Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first oil change yesterday. 6830 miles but my 6 months was almost up. I'd read horror stories about cummins oil change prices so I was a little apprehensive. I called the dealer where I bought it and they quoted $200. Since I'm living up here working at the refinery and they're an hour away I called a local chrysler dealer. They said $77. I doubted it but made an appointment anyhow since it kept me from driving 60 miles to get my oil changed on a saturday.

They did it yesterday at 4 pm, the local wood river il dealer that is. And the final bill was $78. $20 for filter. 3 gallons of oil at $2.70 per quart, $32.40. Labor $20.45. Shop supplies $2.19. Sales Tax $2.73.

Notes on ticket say they performed lube, oil, and filter. Also 23 point inspection. It took them about 45 minutes.

Should I be worried something is missing or did I just get a good deal? I figured since they're a certified Ram dealer any errors would be on them.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's a good deal, regardless of oil used. Don't sweat the use of conventional oil. Guys use 15w40 year round up here and their trucks long rot away before the engine wears out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you also planning on sticking to the recommended 15,000 mile/6 month fuel filter changes?
I my self run until about 14,000 miles and then change the oil and both fuel filters. I usually hit 14,000 miles before the 6 month limit. I know a some folks are skeptical about the 15,000 mile intervals but my truck runs fine.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sounds about right. 3 gallons of Mobile Delvac runs me around $33 and a mopar oil filter around $12 = $45 plus labor but I do my own changes. If so did synthetic I believe I’d be around $80 with Rot T6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
That's a good deal, regardless of oil used. Don't sweat the use of conventional oil. Guys use 15w40 year round up here and their trucks long rot away before the engine wears out.
Everything you state is fair, but..........

The manual does mention using 5W40 when the anticipated temperature range will be at or below 0*F.

·
Registered
104 Posts
yeah but still - that isnt an OIL CHANGE....it was a oil top up! And a new truck should not have lost 3gals of oil???? Unless they eat oil and I am a newb that knows nothing :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you also planning on sticking to the recommended 15,000 mile/6 month fuel filter changes?
I my self run until about 14,000 miles and then change the oil and both fuel filters. I usually hit 14,000 miles before the 6 month limit. I know a some folks are skeptical about the 15,000 mile intervals but my truck runs fine.

I'll never reach the 15,000 miles before I reach the 6 months, and it's my understanding that I have to have the oil changed every 6 months or I void my warranty.

I'll do the fuel filters when the manual says I have to do them. I haven't seen anywhere that said I had to also do fuel filters every 6 months, it's possible I missed it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OP, your right on the filter intervals. I guess I thought that because of my high mileage within the 6 months for the oil changes. Thank you for catching my mistake.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am picking my new 2018 on Sunday. I can tell you with 100% certainty that I will use a “synthetic” oil in my truck from first oil change onward. Walmart price on inexpensive synthetic oil is $56 for a 2-1/2 gallon jug, or $5.60 a quart.
You’ll be absolutely fine with conventional oil of course, it just isn’t what I will be putting in my new $60K truck.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rotella-T6-5W-40-Full-Synthetic-Heavy-Duty-Engine-Oil-2-5-gal/681285089
Used them "without" problems once the warranty ran out....Still going strong when I sold it @ 452,XXX. They even stock the Mopar filter and I always had them put in a quart of Lucas. My Houston dealer has a 4 change deal (Rotella and a Mopar filter) for $275.00 and I believe it's nation wide accepted (I travel a lot).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got my first oil change yesterday. 6830 miles but my 6 months was almost up. I'd read horror stories about cummins oil change prices so I was a little apprehensive. I called the dealer where I bought it and they quoted $200. Since I'm living up here working at the refinery and they're an hour away I called a local chrysler dealer. They said $77. I doubted it but made an appointment anyhow since it kept me from driving 60 miles to get my oil changed on a saturday.

They did it yesterday at 4 pm, the local wood river il dealer that is. And the final bill was $78. $20 for filter. 3 gallons of oil at $2.70 per quart, $32.40. Labor $20.45. Shop supplies $2.19. Sales Tax $2.73.

Notes on ticket say they performed lube, oil, and filter. Also 23 point inspection. It took them about 45 minutes.

