Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit 3500 miles on my 10' and an oil change message showed up. The manual says 7000. I dont drive hard at all. All my mileage is highway and I havent towed anything yet. Anyone have any info?

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I changed mine at 3500 miles because I got 6 free oil changes when I purchased my truck, BUT, I never got a message saying the oil needed changed. I've got a little over 5,000 miles on the truck and haven't had a message yet. Most of my driving is highway/interstate to and from work, with the occasional weekend drive through or around Asheville NC traffic, which really knocks down the mpg, but again, have yet to get a message about anything on the truck.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
not positive but I think you can change the intervals for when you want the reminder to pop up so it reminds you.
No you can't do this. I change oil every 3000 miles before deletes. After deletes i change oil every 6000 miles. Royal Purple 15-40. Oil change is cheap insurance GET IT DONE, easy to do yourself. The regen process dilutes oil with fuel way too much to be changing it at 7000 miles. Not to mention the EGR recurculating soot in to motor.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine came on at 3200 miles, I was going to change it at 5000. Whitenite any problems after the deletes?

·
Registered
786 Posts
According to an article in the Turboo Diesel Register the Oil Change Reminder will come on before 7500 miles if the sensor detects 2-4% of fuel in your oil...anything above 2% fuel dilution is considered excessive & will ruin your oil. Raw fuel is pumped into the exhaust stoke of the stock 6.7 engine to clean out the DPF filter, this in turn makes them very supseptable to excessive fuel dilution.

Here's some aditional info on fuel dilution;

Fuel Dilution

•Diesel fuel dilution in cold operating conditions can cause waxing. During startup, this can result in low oil pressure and starvation conditions.

•Diesel fuel carries unsaturated aromatic molecules into the motor oil which are pro-oxidants. This can result in a premature loss of base number (loss of corrosion protection) and oxidative thickening of the motor oil, causing deposits and mild starvation.

•Fuel dilution can drop the viscosity of a motor oil from say, a 15W40 to a 5W20. This collapses critical oil film thicknesses, resulting in premature combustion zone wear (piston, rings and liner) and crankcase bearing wear.

•Fuel dilution from defective injectors commonly causes wash-down of oil on cylinder liners which accelerates ring, piston and cylinder wear. It also causes high blow-by conditions and increased oil consumption (reverse blow-by).

•Severe fuel dilution dilutes the concentration of oil additives and hence, diluting their effectiveness.

•Fuel dilution by biodiesel may result in higher than normal problems compared to diesel refined by crude stock. These problems include oxidation stability, filter plugging issues, deposit formation and volatility resulting in crankcase accumulations. (This is probably why Chrysler does not recommend using bio-diesel above 5%).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Does anyone KNOW FOR A FACT who makes the Chrysler labled at the dealerships 15-40 diesel oil. I've "heard" its Valvoline premium blue. Been told it might be Penzoil ?? Does anyone have any Factual info.
Getting like 3,000miles per oil change 6,500 on clock now. Oil samples (2) both times ..no fuel in oil..but viscosity drop to 30W (both times the labs thought oil could be a break-in oil) silicon moderate/high. normal wear etc.

Hope this is not too far off subject.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
This has been an on going discussion since the 6.7L engine was introduced in Jan of 07, model year 7.5 on the Dodge Ram trucks.

This is from the Cummins home page on the Ram 6.7L engine and I quote.

"The maintenance interval has changed over the years on several items, however, the valve lash adjustment remains the same at 150,000 miles (240,000 km) and the fuel filter replacement remains at 15,000 miles (24,000 km). The oil change interval is 7,500 miles (12,000 km) and is duty cycle based. This interval will vary because the mileage will fluctuate based upon how the driver utilizes the vehicle. This engine uses an oil change monitoring system which will display a message on the vehicle information center that alerts the driver to change the oil.

Don't forget that your new Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel engine requires low-ash engine oil; failure to use this type of oil can result in serious damage to the exhaust aftertreatment system in your vehicle. Be sure to purchase engine oil that meets CES 20081 standards and has a maximum 1.00 mass % content of sulfated ash."

So any oil that meets the Cummins requirement is acceptable.

Here is the web link for their home page.
Cummins Every Time
Jim

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
The regen process dilutes oil with fuel way too much to be changing it at 7000 miles. Not to mention the EGR recurculating soot in to motor.

:agree2: whitenite JMO :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2010 3500 DRW did the same thing, it was right around 3000 miles or so. I have almost 11k miles on my truck and have had the oil changed twice already and it's telling me it's time again, so that will be 3 times within 11k miles.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Does anyone know if the ST's have the oil change indicator? I am almost to 4k on my '11 and haven 't seen anything, but been deleted since 46 miles.

·
Administrator
7,068 Posts
This has been an on going discussion since the 6.7L engine was introduced in Jan of 07, model year 7.5 on the Dodge Ram trucks.

This is from the Cummins home page on the Ram 6.7L engine and I quote.

"The maintenance interval has changed over the years on several items, however, the valve lash adjustment remains the same at 150,000 miles (240,000 km) and the fuel filter replacement remains at 15,000 miles (24,000 km). The oil change interval is 7,500 miles (12,000 km) and is duty cycle based. This interval will vary because the mileage will fluctuate based upon how the driver utilizes the vehicle. This engine uses an oil change monitoring system which will display a message on the vehicle information center that alerts the driver to change the oil.

Don't forget that your new Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel engine requires low-ash engine oil; failure to use this type of oil can result in serious damage to the exhaust aftertreatment system in your vehicle. Be sure to purchase engine oil that meets CES 20081 standards and has a maximum 1.00 mass % content of sulfated ash."

So any oil that meets the Cummins requirement is acceptable.

Here is the web link for their home page.
Cummins Every Time
Jim
Exactly!

Also available in your owners manual! Lots of interesting reading in there, covering everything from duty cycle based engine oil life, cycling grid heaters, diff oils....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does anyone know if the ST's have the oil change indicator? I am almost to 4k on my '11 and haven 't seen anything, but been deleted since 46 miles.
I have an ST and my light came on shortly after I changed my oil at 5k miles. I am almost at 10k and no light yet, changing every 5k.

Marc

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have an st and my light came on at 2500 then again at 7000. Didn't think much of it since the engine is still breaking in, would have don it near those intervals anyway.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
My plan was to wait until 6k to change mine. I have checked the oil quite a few times now and gave it a good smell each time. Everything is looking/smelling good so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts