Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2500 (first diesel) on 4/2 and had the chance to tow for the first time this past week. Took a trip from Maryland down to Hatfield McCoy in West Virginia for a little 4-wheelin' fun (about 400 miles each way). I was only towing my 12' trailer with 2 ATV's, so about 3500 pounds with another 500 in the bed. All I can say is this drivetrain is awesome. Now granted, it wasn't a LOT of weight, but hitting the mountains was a pleasure. Climbing was a breeze and the exhaust brake, WOW! (My friend driving with said he may have to buy one just for the sound). Some of the switchbacks were pretty severe (about 10-12 turns) and never had to use the brakes but once or twice (when the logging trucks were out of control). I was very impressed with the transmission in tow/haul mode also. Very smooth and no gear hunting.

As a side note, no codes yet (knock on wood), but did get a "Service Air Filter" message on the way down. Have no idea why, truck has a total of 1500 miles on her.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my first of many tows. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Congrats on the new truck! I've been meaning to make it down to Hatfield McCoy for a while now and just haven't got around to it yet. Hopefully I'll get down there this summer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had the same service air filter msg come up at about 2000 after shutting the truck off it cleared itself. Thought that was kinda odd also.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
My first towing experiences were almost the same...towing around 4000lbs...like it was not there. It is so nice to not "fight" the hills. I can also say the same thing about the trany not hunting for gears. Even if you are not in tow/haul mode and you are going down a hill the truck will hold a gear if you are coasting and not on the throttle.

How was your fuel economy on your trip? What is the quading like there? (please pm me if you would like to tell me about the area)

Good luck with your new truck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ride down was fairly flat and averaged about 14.2 MPG hand-calculated, overhead said 14.6. Never really got a good idea while there, could never fill up because the pump would cut off at $100 (ouch). Overhead said about 13.3 MPG in the mountains. I was actually happy with the numbers since it is not broken in yet.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I got that same overhead fault at about 500 miles and now at 5K it has never come back on. Good to hear you like your truck

Chris

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had my first tow about a month ago. I pulled a 34 ft. airstream camper from northern Alabama to Panama City Beach. I was 9500 lbs and also a bumper pull. Talking about nervous! My buddy riding with me has been pulling trailers for a while and he thought it was the funniest thing to see me all nervous. He said just put you blinker on for about 3 seconds the start easing over in the other lane, they will get the he!! out of your way. And they sure enough did. About 3 hours into the trip it felt second nature.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just picked up my truck on 04/18 had my first tow on 04/20, hauled a small load of hay on my bumper hitch trailer, trailer is approx 1600 had about 1600 in the bed and 4500 on the trailer for a total of about 7500, like you guys said, nice not to fight the hills!! Going got 15.5 on the over head. On the way back by the end of the trip I was at 17.5. Round trip was a little over 300 miles. Bytor, good luck with the new truck!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was driving in snow/slush the other day and got the service air filter warning with no change in performance. I had about an inch of slush coating the front bumper and grill. Figured it was this that was impeding air flow. After a few more miles the warning disappeared.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Air Filter Service warning did clear after restarting the truck. Did not see any performance issues while the warning was on either so I am not too concerned. The manual says that debris/snow/slush can cause the warning as thook said, but I was driving on a sunny 70 degree day. Who knows.

Looks like everyone has good experiences towing. My wife towed her 3 horse trailer for the first time and she was a little nervous at first (probably not as nervous as me :eek:) but has already commented how nice it tows.

Good luck to all, these things are awesome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the service air filter message after I put on my AFE Stage II SI intake when I mashed the gas from a stop sign with the e brake on so I ripped the intake out and was going to sell it but if some other have been having this warning in the overhead it may be ok.

Does anyone know how the air filter sensor works? Resistance? Partical count?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Got to tow my boat for the first time in my new truck. About 9500lb total.
WOW!!!
I used to tow the boat w/ a V10 gasser.
It's like night and day. Just for kicks and giggles decided to pass a car going up a pretty steep hill. Not even an issue with this truck. Gas milage, I don't even care with this kind of performance, but ohd showed 14.5 by end of trip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts