Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I am first time diesel owner and would like some hints on keeping my truck running for awhile. I bought it used, it is a 2001 3500 24v and has about 63,000 miles. It is 4x4 and has manual tranny. Is owning a diesel the same as owning a gas engine truck. I know there are glow plugs in it that need to be warmed up first but what if you forget to warm them up, is that bad for the engine?

Any hints and tips on taking care of my investment will help alot. Thanks.

mightydodge owner

·
Hemi
12,651 Posts
Just keep your filters and fluids changed and you'll be good to go! However I highly recommend getting a better lift pump such as a Airdog. The pumps are known to go out and they usually take the injection pump with it. Are you planning on adding power?

By the way Cummins have grid heaters instead of glow plugs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
First of all only duramax's and powerstrokes have glowplugs, you have a grid heater which is much better. You can start it without letting it cycle in warmer wheather but I would let it cycle when cold. If you want to keep it running for along time get a better lift pump. I have the fass hpfp and I like it alot but fass makes a direct bolt on replacement pump that is great now and it is a little cheaper and has a good warranty. Start running diesel additive in every tank. I run stanadyne blue. It is the only one I will run because it does not contain alcohol and won't dry up any seals. Also it has a cetane boost in it which helps alittle on power. You definatly neet to get a fuel pressure gauge so that you can see what it is doing. If your lift pump does not supply enough fuel to the VP44 inj. pump you will be buying another one of them and that will run you 1200 bucks if you do it yourself. Also if you plan on adding power you will need a new clutch eventually depending on your driving style. I have a Juice with attitude by edge and a 6 speed tranny and on stage six I can slip my stock clutch on take off. Change your oil religously and pick a brand of oil and stick with it. Also change your fuel filter regularly. Other that that you should be golden.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Read Read And Read

I too was a new diesel owner like you. I highly recomend you spend a lot of time on this site reading. As stated earlier you need a after market fass or airdog and a fuel pressure gauge is a must or you will be spending lots of money later. I probably found out to late and will be buying a vp 44 at my diesel shop and having them install it at the tune of atleast $1500.00. One quick check you can do is look for codes. turn your key three times on off on off on off at your odometer it will show pcu and some #'s or done and then ecu and some #'s or done then look up the codes if you get some. however again this is the best place to learn as I am. Good luck

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Welcome! You will find this site to be PRICELESS when it comes to maintaining and modifying your truck. If you learn to like it as much as a lot of us do, become a premium member and support it :thumbsup:

It seems most of the critical stuff has been mentioned, with the exception of 1 thing. Do a search about running 2-stroke TCW-3 oil in your tank instead of an additive like a cetane booster. The oil provides the lubrication that your fuel system (including that $1000 VP44 injection pump) needs, since the new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (15 ppm Sulfur) does NOT provide that lubrication. The sulfur that used to be in diesel (500 ppm levels) provided that lube before. Mopar1973Man has a couple great threads about it, with solid information, straight from Bosch's research. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll search around. The gist of it is that you should run 1 oz of the oil for every gallon in your tank. It turns out to be a 1:128 ratio.

Again, :welcome:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure its not a 53 block.Look on driver side above the oil pan in front.53 is junk,

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
Make sure its not a 53 block.Look on driver side above the oil pan in front.53 is junk,
yeah, no.....:doh:

jes don't worry about that, you already have the truck, so if ya find out, you'll worry yerself to death...:thumbsup:

so, do a better lift pump, fuel pressure gauge, and 2 stroke oil, and you'll be set dude:headbang:

check this site out for lotsa good info:

Home Page

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
No its not some people have no problems with a 53 block. To the OP dont even look and worry yourself just drive the hell out of it.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Like stated earlier READ EVERYTHING ON THIS SITE. Any question or problem that you can dream up has probably been asked 100 times. Just do a search and 9 times out of 10 you'll find an answer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I work at a garage and weve seen 6 53 blocks and 4 of them have been cracked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts