Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

first time diesel owner

684 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  HumminsCummins
just bought my first diesel truck.96 12v 307,000 miles,stock. can someone tell me if a banks power pack kit would be best for towing? thanks:confused013
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
As a newbie myself, I hesitate to give advice. but here goes: If your truck is an auto trans, do NOTHING until you have upgraded at least the TC and valve body. Banks seems to be known for very high quality stuff but very pricey. There are some very basic mods you can do to your 12v to achieve the same result for pennies on the dollar. There is a wealth of great info on this forum so I would suggest punching some key words into the search function and prepare to learn! HTH

· Registered
95 Posts
First of all, welcome to CF! There are alot of people here who know alot about your truck. Im pretty new here too and have learned lots. Banks is apparently expensive and usually inspires lots of comments. I have a 24 valve and have a big hoss box in it and it cost about 425 for an extra 70 hp + torque. I picked it because I can now pull my trailer up a hill and not get tired doing it, even just alot better for daily driving. Problem is Im getting hooked to puting wrenches on things, I now understant the fun of a turbo thats spooling and might be interested in a bit of smoke. My big hoss might be forsale in a few months or I might start a thread entitled "can you stack a banks big hoss" or something like that. What Im trying to say, is collect the information, put the goods in to fit your situation and as it changes HAVE FUN with it!

· Registered
15 Posts
yes it is auto trany.what is tc,and valve body.? thanks
Torque converter (fluid driven coupler that connects the engine power to the tranny). Valve body controls shift points and is the part that is modified when one puts a "shift kit" in. In stock form your tranny cannot take ANY more power than factory set levels (or so i've read)

· Registered
364 Posts
Yes looks like I get to say it first. Banks suck. I don't like there over priced product. You can do a lot of pump work for free. For a trany I would but a vb, a billet input shaft and a triple disk converter in it with so red alto clutchs. Then I would get me a 62/68/13ss turbo from ED. You will also need a intake and a exhast. This will be a really killer tow setup.

· Registered
147 Posts
well, like said previiously, banks is pretty much a rip off. There are so many modifications that you can to with your own hands, and a few commmon garage tools. But the first and most important things to get for your truck are a set of guages, pyro, trans temp (since it is and auto) and boost guage, this way you can keep tabs on how your truck is running which is very important when you get to modifying the truck!!!

second major thing is your tranny, like said before the valve body, converter are the big weak links, with these, you just need to get what fits best for your situation, cause there are so many choices....and as for the imput shaft, its a weak link when you get to adding some bigger power and tq., but since you would have the tranny apart anyways, might as well upgade while you have it apart.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everybody.i see i have my worked cut out ,but it should be fun,can wait to get started,sure i'll have plenty more questions later,but should be fun with all this cummins knowlegde, this site ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
147 Posts
yeah man, thats what were here for, if you have questions, dont be afraid to ask, and be sure to read up on the tech. stuff that is stickied at the top of this section about your pump and such, that way you know how stuff works!!!!

and btw...WECOME TO THE CUMMINSFORUM!!!

duke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.