Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
It's a versatile size. I run a 315/75r16 on 16x8's... wears even too.

Reactions: bassetman1974

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
FYI, the 78 up pitman arm actually moves away from the tires when turning, it's a non issue for clearance. The previous design could rub with too big a tire.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
FYI, the 78 up pitman arm actually moves away from the tires when turning, it's a non issue for clearance. The previous design could rub with too big a tire.
It looks like it does, but a big tire (on not enough neg offset wheel) catches up with the arm faster than it swings out of the way, on a right turn. Hard rub at full lock. BTDT.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
78 up or 77 down? I've never run into it on the newer design but have on the earlier one.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
78 up. 93 being my 1sthand experience. 315's on stock ford 16x7 wheels; but 285's clear.

·
Registered
Dodge 1993 W250 Cummins
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks all. You guys have been great with me being new to this Dodge/Cummins stuff. My pickup trucks for over the last 20 years have been Chevy 1\2 tons until they rust out from WI salt. Got 800 miles on this 1993 Dodge so far after it came off blocks where it sat for 15 years. Only thing I have replaced so far is a wiper motor and a steering pump. It runs like a champ!
So, if 16x8 rims with zero offset works with 265 75r 16 tires on this stock truck...that is what I am going to order.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
I have been running the 2nd Gen steel rims, caps and trim rings with 235/85/16's for years, and as mentioned they have a 35mm offset, and have never had them rub on anything. They narrow up the track width of the truck about 1" overall, and you can notice it if your are looking for it, but i really like the look of the rims so just deal with it. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just got this barn find literally out of my neighbor's back yard. 1993 manual 5 speed NV4500.

I put 600 miles on it in the last month and it runs perfect. Steering pump and gear box are shot. Ordered a Red head gear box from Diesel Power. They only voffered the 3 steering wheel turn. Guessing this was stock for my truck, not the 4 turn? Will it work?

Next problem is wheels. I want to get rid of the 6" wheel with 235 85r16 tires, and go with a 16 x 8 inch wheel with 265 75r16 tires. Offset and backspacing has me and every tire guy around me confused. Who makes the correct wheel and correct backspacing? I just want a simple wheel for a 265 75r16 tire.

This is my first restoration project. Normally, I just buy new Silverados every 15 years until they rust out. I'm literally obsessed with this Dodge Cummins. Help is appreciated. Thanks
Hello, I have a 91 not 91.5 and I have 265 75Rx16 on the stock wheels, so I am not sure why everyone is confused. just use the stock wheels.

·
Registered
Dodge 1993 W250 Cummins
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hello, I have a 91 not 91.5 and I have 265 75Rx16 on the stock wheels, so I am not sure why everyone is confused. just use the stock wheels.
Went to my seventh tire shop today to order wheels. The guy wanted no part of it and told me to call Jegs. I guess the confusion is that I am going two inches wider. What I have picked out is the Vision 84 D window 16x8 which has -6mm offset. Guess I'm just going to order them tomorrow and see what happens with 265 75R 16 tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got this barn find literally out of my neighbor's back yard. 1993 manual 5 speed NV4500.

I put 600 miles on it in the last month and it runs perfect. Steering pump and gear box are shot. Ordered a Red head gear box from Diesel Power. They only voffered the 3 steering wheel turn. Guessing this was stock for my truck, not the 4 turn? Will it work?

Next problem is wheels. I want to get rid of the 6" wheel with 235 85r16 tires, and go with a 16 x 8 inch wheel with 265 75r16 tires. Offset and backspacing has me and every tire guy around me confused. Who makes the correct wheel and correct backspacing? I just want a simple wheel for a 265 75r16 tire.

This is my first restoration project. Normally, I just buy new Silverados every 15 years until they rust out. I'm literally obsessed with this Dodge Cummins. Help is appreciated. Thanks
I am very familiar with that truck as I have 3. If the steering gear box will fit it will work but it may try to turn the wheels too far after the stops are reached.
As far as changing the size of the tires I would HIGHLY RECOMEND keeping the stock size rims and tires listed on the door. Engineers at Dodge design the steering and brakes around the stock ones. When you use off set rims, change tire width and diameter or use spacers, you are going to cause premature wear on the steering gear box, ball joints, wheel bearings, increase tire wear from incorrect tire alignment and decrease braking performance with larger diameter tires. If you want the truth go to a reparable alignment and suspension repair shop and have them explain why. Just because different parts are available does not make it a good idea.
Also be aware that the rear 2 rims have to be manually centered on the hubs as they do not center on either the hub or the studs. Correct lug nut torque is 350 ft lbs as once they are centered the torque is supposed to keep them from moving. The owners manual has info on this. Not a good design.
The NV4500 is an outstanding transmission and uses a special oil.
I would also recommend softening the front and rear leaf spring suspension as stock will beat you and the truck............. :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you. You have given me some very good info. I do have a NV4500 replaced by the first owner with all documentation along with a new clutch with under 2000 miles before he put it up on blocks in 2007. It hasn't been on the road since I bought it a month ago. Surprisingly, after nearly 700 miles, nothing leaks with the exception of the before replaced power steering pump and the soon to be replaced steering gear box. Yes, I did order the Borgeson steering shaft.

As for wheels, I've been to six wheel \ tire dealers and no one will sell me a rim because they don't know what to order. I am going from a 16" x 6" wheel with negative 6mm offset with 235 85r 16 tires to a 16" x 8" with 265 75r 16 tire. No one can figure out or find a wheel with correct backspacing so tires don't rub. Its been exhausting. I already have new 265 75 16 tires ready to be mounted.

What looks good to me is a Vision or Cragar soft 8 or D window wheel. Both have 0 offset. Will these work?
The stock rims that come on these trucks have special conical holes in them that mount differently on the front and rear. This may be why the tire shops are having a difficult time finding ones that will work correctly. First gen trucks have some good qualities and, ........ some very bad ones. :cry:

·
Registered
962 Posts
The stock rims that come on these trucks have special conical holes in them that mount differently on the front and rear. This may be why the tire shops are having a difficult time finding ones that will work correctly. First gen trucks have some good qualities and, ........ some very bad ones. :cry:
I'm not sure what conical holes you're referring to unless you're talking about the coined dually wheels...

While I agree that the stock wheels are perfectly fine for 265 tires there is also some information in your last two posts that might not be applicable...

For the truck pictured by the op, (a W250) you don't have suspension ball joints to be worried about and you don't have any special wheel mounting concerns. The stock wheels will use conical lug nuts and the wheels are definitely lug centered. As long as you get wheels and lug nuts that are meant to work together they will center fine. For those lug style wheels you only need around 120 ft/lbs of torque. And while stopping power may be reduced, for many it will be very negligible, especially if the wheels you are getting are lighter than the very dense stock steel wheels. And with 8" wide wheels and reasonable tires you will not need to worry about your wheel bearings, their life won't be affected substantially.

Dually are the wheels are different and need extra care when mounting. They have a centering technique using conical nuts. Those are the wheels with larger 5/8 studs and flat washers that are spec's to 350 ft/lbs.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not sure what conical holes you're referring to unless you're talking about the coined dually wheels...

While I agree that the stock wheels are perfectly fine for 265 tires there is also some information in your last two posts that might not be applicable...

For the truck pictured by the op, (a W250) you don't have suspension ball joints to be worried about and you don't have any special wheel mounting concerns. The stock wheels will use conical lug nuts and the wheels are definitely lug centered. As long as you get wheels and lug nuts that are meant to work together they will center fine. For those lug style wheels you only need around 120 ft/lbs of torque. And while stopping power may be reduced, for many it will be very negligible, especially if the wheels you are getting are lighter than the very dense stock steel wheels. And with 8" wide wheels and reasonable tires you will not need to worry about your wheel bearings, their life won't be affected substantially.

Dually are the wheels are different and need extra care when mounting. They have a centering technique using conical nuts. Those are the wheels with larger 5/8 studs and flat washers that are spec's to 350 ft/lbs.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I agree with you completely. I thought the truck was a 3500. All good points you make. Owners need to be careful as some mods can be terrible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with you completely. I thought the truck was a 3500. All good points you make. Owners need to be careful as some mods can be terrible.
I missed that it was a 2500. Best results when correct braking and steering are obtained. Very easy to make things worse.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts