Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks ,

4 months ago I parked my 2002 vp44 truck to do some work (trans swap, drop tank, paint frame etc, interior, etc). I'm finishing the project this week and am looking for some advice before I start it.

I'm going to dispose of the old fuel, oil change and prime fuel pump (bump starter).

Is there anything I'm missing before I fire it up? The engine ran great before I did anything.

Thanks!
Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Engine Car
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle Technology

(Trans swap - Spicer 7 speed medium duty)
I'll make a post about this soon.

· Unregistered
27,033 Posts
You should've changed the oil before you parked it, if it was due. Oh well, too late now.
Shouldn't be anything wrong with the fuel unless it was bad when you got it.

Reactions: N of 60
4,475 Posts
After 4 months, just like the 1st start on a new engine, I would want to prime the oil pump and build up oil pressure before firing the engine, but there is no easy way to do that on a Cummins.

What I do is disable the fuel system so the engine won't start. Make sure you have a real oil pressure gauge installed, crank the engine, 10-15 seconds at a time until you see oil pressure on the gauge.
This will also get oil into the turbo and to the valvetrain.
Re-enable the fuel system and fire the engine up.

· Registered
8,313 Posts
Yep that's what the Dealer does when a vehicle sits?
C'mon guys, this is only 4 months. Oil Change as mentioned before letting it sit would have been the priority for options especially if there was mileage on that oil. Draining the fuel, certainly not.

· Unregistered
27,033 Posts
C'mon guys, this is only 4 months.
Exactly. I have vehicles that can sit for much more than that, even gas powered ones.
The gassers get some StaBil, but other than that...nothing special done. If I know they'll sit over winter, they'll get an oil change right before being driven into the garage.
I do keep an eye on the batteries' state of charge on newer ones, though, as all the electronics take their toll.

· Registered
25,668 Posts
Oil is fine and so is fuel.
Save your money. Just prime it like you planned by cracking the inlet fitting at the VP44 and bump the starter. Close when squirting with no air. Bump one more time to help prime the VP. Then try starting it. If it don't start in less than 2 ten second cranks, then crack the 1, 3, and 4 injection lines at the head and do some 10 second cranks to bleed the injector lines and prime whole system. If you have not cranked it over with air in it it may just fire right up after bleeding up to the VP.
Before starting, make sure both batteries are fully charged(12.6+v) and holding that charge. Then clean all battery terminals and cable ends to metal to metal connection.
Is coolant clean and green?

Reactions: Eric1611

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oil is fine and so is fuel.
Save your money. Just prime it like you planned by cracking the inlet fitting at the VP44 and bump the starter. Close when squirting with no air. Bump one more time to help prime the VP. Then try starting it. If it don't start in less than 2 ten second cranks, then crack the 1, 3, and 4 injection lines at the head and do some 10 second cranks to bleed the injector lines and prime whole system. If you have not cranked it over with air in it it may just fire right up after bleeding up to the VP.
Before starting, make sure both batteries are fully charged(12.6+v) and holding that charge. Then clean all battery terminals and cable ends to metal to metal connection.
Is coolant clean and green?
Thanks for the tips, really helpful. When I drained the rad with the drain plug it came out green, but the turbo side rad pipe was all brown. I was planning on flushing the cooling system before reassembly.

· Registered
25,668 Posts
Yes put Presdtone Flush in it and warm it up and the leave sit or drive for a couple of days. Then drain and flush again with Vinegar for a couple of hours only, then flush again wiht a few tbl spoons of baking soda added to neutralize the vinegar. That will remove all the rust and gunk you can. Fill wiht 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water from the store. A dollar a gallon. Unless you have tap water with no mineral in it.

Reactions: Eric1611

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes put Presdtone Flush in it and warm it up and the leave sit or drive for a couple of days. Then drain and flush again with Vinegar for a couple of hours only, then flush again wiht a few tbl spoons of baking soda added to neutralize the vinegar. That will remove all the rust and gunk you can. Fill wiht 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water from the store. A dollar a gallon. Unless you have tap water with no mineral in it.
Awesome, thanks for the tips, much appreciated (y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.