

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
heres whats on my truck
that be a sight to see I think. although it still makes you wonder what caused it.

is it possible for an IP to randomly shoot fuel outside of timing?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have no idea what caused it because any explanation other than not enough air would have caused serious damage but i drove the truck 100miles since then and everything is normal?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Leaking injector? :confused013:

Reactions: mblueye

·
Registered
13,852 Posts
the CFM intake isn't going to do anything... how long were you on it? what were your EGT's? late timing and/or a lot of cetane booster will put flames out the exhaust... can't be seen during the day often times

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow I should have thought of that. It was like an hour after I fueled up ans I know I put in to much of the additive. Man I hope that's it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
this probably wont help but it was entertaining at the time

ive seen a powerstroke topped of with premium put out a few flames:hehe: enough to light up the woods at 50 yards

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
yeah im sure youll be okay. also u have to member if your blowing a lot of smoke thats a lot of unburned fuel and is still a possible ignition source with high heat temps.

ive seen a powerstroke blowin 2 foot flames because it had a falty injector but it constantly blew a flame at idle hahaha

·
Registered
271 Posts
With your hy at 46 psi and your egt's sky high i bet you just lit some soot in your exhaust.
you have a DPF and didnt even realize it! :hehe: like he said, probably just had some soot built up that burned its way out

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
yeah im sure youll be okay. also u have to member if your blowing a lot of smoke thats a lot of unburned fuel and is still a possible ignition source with high heat temps.

ive seen a powerstroke blowin 2 foot flames because it had a falty injector but it constantly blew a flame at idle hahaha
you mean this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc

i'd say fuel build up and or too much additive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't worry about it. Like a friend told me, "Proper fuel setting is for about a foot of flame out the exhaust. Don't live long, but sure as hell runs while it's alive.

·
Registered
395 Posts
With your hy at 46 psi and your egt's sky high i bet you just lit some soot in your exhaust.
i agree with this guy:thumbsup:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i am almost positive it was to much additive in the fuel, but was wondering is there any way to waste gate the hy? because a bigger turbo is WAYYYY out of my price range right now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts