Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I bought my truck 2 weeks ago and its my first diesel, I have a few questions about some noises im hearing.

Just so you know, theres an AFE cold air, and I have unplugged the egr.

-Sometimes at full throttle I can hear a high pitched scream, its louder than what the turbo would sound like.. Is this because of the Cold air? Or could I have a crack in my manifold?

- When I have the exhaust brake on and im starting to slow down, the truck will try to shift to a lower gear but as it shifts it makes a sound like a tire is rubbing up against a fender, if you can picture what im trying to say. Obviously the tire inst rubbing the fender but you can picture the sound im trying to describe here.

- Tonight when I fired the truck up, I waited for the glow plugs, but the light never came on, it had been a few hours since the truck had last been running so it was cold. Since the light never did come on I fired it up right away, the truck then idled funny like it had a lope to it, but it wasn't idling fast, normal idle but wonky.

I tried to describe everything as best as i could, and have probably managed to make myself look like a moron. Im a young kid who just sank alot of dough into this truck, and im worried about my investment.. but these things im hearing could be nothing.. I have warranty until 160k so id like to get any problems fixed before it runs up :thumbsup:

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
ok i bought my truck 2 weeks ago and its my first diesel, i have a few questions about some noises im hearing.

Just so you know, theres an afe cold air, and i have unplugged the egr.

-sometimes at full throttle i can hear a high pitched scream, its louder than what the turbo would sound like.. Is this because of the cold air? Or could i have a crack in my manifold?

1. Not sure of the scream, how many miles on the truck, could be a cracked egr cooler.

- when i have the exhaust brake on and im starting to slow down, the truck will try to shift to a lower gear but as it shifts it makes a sound like a tire is rubbing up against a fender, if you can picture what im trying to say. Obviously the tire inst rubbing the fender but you can picture the sound im trying to describe here.

2. Does it sound like a big rig when it slows, this is normal exhaust brake function

- tonight when i fired the truck up, i waited for the glow plugs, but the light never came on, it had been a few hours since the truck had last been running so it was cold. Since the light never did come on i fired it up right away, the truck then idled funny like it had a lope to it, but it wasn't idling fast, normal idle but wonky.

3. You dont have glow plugs, these trucks have grid heaters, they heat intake air temp, not the cylinder, it needs to warm under 50 degrees.
The unplugged egr is messing with the timing tables...wont hurt a thing.

I tried to describe everything as best as i could, and have probably managed to make myself look like a moron. Im a young kid who just sank alot of dough into this truck, and im worried about my investment.. But these things im hearing could be nothing.. I have warranty until 160k so id like to get any problems fixed before it runs up :thumbsup:

4. Turn the extended warranty in, use the money to do the egr/cooler delete and dpf delete. You wont need the warranty again. Do you research and dont be affraid to ask questions..... There will be a ton of a-holes tell youto use the search function and all that nonsense, but just read those who give solid feed back. Good luck with your new ride.

Thanks
chris
xxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
184 Posts
your truck has glowplugs? weird... :confused013:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your truck has glowplugs? weird... :confused013:
The squigely line that comes up on the dash isnt glow plugs? I thought all diesels had this? Im new to this, bare with me here:confused013:.

Bare with me here, this is my first diesel, i dont need the jokes and harassment, just some friendly help.

xxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
chris v.
did you read my answers, sorry i forgot to color them, they are numbered. and like i said, most will be smart a$$e$ and not helpful.

·
Salty Squid
769 Posts
Most of the noises you are hearing are normal. After you've had your truck for a while you're going to want to listen for "new" noises as those would be signs of problems.

If you have a CAI (Cold Air Intake) you will hear a muffled sound of a jet engine. That's just your turbo. (Another reason people like diesels :) )

The Cummins has a block with wires in it that heat up the air (Like an old space heater) to aide in starting the engine. In my 2010 sometimes the light comes on, sometimes it doesn't. The owner's manual said there's a certian temp where the grid heater will kick on.

I second getting your money back on the warranty.

If you are around 60k miles I would recommend you change your transmission fluid and filters if you have an automatic.

When you start the truck up in the morning, turn on the Exhaust break to help warm the truck up. You will hear a loud turbine sound. this is normal.

Also, the cause of the lope is because a diesel works off the compression for the ignition of the fuel. When it's extremely cold out, engine parts don't seal as well and the air being compressed in the cylinder looses a lot of heat to the cold cast iron block and doesn't ignite the fuel as well until it warms up a little bit. <--- This is just an extremely brief explaination of your lope, just meant to give you an idea of why it's happening.

We use spark plugs like gassers do to start the combustion process. <------ WHOOPS!!! forgot the word DON'T (Slapping forehead.) We DON'T use spark plugs, we use compression to ignite the fuel. NO Spark plugs in diesels...

Reactions: warlock06

·
Registered
129 Posts
You could run it by a local shop for them to listen to it, if ya got one you can trust,maybe not the dealer but a shop that works on cummins. Just an idea.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I THINK HE MENT TO SAY dont use ?

Reactions: ICSO9131

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chris v.
did you read my answers, sorry i forgot to color them, they are numbered. and like i said, most will be smart a$$e$ and not helpful.
Sorry I diddnt see that you responded underneath the questions in the quote, Thanks for your help buddy.

Reactions: warlock06

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most of the noises you are hearing are normal. After you've had your truck for a while you're going to want to listen for "new" noises as those would be signs of problems.

If you have a CAI (Cold Air Intake) you will hear a muffled sound of a jet engine. That's just your turbo. (Another reason people like diesels :) )
I know that obviously the turbo whistles, and with more air coming in then stock, the turbo is going to be louder with an intake, but This sounds louder then what the turbo gives off, and it seems to be louder when I have the eb on..

·
Registered
233 Posts
The bottom line is that all of the noises you are hearing are RELATIVE to what you are used to. Nobody can base anything soley on your perception of them with any amount of certainty.

1) Diesels make a lot more noises than gassers.

2) Post a video (w/audio) of these noises if you want a good answer from the folks here who know all the chit one can know about the 6.7L.

3) Hope you like your truck and this site helps you out.

Dave

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
chris, you may have some soot issues inside the turbo, take it out on hte road, eb on, and run it hard and let it decel with the eb, it should function harder and harder each time, this is cleaning the sliding vanes. see if the sound changes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If it sounds like a pig squeal then it could be that the intake wasn't put on tightly or in my case had a gasket bad on the turbo and the dealer took care of it right away. IMO you should drive with the EB on all the times. Helps break in the motor and on cold days heats up the truck a little faster and plus who doesn't like the sound a of a jet turbine under the hood haha. Hope this helps. This site has helped me out A LOT!!!! Just search search search and ull find something!

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
If it sounds like a pig squeal then it could be that the intake wasn't put on tightly or in my case had a gasket bad on the turbo and the dealer took care of it right away. IMO you should drive with the EB on all the times. Helps break in the motor and on cold days heats up the truck a little faster and plus who doesn't like the sound a of a jet turbine under the hood haha. Hope this helps. This site has helped me out A LOT!!!! Just search search search and ull find something!
There's even a small chance the info is correct.Very small

·
Salty Squid
769 Posts
For the record, I meant "Diesels DON'T use spark plugs."

I went and edited my post as well. Since you said you were new to diesels I was just giving you a little run down on them. I was just trying to help you out. :D and ended up pulling a bonehead move and forgot a very important "DON'T"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts