Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just did my first titration. I'm getting my oil from a gas station owned by some foreigners. They've agreed to let me take their oil for free, about 10 gal. a week or so. They change it out two times a week, on wed. and sat. I got my sample on sat, and I let it settle for 24 hrs. I just finished my first titration, and it only took 1ml. Does that sound right? There's a layer of white crud at the bottom of it right now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Make a 1L test batch with that math.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be getting about 5 gallons on wed. I'll do a titration and a small batch with it before I proceed any further.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
walk us through your test. Let us know what your using, how much, heated temp and so on. It will help us get you an answer

·
Registered
397 Posts
How long has the titrate been sitting? I've never had a layer of crude even after 30 minutes of sitting. It would turn lighter pink but always mixed. You should always do 3 titrate and average it out.

Eugene

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I did three titrations each at 1ml. The oil was at room temp, and I used the .1% solution. I took one ml. of oil mixed with 10 ml. of isopropyl alcohol (93% pure), added phenol indicator, then titrated with the solution (KOH). Each titration came out to 1ml.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Try a test batch of 3.5g per liter of lye.

·
Registered
397 Posts
That sounds right. I'd do what Hipsi suggest, a liter test batch when you get the oil. Except, 8g of KOH since you tritate w/ KOH solution.

Eugene

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
When I first started making bio I was told to heat my oil then run my titration test. you may want to give a try and see if you get any different results. As far as the Gunk your talking about...I have no idea, maybe really nasty dirty oil? Although you need more lye to clean it up

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
i just made my first test batch also, and had some white stuff floating in the glycerin for a little while but after about 4 hours, its gone now...???

I also only used .5ml of solution before it went pink for 30 seconds. ???????????

Heres some pics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts