Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my buddy and I just finished our first 50 gallon batch of B100 in his new Bio Pro 190. :woot: Machine came in on Tuesday night and we started a batch. It was so easy! Put oil in, add the meth and chemicals, push green button and come back 24 hours later and Drain the glycerin. Then you start the wash process and come back in another 24 hours. last night we ended up with nice, clean, golden brown B100. Filled my buddies 03 Duramax up and drove around. The butt dyno feels like there is no power loss :peelout and the smoke is all but gone. The exhaust smells like a fryer... It's awesome. I had 3/4 of a tank so I only put in enough to make my tank B25. I just ordered 2 extral fuel filters, but I've been running B20 and B10 Since August so I shouldn't have a problem.

I'm not sure how you apple seed processor guys are doing, but I love this Bio Pro 190.:hyper: Good thing my buddy had some extra cash just burning a hole in his pocket. :$:

·
Registered
764 Posts
How has gathering the waste oil from restaurants been? There was an article in the local paper a few weeks back that it was being stolen from the Oakland Coliseum. I guess there's a company that's contracted to take it to produce bio-but when they go get it, it's gone.

·
Registered
133 Posts

I agree. If you've got a few guys with some money to burn, the BioPro is the only way to go. Its pay back keeps getting shorter every week.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Yep, I'll have mine payed off at the end-ish of this summer. Its a small investment but having piece of mind, knowing each batch is going to turn out good(plus the fully automated part) is great.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
still waiting on my 150.........ships on july 3ed

·
Registered
133 Posts
still waiting on my 150
We thought about the 150 also. We found a 190 used so we went with that. The former owner upgraded to the 100 gallon unit.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How has gathering the waste oil from restaurants been? There was an article in the local paper a few weeks back that it was being stolen from the Oakland Coliseum. I guess there's a company that's contracted to take it to produce bio-but when they go get it, it's gone.
Getting oil around here hasn't been to bad. We've got three places that have agreeded to give us their oil. The rest of the places we go in and test their oil with the go/no go test kits and then talk to them about their oil.

Last night we finished our 2nd batch using oil form a mexican Restaurant. I left just before it was totally finished. My buddy left me a message that he doesn't think he got a good reaction and the bio is no good. I'll have to check tonight.

All I know is that we have gotten our cost down to $.78 and it cost me less than $10 to put a quarter tank in. :thumbsup

·
Registered
133 Posts
ast night we finished our 2nd batch using oil form a mexican Restaurant. I left just before it was totally finished. My buddy left me a message that he doesn't think he got a good reaction and the bio is no good. I'll have to check tonight.
Are you using settle barrel before you filter? Do you think you had water in your oil? I know we have to let our WVO sit outside in a steel 55 for a week or so before all the crap drops out. After that, it looks pretty good. We have also been using the biopro to dry the oil before running batches through it. We've had good results so far. But we try very hard to get the oil as dry as possible. Keep us informed on what you find out. I would like to avoid bad batches.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I agree. If you've got a few guys with some money to burn, the BioPro is the only way to go. Its pay back keeps getting shorter every week.
If you are just trying to burn money, why not stick with diesel? Holy crap - those biopro 190's are expensive! You may loose out on some of the automation using an appleseed setup, but you get to keep a heck of a lot of cash!

It is well worth a person's time to do a little homework on the web and use a few simple tools to build their own biodiesel setups. I saved about $8000 over the biopro setup (plus shipping!) and it's pretty easy to flick a few switches myself.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
you may also hav cleaner in the oil, I had it happen. Every time its froma mexican resturaunt. Not trying to imply anything, but it seems more common to throw cleaner then spray everything into the oil.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you using settle barrel before you filter? Do you think you had water in your oil? I know we have to let our WVO sit outside in a steel 55 for a week or so before all the crap drops out. After that, it looks pretty good. We have also been using the biopro to dry the oil before running batches through it. We've had good results so far. But we try very hard to get the oil as dry as possible. Keep us informed on what you find out. I would like to avoid bad batches.
Just talked to my buddy and the mexican Restaurant oil processed just fine. What he found was the glycerin layer was really runny and then after the wash cycle when the machine was purging the crap out it looked like a soft butter substance, but the oil layer looked awesome. I will keep everyone posted on whats going on. We just started a batch made from Sushi Restaurant oil. Smells kind of fishy. :lol3:

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you may also hav cleaner in the oil, I had it happen. Every time its froma mexican resturaunt. Not trying to imply anything, but it seems more common to throw cleaner then spray everything into the oil.
Thanks for the info. I would have never though of that. :thumbsup

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you are just trying to burn money, why not stick with diesel? Holy crap - those biopro 190's are expensive! You may loose out on some of the automation using an appleseed setup, but you get to keep a heck of a lot of cash!

It is well worth a person's time to do a little homework on the web and use a few simple tools to build their own biodiesel setups. I saved about $8000 over the biopro setup (plus shipping!) and it's pretty easy to flick a few switches myself.
Well I can't argue with you. It's expensive and you could go much cheaper. But it's a quality machine that allows a beginner to start processing quality bio from a wide range of titrating oils. We wanted to buy the best quality "automated" machine that we could afford. Our learning curve needed to be a short one. Even though it seems crazy to some (most) people, we couldn't be more pleased with the BioPro.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Batch #3 is complete. This batch is a little thicker than the other 2 batches. It's still clear, just a little thicker. AK_Cowboy you have any ideas? I'm now up to running B75 with no power loss.

On a side note, my buddy called me this morning and said that he had poor accelleration getting on the freeway going to work. Both of us said Fuel Filter. He has 85,000 miles on the truck running regular diesel so he's cleaning out his tank. I got two extra filters from Geno's Garage yesterday so I'm ready and waiting for mine to clog.

We also picked up 2 more restaurants that want to give their oil to us. I'm just waiting for the test kits to come in. The one vat has almost 400 gallons of oil in it. Hopefully it good oil! :woot:

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Batch #3 is complete. This batch is a little thicker than the other 2 batches. It's still clear, just a little thicker. AK_Cowboy you have any ideas? I'm now up to running B75 with no power loss.

On a side note, my buddy called me this morning and said that he had poor accelleration getting on the freeway going to work. Both of us said Fuel Filter. He has 85,000 miles on the truck running regular diesel so he's cleaning out his tank. I got two extra filters from Geno's Garage yesterday so I'm ready and waiting for mine to clog.

We also picked up 2 more restaurants that want to give their oil to us. I'm just waiting for the test kits to come in. The one vat has almost 400 gallons of oil in it. Hopefully it good oil! :woot:

Why not just do a tritration. THose test kits are a waste of money. You can really make your own for far less.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Glad to hear you are liking the new biodiesel equipment is going well. I am working on my own ghetto appleseed set up. :T:

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Friday was an awesome day. I signed up a golf course and banquet hall to take all of their oil! This stuff was the cleanest oil that I have seen since I started collecting oil. Very low titration also! Took 120 gallons from them and then went and grabbed 60 more gallons from my sushi place! Also signed up another restaurant close to the house that uses 100 gallons every week! My buddy has over 200 gallons of oil sitting in the garage now. Batch #4 should be finished up in the morning and then Batch #5 will be going in the machine! My truck is running so much smoother now! :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 29 Posts