Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a week in the mountains of Colorado. I was probably pulling around 7k pounds, it pulled like a champ. Hardly any down shifting and the exhaust brake was awesome! Fuel mileage was around 10-11 ish though....

The truck is bone stock, I know I should delete but just worried about loosing my warranty.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
IM deleted and get about 10 towing my 16k 5er.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I'm bone stock towing sig. 5er @ 15,500# loaded, towing in the mountains of WV, TN, NC, SC and VA and have gotten anywhere from 9.5 to 11 mpg..usually run 55-62 mph (hit 65 on occasion, but drop back), get my best mpg at those speeds with 4:10 rear end...truck runs and tows great.....

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I'm running similar speeds but have 3.73s and 37s.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I understand pulling in Michigan is nothing like pulling out west or in the mountains down south, but I pull a 34 Montana that's around 10,500 loaded and I'm getting 10.5mpg hand calculated. I got 3.54 gears, 265 17's instead of the 245 16's that came on it, and I was running 75-77mph with no water/meth spray and my Comp on 1x5 setting. However, this last tank was empty running to and from work and I got 11.5. I think my vp is getting ready to puke. I don't have the power that I used to and it's got about 75k on it with the box on all the time. I'm gonna put on a new vp, I just don't know which one. Blue Chip Diesel or Industrial Injection pump??:confused013:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
^^^^Some ST tires found on TT's and 5er's are only speed rated to 65 mph...Even some LT tires on 5er's aren't speed rated for 75 mph and up. You might want to find out what your tires are speed rated for..I've seen some pretty extensive damage to 5er's and TT's caused from blow out's and/or tread separation.....just FYI

Reactions: dozer12216

·
Air Force Vet
2,423 Posts
I have a stock truck also. They tow like a monster! Dodge/Cummins are the best all around truck one can buy. I can't say enough good things about my truck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a stock truck also. They tow like a monster! Dodge/Cummins are the best all around truck one can buy. I can't say enough good things about my truck.
:agree2: Very true! Also, in my experience with all 3 diesels, for the most part mileage has never changed that much on a stock truck pulling heavy or just driving empty. Within a few mpg of course.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
^^^^Some ST tires found on TT's and 5er's are only speed rated to 65 mph...Even some LT tires on 5er's aren't speed rated for 75 mph and up. You might want to find out what your tires are speed rated for..I've seen some pretty extensive damage to 5er's and TT's caused from blow out's and/or tread separation.....just FYI
Not trying to hi jack this thread or anything, But it funny you mention tires. I got two neighbors in my sub that also have 5er's. The one has a 2010 38' Montana toy hauler that he pulls with a 2012 Cummins, the other neighbor has an 08 38' Montana toy hauler that he pulls with an 06 Cummins and mine is an 04 34' Montana non-toy hauler that's pulled by my 99 Cummins. The 2010 is a snobird and on their way home they had a tire blowout. It didn't do a lot of damage, but it did enough. He's got Goodyear Marathon tires on it from the factory. The 08 had a blowout last week and did some fair damage to the trailer. I don't know what tires he's got on it but they are still the factory tires on it from 08. Mine HAD Tacoma tires on it from the factory until this last spring when I put on some different wheels and bought BFG Commercial tires from Discount Tire. I was really nervous pulling the trailer last year because of the age of the tires. They held up well, but were starting to get some cracks in the sidewall. The BFG's I got are 10 ply load range E and speed rated for 106mph. The 2010 replaced his tire with the same Goodyear and the 08 is going to Discount Tire this week and getting some new BFG's like I got. BTW, neither for these guys will pull any faster than 65mph. Most of the time they run 60. The 2010 with the 2012 Cummins gets 13-14mpg pulling his 5er at 60mph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pretty much did the same thing last month with my 2500. Towed a rockcrawler on a trailer from Denver to Moab and back. About 7k lbs. Cruise control set at 65-70 in 5th (G56), AC on, stereo blasting, didn't break a sweat.

EVIC said I was getting ~13mpg, but I didn't crunch numbers to validate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
:thumbsup:Speed definitely matters when towing.
Watching your speed/ RPM's is even more important when towing. If you want good MPG, your going to be passed, your choice.

·
Registered
975 Posts
On occasion I rip 13K or more lbs up the road at 80 mph with zero problemo. The posters are right about the tires being rated for it too because baaad things can happen as a result thereof. Case and point shown below. :shock: However, this was a cheap trailer that I had at the time but the tires were fairly new 10 ply rated.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I'm Seeing more and more TT's and 5er's along side of the road on the interstates with blow out's anymore...Most are equipped with the China made ST tires and ARE speed rated at 65 mph....

Someone earlier mentioned that if you want good mpg, you're going to get passed.....who cares? For what fuel cost, 55-62mph is fine and I've never held traffic up, nor am I in a race to get somewhere....If some had seen the damage a blowout can do to a TT or 5th wheel, or tried to make an emergency maneuver while towing a TT or 5th wheel, they just might back off on the throttle a bit...For the money I've put in my 5er and truck, and for the security of my family, as well as those around me, I will run 55-62 mph, get better mpg, be able to control my combo better in case of a blowout, or if I have to make an emergency maneuver...it's just common sense...

·
Registered
132 Posts
tires

when i learned about how tire deflection raises heat inside a tire as
the speed goes up, i realized how important tire ratings are..

·
Registered
183 Posts
I notice deleting it didn't help me loaded on my mileage. It just help me on the unloaded side far fuel mileage.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm Seeing more and more TT's and 5er's along side of the road on the interstates with blow out's anymore...Most are equipped with the China made ST tires and ARE speed rated at 65 mph...
My 33' Holiday Rambler travel trailer has (11 year old) Goodyear Marathons but I'm thinking I wanna go with something else next time. What are you running?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts