Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always been a Ford guy iv had them all until the new body style.
But I'm in the market for a new truck and I came across what I think is a good deal on a 2014 mega cab dually. A bit more truck then I need but it sure is nice!
I'm a mechanic at an independent shop and work on everything. I've worked on alot of powerstroke and duramax trucks but not alot of rams , but I also work on tractors and dump trucks so I know cummins have ssues too. Anyone made the switch and regretted it?
what kind of issues have you had with these trucks, I should potentially be looking for that I wouldn't think of?
How do the transmissions hold up ? Head gaskets issues? Or overall pretty stout truck any input it appreciated on

·
SuperModerator
10,412 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I enjoy the straight six engines more than the v8's. I had a '70's Ford Econoline with a 6/300 and stick. Nothing like these Cummins, but nice.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
The trans hold up just fine, so do the head gaskets. you can beat on a stock Cummins hard and it will keep asking for more.

its added HP and tunes that kills trans and blow HG's, like any other vehicle out there.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
What year truck and what transmission are you looking for? There are a lot of differences. Also, BAD tuning and a stupid driver can kill anything!
Bad Tuning is a major killer of HGs even if the driver thinks he is being conscientious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 2014 mega cab has 170k but extremely clean and appears to have been taken care of

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My 12 was the same way… Great shape and very well-maintained. I regularly tow heavy in the Colorado mountains with added power but I am very careful how I drive it and do a lot of manual shifting with the button to go as easy as possible on the upper gears. Now at 130,000 miles, I’m no more worried About the head gasket and transmission as I am being struck by lightning.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Yes sorry I wasn’t clear. It’s bad driving habits + added power that’s bad. I agree.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I saw a couple Cummins YouTube videos by Marion Blair on towing in 5th or 6th and using the shift selector. I'm slowly getting educated.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
yea using the gear selector makes a big difference. Keep them RPMs up in the 2k range when towing and always downshift before you hammer down to pull a grade. I usually lock it to 5th gear when im in any kind of hill terrain while towing. Reserving 6th gear only for flat long runs, like across east Texas :D

Keeps the engine happy, makes the trans last

1 - 11 of 11 Posts