Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. installed an easy drain valve where the oil plug goes and took a small sample of it a few weeks ago around the 5000 mile mark on the oil, and 90,000 mile mark on the truck.

it went all good, only thing that concerned me was that they said I had a tiny bit of fuel in the oil... something like under .5% or something like that... 2% is the limit.

could it be my injectors?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
good question...ill be sending out a sample in a few weeks and wouldnt mind a little heads up on safe limits and so on...

subscribed

·
Registered
267 Posts
hmm I'm hoping someone can answer this as well so i know some info when i send mine out... subd!

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you went with Blackstone, their test results come back with safe limits. Noob, your first test is only a base line. The next test and subsequent test is where you will see trends or progress. I'm currently upping our maintenance program at my work and we are using OAs to test our machine health. In regards to the .5%, you may be seeing an injector leaking as fuel in the oil is a pretty good sign but it's not serious enough right now to know (as from the report). If it is an injector failing, next time, you should see more fuel in the oil assuming the same miles between sampling. The amount of time you run the oil has to be consistent as the problem must be in the same conditions to show a real problem (ie. .5% at 5K miles for two or three samplings in a row means the problem is steady, but not worsening). This is where you really gain an insight into your motor. If it comes back .7% next time at 5K miles, it's obviously getting worse and is cause for concern.

Reactions: dieselnoob89

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I think oil sampling is a great tool and I'm glad for everyone doing it. Just shutting down and engine will introduce fuel into the combustion chamber that is not atomized or burned off.
2% is a good number to use and most engine manufactures who I've sampled with use 2%.
I would not worry about it but it is your first sample so you have not set a trend ans mentioned.
Only because it's your first sample (because .5% is fine) I would put the oil where you can monitor it's level accurately and watch it. Pay attention to the start and idle condition and tailpipe. If you cut your next sample in half it wouldn't hurt but it's NOT necessary.

I do my sampling on engine hours not miles but that because I've worked in engine hours all my life. I use 125 hrs for change and sample. That's 5000 miles at 40mph average.

NOT because of your fuel numbers but because it's in every manual ever printed regarding engines. Check your fluid levels daily or before every start. I have caught countless problems before they were big by doing this. It seems very very few people do this and the results can be expensive.

Reactions: klode and 777guy

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Hey guys. installed an easy drain valve where the oil plug goes and took a small sample of it a few weeks ago around the 5000 mile mark on the oil, and 90,000 mile mark on the truck.

it went all good, only thing that concerned me was that they said I had a tiny bit of fuel in the oil... something like under .5% or something like that... 2% is the limit.

could it be my injectors?
Was your engine hot or cold when you took the sample? Sometimes if you take a cold sample there is elevated fuel levels in the oil. Under .5% over 5k miles is nothing to worry about IMHO. How did the wear numbers look?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts