Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 06, and I just put in a firepunk street/track trans with the triple disk TC. When in tow haul mode it feels like my trans isn't unlocking while shifting from 3rd to 4th. Which results in a vary harsh shift. I have only driven in tow haul under light-med throttle (scared of braking output) my question is, is this normal with a triple disk TC?

I called firepunk but they are out of town for a race, thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Yeah.. If you are in tow/haul its going to lock the TC and not unlock it until you go back to second I believe. Might be some other conditions where it will unlock, but in standard 'smooth' driving that is how it will act. The hard shift is common and you have a billet input, so you should be good to go. You can always ease when you feel the shift coming. Just a tad though, too much and you will be off the pipe after it shifts. If will begin to feel normal after a few days. I felt the same way when I got my truck and experienced all that..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cool, I'm not to worried while driving empty. What does it feel like with a load? The way it feels empty I would think with 10,000lbs behind you the trans would explode shifting 3-4 locked under hard acceleration...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
It will just be a good firm shift. As long as you are not hammering the thing, you should be good towing. They take a lot butsome people use a TC lock switch for this exact reason.

Reactions: Birdman06

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Even your stock trans did this.
Its just you couldn't tell with the stock slush box.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The stock would do that, however, it should go on the record that a stock input with a HPVP and a triple disc TC will break in no time flat. It would only be a matter of time before a hairline crack forms then on the next hard lock/shift, it would send the shaft into oblivion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It will just be a good firm shift. As long as you are not hammering the thing, you should be good towing. They take a lot butsome people use a TC lock switch for this exact reason.
Is there a way to wire in a TC switch that will not allow lock up/unlock, but when off allow the TC to be controlled by the truck? Like a TC lockout switch?

Sorry if it's a dumb question....

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Mystery switch. Been done many MANY times. It will manually lockup when the switch is activated but will lock by itself when it is off. There are some people that have done really cool things with them. You can also add third and fourth gear lockup switch in the same manner! Allowing for full control of the tranny with about $40 in switches, resistors and wiring. Just use the search tool and the FAQ section for tutorials and part numbers. Gotta love the 48RE!!

·
Banned
44 Posts
I wouldnt feel to scared. I just got a 47re towmaster. stock input shaft, intermediate shaft, and output shaft. they said it would handle it. so I trust them. but I dont think I can do locked shifts lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 48re fire punk street and track trans. i had bought it a year or so agow but don't really drive it much except for towing.im having a problem with it shifting from 3rd gear lock up right to 4th gear lock up then it quickly unlocks and runs out correctly then locks up 4th like it should . But it will only do this after he gets up to running temperature .does anybody have any idea?its not going fast enough for 4th gear lock up.I flush the tranny that didn't help at all.2006 cummins 2500 .

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have the 48re fire punk street and track trans. i had bought it a year or so agow but don't really drive it much except for towing.im having a problem with it shifting from 3rd gear lock up right to 4th gear lock up then it quickly unlocks and runs out correctly then locks up 4th like it should . But it will only do this after he gets up to running temperature .does anybody have any idea?its not going fast enough for 4th gear lock up.I flush the tranny that didn't help at all.2006 cummins 2500 .
What do you have for programming? Box tunes from Smarty? Please can you fill out you signature?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have an evolution CTS . And it does it on all program settings including stock programming.the truck will do it in tow hawl setting and with tow hawl off ,will not do it with OD off cause it don't shift into 4th on that setting.????? I don't want to wreck this trans any help would be appreciated greatly.
Have you tried calling Firepunk? I'm sure they will help you out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts