Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got the engine out of truck right now for ANOTHER head gasket #4!!!! im lookin into either firerings or o-rings and definatly head studs but not sure wat way i should, i drive it alot on the street but enjoy pullin at the local fairs and stuff. any info pros and cons of the two would be apreciated.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I would go with Orings just for the simple fact that if you are any were on the road and you blow the head gasket you can go to a local cummins dealer and get a new head gasket and be on the road again. No special head gasket required, as need when you fire ring it. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
while you have the head off i would just fire ring it, what if it happenns again? you will save your selfself aggrivation in the long run. I did it just to get it our of the way, while the head was off, in preperation for twins. The other tging to look at is they say the trings are for over 65 lbs of boost. I built mine for the future, just something to think about. The head gasket was 115, so not to bad.

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,372 Posts
I would go with Orings just for the simple fact that if you are any were on the road and you blow the head gasket you can go to a local cummins dealer and get a new head gasket and be on the road again. No special head gasket required, as need when you fire ring it. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:
What are you talking about?? Fire ring o-ring use the same gasket. The difference between the 2 is o-ring is groove in the head only and fire ring is groove in head and block. You still have to use a fire ring head gasket on both.

As for your question, I would say o-ringing your head and head studs will be just fine. BUT... seeing how you have blown 4 head gaskets my bet is you have something not right. For o-rings to work your head and block must be extremely flat and true. Make sure you take your head to a reputable place to have all your machine work done. Check the surface of your block with a straight edge front to back and side to side to make sure everything is flat. It has to be within .001 side to side and .002 front to back.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,372 Posts
I stand corrected. After a lot of discussion in chat I have fire rings which do require a modified head gasket. Please accept my apologies.

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,372 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, i dropped the head off at haisley machine yesterday, there going to fire the head only and completly go threw it, new valves, springs and everything. thanks 4 the help

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,372 Posts
Good deal! You will be happy with thier work!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea ive herd nothing but good about them..but damn its a long drive from my neck of the woods lol

·
Cummins CrAzY
1,372 Posts
I guess I just lucked out. I only live 15 min from them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
yea ive herd nothing but good about them..but damn its a long drive from my neck of the woods lol
Its well worth it,it'll be done,and done right.
Are you a contributor to the blown gaskets? What boost levels are you running? Studds?Are you letting the engine fully warm up before getting on it over 10psi boost?This is one of the biggest no no's,I see a lot of ppl hammering a cold diesel with boost levels higher than stock.:shock:
I blew 5,so i feel your pain,i blew all with o rings,at first,and then haisley fire rings after.
Did you check the head/block for flatness? Were either out.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im pushin just over 50psi on the stock hx35 its screamin for help lol this is my 5th one ive blown, and i NEVER drive it untill its at temperature. im sure the head is warped i havent had it machined untill now so hopfully with it fireringed and the HMR 12mm studs it will solve the problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Hx35 is part of your problem,is your wastegate working? With a boost orifice you should be seeing 32-38psi,I bet your wastegate is frozen shut.An HX35 at 50 psi is a time bomb,and killing your power,and the high drive pressure is helping to blow your headgaskets as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
thanks guys, i dropped the head off at haisley machine yesterday, there going to fire the head only and completly go threw it, new valves, springs and everything. thanks 4 the help
How much do you think that will cost? I'm fixin to have to pull mine off and im wantin to make some improvements as well.

K

·
0 Posts
Its well worth it,it'll be done,and done right.
Are you a contributor to the blown gaskets? What boost levels are you running? Studds?Are you letting the engine fully warm up before getting on it over 10psi boost?This is one of the biggest no no's,I see a lot of ppl hammering a cold diesel with boost levels higher than stock.:shock:
I blew 5,so i feel your pain,i blew all with o rings,at first,and then haisley fire rings after.
Did you check the head/block for flatness? Were either out.
wow did you ruinin the head when you blew the head gasket with orings id say you need to adjust your twins so you dont have extreme drive pressure buddy truck blew the gasket with orings and it took the head with it now when got the twins setup properly and got a drive pressure gauge in

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much do you think that will cost? I'm fixin to have to pull mine off and im wantin to make some improvements as well.
well they presure tested the head and it was about as good as a small boat anchor so i had to buy a new one.. im lookin at probley around $2000

·
Registered
80 Posts
oh that sucks:doh:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh that sucks:doh:
yea thats wat my wallet is sayin too..i guess if it blows again im just get the welder out and make sure the SOB never blows again!:headbang:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts