Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

First Air Filter Replacement Today....

4829 24
I'm at 31,625 miles and 617 hours. When I had the intake apart on November 18th and 26,551 miles / 522 hours for an oil change, I knew the air filter was almost used up. I purchased a new air filter at Don Marshall (my selling dealer) on December 3rd on my way to St. Louis, MO and just now got around to installing it.

The surface of the pleats were a little dirty, but deep inside the pleats, it was still fairly clean.

Part number 53034051AB for those that are interested....I paid $27.95 + tax...surprisingly, $5 less than Geno's Garage but $2 more than the FleetGuard AF27684 equivalent at Geno's Garage.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Thanks for the info Greg. Love the way you document part numbers and other info. That's why your threads always get bumped back up. :thumbsup:

Reactions: gsbrockman

·
Registered
640 Posts
Did it actually trigger any warning when you changed it? If not, pretty darn impressive that the filter still flowed enough air not to trigger the dash warning. These Mopar/Fleetguard filters seem pretty impressive, just shocked at all the pleating and how much surface area these filters have.

·
Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did it actually trigger any warning when you changed it? If not, pretty darn impressive that the filter still flowed enough air not to trigger the dash warning. These Mopar/Fleetguard filters seem pretty impressive, just shocked at all the pleating and how much surface area these filters have.
No warning message given. Again, the leading edges of the pleats really makes the air filter look a lot worse than it actually was IMO.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Thanks for the info Greg. Love the way you document part numbers and other info. That's why your threads always get bumped back up. :thumbsup:
2nd that. As a newer member, I do enjoy following your threads. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
Were you seeing any reduction in fuel mileage? After looking at your fuel reporting in your other thread, I can't tell. Just curious. Also curious if you see a jump in mileage after install of the fresh filter.

Good post and pics! Change your diff fluids!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Red Rider
17,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Were you seeing any reduction in fuel mileage? After looking at your fuel reporting in your other thread, I can't tell. Just curious. Also curious if you see a jump in mileage after install of the fresh filter.

Good post and pics! Change your diff fluids!!
I cannot say for sure if there was any reduction in MPG's, due to the WIDE variety of things that I tow and the areas I'm towing in. I haven't driven the truck since December 3rd, but I do have another short run coming up around December 11th...if not sooner, so I'll probably know on that run IF the dirty filter was hurting it much. This run will be a Corvette on my car hauler....that combo has been good to me in the past as a Corvette doesn't catch much wind and they're not heavy. :party018:

I know....I know.....I need to change my differential fluids. :banghead: I'm a tryin'.....just be patient. There's about 0.25" of ice on here today.....with a forecast of rain/sleet/turning to snow mix later this evening. I guess I'll need to go to the brother-in-law's and change'em in his nice, wood-fired shop soon. :thumbsup:

Reactions: HorseMan-AR

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Looks like oh got your money's worth on that air filter. I change my air filter every 15 k when I change the fuel filter :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Why not go with a K&N filter? Clean and re oil it and put it back in? You got you moneys worth out of that filter to.
K&N oiled filters on Turbocharged engines stands for Kinda Nasty.
Do a search and have a good read. Unless I am runnin above 500 hp, the stock oem dry filter and housing is going to stay on my $ truck.

·
Registered
15,315 Posts
Why not go with a K&N filter? Clean and re oil it and put it back in? You got you moneys worth out of that filter to.
You must be new to diesels..... :rof:shock::S:

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
As stated, you must be new to diesels??...you want to throw a CEL? Want to "muck up" your mass air flow sensor? Then put an oily air filter on your diesel truck...Most that have done the research KNOW NOT TO use an air filter bathed in oil on these trucks...NOT a good idea at all....The OEM air filter puts a K&N filter to shame. No way would I put one on any truck I owned with a diesel engine in it...

Greg, great info buddy, alway's enjoy your post, "(now your prank phone call's can leave a little to be desired:rof:thumbsup:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
damn 30,000 miles I would of changed it sooner if warranty comes in to play you better make sure they don't see this lol

·
Red Rider
17,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
damn 30,000 miles I would of changed it sooner if warranty comes in to play you better make sure they don't see this lol
Again, the leading edges of the pleats really makes the air filter look a lot worse than it actually was IMO. Unless the leading edges of the pleats do all of the filtering, I have no worries. The areas between the pleats near the top of the filter were not stopped up with debris....I'm sure there were several CFM's of air sucked through it with a lot of towing I do.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't see how warranty could do anything with info stating that he changed an air filter that didn't set an warnings of any kind and still seemed to function properly.

Thank you to the op for such detailed info that is to simple to worry about until it's really handy to have when grabbing a new filter.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't see how warranty could do anything with info stating that he changed an air filter that didn't set an warnings of any kind and still seemed to function properly.

Thank you to the op for such detailed info that is to simple to worry about until it's really handy to have when grabbing a new filter.

well smart guy had a problem with this on my 11 cummins with warrenty dealer was claiming the filter should of been changed they were going by their "Dust-Out Diagnosis for Cummins" From their website "This bulletin involves proper inspection procedures to determine engine failure due to dust-out condition. Engines damaged due to the infiltration of dirt and/or debris through the air intake system are NOT WARRANTABLE."

·
Registered
323 Posts
K&N oiled filters on Turbocharged engines stands for Kinda Nasty.
Do a search and have a good read. Unless I am runnin above 500 hp, the stock oem dry filter and housing is going to stay on my $ truck.
I run a k&n panel filter in the stock box on my overly upgraded turbo'd Audi and have zero issues or problems. The key is to not over oil it and they come absoulty soaked from factory so clean it and re oil out of the package, I even had one in my last truck (although it wasn't a diesel) I used to check the MAF periodically and it was spotless, no oil.

·
Red Rider
17,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well smart guy had a problem with this on my 11 cummins with warrenty dealer was claiming the filter should of been changed they were going by their "Dust-Out Diagnosis for Cummins"
Out of curiosity...were you running the factory air filter & air box, or an aftermarket system???

It would appear to me that a dust-out condition would most likely come into play with an aftermarket filter or aftermarket intake system that was poorly designed and did not meet Cummins' specs on filtration....or if there was an issue with an intake clamp / fitment that permitted unfiltered air to get sucked into the engine between the air filter housing and turbo.

I'd imagine this stock air filter is similar to fuel filters.....once they begin to accumulate debris, less debris passes through them...

In any event....my intake ducting has been spotless every time it's been apart for oil changes...including this air filter change.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.