Should I be worried something is missing or did I just get a good deal? I figured since they're a certified Ram dealer any errors would be on them.

Thanks.
Didn't know Wood River had a dealer LOL....(I was born there 1960-1971)

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
The dealership service people are telling me that we should use conventional oil for 20,000 miles before switching to synthetic. I asked if they had a bulletin from FCA stating that and they said “no”. Somewhere I heard or read that FCA was shipping the trucks with synthetic.

I was planning on dumping the factory engine oil around 1500-3000 miles and starting on synthetic, but may rethink this a little. This is a recreational/personal vehicle for me, so I don’t need to be on any budget or anything.

I put 270K on my old 5.9L 12-valve and the new owner had over 500K last time I talked to him, all on conventional oil I’m sure. My current duramax has been on synthetic since break in, >300K. It’s still like new. I started using synthetic in backhoe and generator after about 6000 hours, they don’t get much use anymore, so I “feel” a little better knowing synthetic is sitting in the pan between operation.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Wow, that is phenomenally cheap. Granted I’m in Atlanta and the 3 closest dealers quoted me around $475 for oil and fuel filter change.

The only reason I called the first was because my wife is a teacher and they give free oil changes to teachers families. I had been getting my 1500 changed for free for 8 years there. They quickly informed me that diesels are exempt. So I asked price. I told the guy he was crazy when he quoted me $400+.

So I do it myself now. I run T6 Rotella, usually runs around $90 for 3gal at Walmart. I also bought a maintenance kit from Genos garage, also in Atlanta area, which comes with Fleetguard filters.

For the fuel I run a cat .4 micron filter inline with a Baldwin water separator. I only change the engine filter once a year. Usuallywith a nice wix filter.

I’ve thought about deleting the engine filter and also running a bypass oil filter to really extend maintenance intervals.

Remember oil (conventional, synthetic, or a blend) never breaks down, it just gets dirty and the better the filter the longer you can run it.

But damn $75 bucks, that’s a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,048 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a second gen fella, 01 HO, and know nothing about new diesels, but I swear by Valvoline oil, Donaldson filters, Opti-lube oil fortifier, and most importantly Blackstone Labs (blackstone-labs.com)for oil analysis. I run non-synthetic oil 9K- miles and send in a sample for analysis for $20 +/- and get a comprehensive report on the metals, fuel, antifreeze, etc. in the oil. I feel the info that Blackstone provides in invaluable as it can help predict what is wearing in your engine and help you catch failing parts before something becomes catastrophic. They have fantastic customer service and will answer all of your technical questions via email generally the next day. $7 oil filter, $10-$12 / gallon oil x 3, $12 Opti lube, $20 analysis = $75 is cheeep in my book.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a few comments on several items in this thread. I recently (May 2018) swapped out my 2016 2500 6.4L for a 2018 2500 6.7. At 11,000 miles and loving it!! Anyway, got 2 free oil changes from the dealer and had the first one at about 7800 miles. Oil, filter, joint lube and tire rotation. Quick background, I grew up in a Mopar dealership 50's, 60's and early 70's. Grease under my nails pre-puberty!!! Also police dept fleet manager, late 70's to mid 80's and service manager at Combo Chevrolet/Chrysler/Dodge dealer in my hometown. First comment is after my first oil change I quickly noticed the tech had set tire pressure to 40psi??? At 11,000 miles I checked the oil percentage life and it read 25%!! 25% in 4,000 miles?? Obviously the tech didn't reset it. That is unacceptable service and they were so informed. I've dealt with them for years but very little with their shop. They included a quote on their service ticket for full oil service and both fuel filters - $505.00, ouch. I'll be going to my little local privately owned shop that I've had do 98% of my work for 25+ years.
On another note I've had a lot of experience with Mobil 1 including when it first came out as a straight 20W to the present. Switched the entire police fleet over to it in late 70's and best thing we ever did. From that point forward during my time there we had zero engine problems or failures up to 110,000. Always been in my vehicles and is probably what I will end up using in the 6.7. Just wish there was a little cheaper but good alternative to the fuel filters. I'll have to get used to that! LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts