Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased my first real truck. 99 2500. From what I can gather, the truck has a k&n intake with a big ol dry filter on it, turbo back, catless exhaust, edge comp tuner and an aftermarket lift pump. The truck has about 266k on it and from what I gather, the truck has been somewhat poorly maintained. I know the oil was just changed due to a receipt, but what are some things I should definitely make priority in looking into? I extended the crankcase vent tube, debating whether I'm going to put a collection bottle on or not. Suggestions? The front end definitely needs some love, theres about an inch of play each way in the steering wheel. Some specifics: what coolant is used on these? Power steering fluid? what viscousity oil is used in the diffs? Do you guys run a fuel cleaner on every tank? What specific oil brands do you suggest? Coolant looks nasty, any suggested brands, color? If there's something I'm missing, please throw it out there. Please no negativity, like I said, new to diesels.

·
Registered
22,326 Posts
Check all suspension and steering for play. pay particular attention to track bar both ends and steering box. But check everything. Use gear oil appropriate for weather, make sure it has already or you add friction modifier if you have limited slip in the back.
Fill out your signature with your truck and location information. ATF is ATF-4. Coolant is standard green antifreeze green but you can use others. If you loose any look at water pump or heater core first.
No collection bottle, just drop if down near below the differential. Check radiator backside by fan for gunk from the vent.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the radiator after seeing those nasty pics of oil covered fins. Looks clean to me. If I do a coolant flush via the radiator drain, should i replace the upper and lower hoses plus the thermostat, or just a flush? Also, the accessory belt isnt cracking yet, but im curious how long the tensioners go for on these things. I already changed the fuel filter, anything else fuel related that i should change or check?

·
Devil Dog Diesel
2,759 Posts
Congrats on moving over to the "Other Side!" And I think you'll find answers to many questions by reading the stickies and searching around w key words. Definitely lots to soak up here when it comes to these big bad engines!! ��

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im really impressed with these trucks. Something fierce.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts