Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, new guy to diesel here, bare with me...

I am currently deployed, left my truck in mid-October. I have a friend watching over my truck back home in Washington. It has been sitting outside, and hasn’t moved. Some personal stuff came up for him and he wasn’t able to be there to start it as often as I wish. He will end up starting it this weekend.

Any advice on how to start it properly, without hurting the engine? I ended up getting an oil change, fuel filter change right before I left, and left it on a full tank of fuel.

2001 Ram 2500 24V 47RE VP44
265K mi

Any advice is appreciated.

· Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,629 Posts
Well......since it has a diesel engine, leaving it filled with gasoline might be a problem.

Reactions: BrianF

· Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,629 Posts
Perhaps simply “bumping” the starter, without actually starting, to get the lift pump to run a little longer would certainly not hurt. A couple cycles of the above and simply let it run. I’m quite sure the 47RE does not circulate trans fluid in PARK, so I’d look into allowing it to idle in neutral if your parking brake is functional.

Reactions: Hcgnkhu
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.