Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have scoured the forum, but haven’t found the specific information - looking for some guidance. I am a long time scavenger of
Info on here, incredible resources.

I loaded the fam up and we went from AZ to MN and back in our 2011 2500 CTD mega cab, deleted, G56. Minimaxx programming, on 35’s. Delete was done by previous owner. We were pulling 7000 lbs bumper pull trailer.

Pulling hills truck consistently defueled at 220 Coolant temps. I kept the rpms up, and the fan spinning. Once we crested, temps would drop. Is this considered hot for this motor? I felt like we were not pulling that much weight and we should of been able to go faster than 40 mph on the way from Phoenix to flagstaff. We would stay at 217 if I kept RPMs up. Anything faster than 40 mph, the minimax would bark “221 and de fueling, hot coolant”

I also consistently have a vibration in the gas pedal at 2200 rpm - 2500 rpm that seems to be rotational. Doesn’t matter what gear. I have also scoured this website, with limited information. Im not sure if this is normal either. We do have a southbend clutch.

·
Registered
362 Posts
First let me tell you that those defuels are very dangerous for your truck's head gasket. What happens is the truck is putting turbo boost pressure into the cylinders and then the fuel supply is cut off and it causes extreme upper cylinder pressure. I would recommend removing all defuels and just use your right foot to control the amount of fuel going into the engine. I lost my truck's head gasket on an extended trip pulling the 32' 5er by these same defuels. Having said this, what level are you running on your MM when your truck gets this warm? You should be running on the #2 setting when towing, on mine it was called "mild", but some others show different names on their MMs. The H&S box tunes are prone to be hard on head gaskets because of their running ATT ( advanced turbo timing). Some of these MM will give you an option to set the timing when the tune is reloaded from stock by way of a prompt but mine didn't, so it has been removed and my truck has since been retuned with a 30hp EZlynk tow tune. I would advise you to get on the MM and delete the tune and reload the tune by following the prompts and when and if it prompts you for timing set it on #2. I have to ask, can you hear the fan clutch engaging when the coolant temp gets to 217F? You should be able to hear it roar when it comes on. My electric clutch got to where it would come on rarely and randomly when my truck heated up, and I did a fan clutch conversion to an old school viscous fan clutch. Also, have you cleaned between the radiator/ ac condensor/ intercooler coils? And if you have how long since this was done? The 35" tires do limit the towing capacity of the truck, but I don't think 7K should be a problem if everything in your truck is functioning properly. BTW, just to rule it out, you should check the level in your trucks coolant reservoir to see if it is full to the point of pushing coolant over the top, or after running it up to operating temp, with engine running, look for air bubbles coming up through the coolant in the reservoir. If either of these two signs are present your truck's HG is blown. Hope this provides some insight into what is happening with your Cummins.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, for the response. A lot of good stuff I didn’t know about.
1. As far as coolant goes. I ran the truck up to operating temp today, left it running and looked inside overflow. Never saw any bubbles. Would it be small bubbles or a simmer?- I will say that in my 5000 miles driven in the last three weeks, I’ve lost .5” of coolant. It was between min/max when I left. It’s now at the minimum.
2. The fan came on at 215-217 like clock work. I don’t know that it roared unless I downshifted. But it came on. Should it be different. What is the part number for the fan clutch?
3.i have been running the minimax on “tow” only one setting past stock. I was told that it was a safe 30hp tune by draconian diesel

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
220 isn't hot with stock fan settings. You seeing fan coming on around 215-217 implies you still have stock fan settings. Shouldn't get over 225.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Copy, sounds to me like I need to scrap the minimax all together. 220 isn’t hot, and the truck should be able to stay under 225?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it safe to assume that I have a head gasket problem because the truck had hot coolant issues? Did minimax ever have the problem of cooling?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Is it safe to assume that I have a head gasket problem because the truck had hot coolant issues? Did minimax ever have the problem of cooling?
You didn't have a hot coolant issue at 220. You had improper defuel settings.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
From what you have stated I don’t think you have lost the truck’s HG, but you are running on borrowed time IMO. I still think the truck is running too hot, especially for no more than it was pulling.

·
Registered
31 Posts
that trucks definitely running warm imo, water pump recall been done?

My 5er comes in at 16.5 on the scales. On a 6% grade i can get the truck up to about 220 than the fan kicks in. Egts make it up to about 1200. That’s me pulling 55 and 60

another thing you need to be concerned about is the temps on that g-56. Mine gets warm in a hurry. I’ve got a southbend dual disk and running the fluid Mercedes Benz recommends for these trucks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So your truck never gets passed 220?

Pulled the CARFAX and the water pump appears stock - not showing that was done as a recall. Was that on all 2011s?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My bad on the recall, it was 13 and up for the water pumps.

no man I don’t ever see warmer than 220 on mine. And it very rarely gets that warm. Most of the time mine stays right around 200 towing the 5th wheel. Unless it’s a steep grade then mine will climb to around 217and the fan kicks in and temps calm back

your truck running H&S tunes. Or you running somebody else’s? Reason I ask, my buddy has a 2010 that randomly overheats and he’s running a minimax with H&s tunes

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Truck is running h and a tuned.
Truck never got passed 220, fan always brought it down, I just never pushed it. Sounds like the programming needs to be upgraded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts