Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge 1993 W250 Cummins
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this barn find literally out of my neighbor's back yard. 1993 manual 5 speed NV4500.

I put 600 miles on it in the last month and it runs perfect. Steering pump and gear box are shot. Ordered a Red head gear box from Diesel Power. They only voffered the 3 steering wheel turn. Guessing this was stock for my truck, not the 4 turn? Will it work?

Next problem is wheels. I want to get rid of the 6" wheel with 235 85r16 tires, and go with a 16 x 8 inch wheel with 265 75r16 tires. Offset and backspacing has me and every tire guy around me confused. Who makes the correct wheel and correct backspacing? I just want a simple wheel for a 265 75r16 tire.

This is my first restoration project. Normally, I just buy new Silverados every 15 years until they rust out. I'm literally obsessed with this Dodge Cummins. Help is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should talk with the guys at Geno’s Garage regarding parts, and OEM equipment. Ask for Keith.

Also, Power Driven Diesel could help you with your truck. Todd & Will at PDD (shop owners) are 12v Cummins experts.

Lastly, you should check out TDR (Turbo Diesel Register). These guys can tell you everything about Dodge Cummins trucks from 1989 to 2021. It’s the best value to join for $35 per year; you won’t regret it. Take care, and enjoy the build.

·
Registered
Dodge 1993 W250 Cummins
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. Not a gear head, but like nice vintate things. Gun collecting, shooting, and hunting are my main passions. All of which went on the back burner after taking this Cummins home.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Nice truck!

265/75r16 fits the stock wheel great, that is the size in running. I just wouldn't run any wider. I think stock is 16x6.5"

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Dodge 1993 W250 Cummins
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

It's fun to tinker on, but the search for obsolete parts really adds to the challenge. Mine is the W250 that came with 1/2" studs and 16 x 6" wheels. I really need to dispose of those rusty wheels and get more modern tires.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your purchase! The 93' holds a special place in my heart for sure, they're certainly stout and just have unique greatness about them. Enjoy!

1993 manual 5 speed NV4500
Are you sure it's the 4500 and not a G360?

Guessing this was stock for my truck, not the 4 turn? Will it work?
It should be fine, but the only way to tell is see how many rotations the stock gear has. Your steering gear may actually be fine, the coupler and tie rod/idler ends are probably shot. Start saving for a Borgeson steering shaft and all new front end parts.

I just want a simple wheel for a 265 75r16 tire
Any normal 16x8 wheel will be just fine for that tire size, however a very common upgrade is the 3rd gen 17" wheel (Steel or aluminum). There's a set of factory takeoffs on every corner and usually very affordable. If buying brand new wheels, consider the costs of putting tires on that wheel size and the avaiblabilty of the type of tire you would like to run. I don't know why tire shops have so much trouble with helping people get wheels/sizing; I think lawyers and insurance comapnies ruined the last good auto services.

Reactions: bassetman1974

·
Registered
Dodge 1993 W250 Cummins
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. You have given me some very good info. I do have a NV4500 replaced by the first owner with all documentation along with a new clutch with under 2000 miles before he put it up on blocks in 2007. It hasn't been on the road since I bought it a month ago. Surprisingly, after nearly 700 miles, nothing leaks with the exception of the before replaced power steering pump and the soon to be replaced steering gear box. Yes, I did order the Borgeson steering shaft.

As for wheels, I've been to six wheel \ tire dealers and no one will sell me a rim because they don't know what to order. I am going from a 16" x 6" wheel with negative 6mm offset with 235 85r 16 tires to a 16" x 8" with 265 75r 16 tire. No one can figure out or find a wheel with correct backspacing so tires don't rub. Its been exhausting. I already have new 265 75 16 tires ready to be mounted.

What looks good to me is a Vision or Cragar soft 8 or D window wheel. Both have 0 offset. Will these work?

·
Super Moderator
23,200 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
If you have a stock wheel that it is roughly -6mm offset, then you have 2 3/4" of the wheel from hub to inside lip. On a 8" wide wheel with 0 offset the hub face is dead center of the wheel. So there will be 4" of the wheel inside the hub face.

That means about 1 1/4" difference in wheel hub offset, that's usually not a ton when it comes to changes. In fact, if going wider you usually want to try and split the difference some, because to much inside or outside the offset is what really causes rubbing.

I have 265/75r16 tires on the stock rims and have zero rubbing even with really tired front springs.

If you wanted the inside of the wheel to be the exact same hub offset you will want to look for a 16x8 with ~ -32mm offset. That will result in the exact same 2 3/4" from hub to inside of rim. But that pushes more of the rim and wheel to the outside of the hub, which might be worse depending on geometry.

If you keep back spacing the exact same between the two wheels you run a near zero chance of rubbing any of the inside of the wheel, but more to the outside. What I would do is measure how much space you have inside the wheel to suspension components at full turn both ways. Then try and eat some of the offset so you're not pushing too much wheel outside and promoting fender rubbing. You're likely going to end up with a 16x8 in the 10-20mm neg offset range.

Edit: got my neg/pos offset mixed up.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
265 is only a little more than an inch wider tire. Ford used 16x7 for their 265 applications.

You can run the stock wheels, blasted and powdercoated.

You can source rims from Ford pickups prior to 98, vans prior to 05 I think. Mill Supply used to sell new Ford steel wheels, not sure if still available.

If you gotta have aftermarket wheels, order 7 inch and match your current backspace, I have Ford 7 inch wheels and 265 on my plow truck, nowhere near rubbing.

·
Registered
Dodge 1993 W250 Cummins
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ruderunner. You really have me thinking 7 inch rim now. I do feel a little better armed now with information contacting my 7th wheel deaer.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ruderunner. You really have me thinking 7 inch rim now. I do feel a little better armed now with information contacting my 7th wheel deaer.
The Ford 7" wheels were a common mod. You can grab them from square body fords. OEM hubcaps and trim rings even snap right on.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I run the ford wheels on the back of my D250. 285/75R16s. The extra inch of wheel hangs to the outside, helping fill the wheel well.

You may want a different lugnut though, like a bulge style, because the ford wheel uses 9/16" studs and the holes actually pass a 5/8" stud.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

same tire/wheel on my w250:
Car Land vehicle Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
Dodge 1993 W250 Cummins
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's what I am thinking after input. Vision 16x7 wheel with zero offset with my 265 75r 16 tires. Does anyone think there will be rubbing when the wheels are turned? Was going to go 8" wheeel but wide until Rudderunner sugested 7" wheels. Suggestions welcome, need to get these rims ASAP

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Any offset -12 to +12 should work fine on those. You could go a bit more positive, but don’t use wheels off a 2nd gen +. They have offsets +35 and higher and the wheels will be too in-board

·
Registered
Dodge 1993 W250 Cummins
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow! A lot of choices. Can I just go with a Vision or Cragar 8" rim 0 ffset without worries? Height not a problem. Just worried about rubbing in the front Pittman arm.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Should be ok for steering clearance with a small tire like a 265. Seems like almost too much wheel for the tire though.

Reactions: daword2011

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Should be ok for steering clearance with a small tire like a 265. Seems like almost too much wheel for the tire though.
Almost, but a 265 on a 8” wheel looks awesome. I had 285’s on my 1992 and it fit just right, for what it’s worth.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

1 - 20 of 35 Posts