Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally picked up my engine from the machine shop, took 3 months. .020 over, balance, deck, coat pistons, assemble.
At some point I misplaced my engine hoist, aka loaned it and lost it, :unsure:. I borrowed one from a buddy to pull it, but he needed it back for his car, so I picked up a new NAPA one. Then this happened.... pictures!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
816 Posts
so is napa going to buy you a new block?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It went down pretty quickly. No visible damage. Sent these to the machinist and he said I should be fine. I’m going to unwrap the test of the engine later today and do a more through inspection. I’m pretty sure a corner of the oil pan tail hit first and took most of the force

·
Registered
56 Posts
What a POS hoist. I have never seen a portable engine hoist without bracing from the back of the frame where the rear wheels are to the boom support tube. That thing is either missing parts or a very poor design. From the pics. The way it is made. It could never support its supposed weight rating. I doubt if it could even lift an engine out of a Cvic without bending in half. I cant believe NAPA would sell junk like that. I have a Northern Tool, folding engine hoist I have used to pull many, many engines. . Made in China no less. It is way stouter than that tinny looking thing. Most likely cost less than NAPA too.

Reactions: J.R.R.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have never seen a hoist with a 3/8 ton setting. That’s 700lbs, under what I was picking up, I still went with the 3/4 ton mark, 1500lbs. Still broke. :mad:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow. That sucks man.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thank your lucky stars it wasn't a Duramax. Probably would have snapped the crank in 3 or 4 places. :)

Reactions: Jacks and Hut

·
Premium Member
580 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have too much money if your misplacing engines lifts anyway lol
too much in this dang truck! Lol

I had an ancient hoist, 20 years? Old, and couldn’t find it for a long time. I have now found it in a storage building at work. Go figure. Hahaha.

now to get it home and the engine in the truck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
**** happens sometimes. Engine seems fine from the pics. 😎
Looks like you'll be moving forward with the project.

·
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
1,349 Posts
Finally picked up my engine from the machine shop, took 3 months. .020 over, balance, deck, coat pistons, assemble.
At some point I misplaced my engine hoist, aka loaned it and lost it, :unsure:. I borrowed one from a buddy to pull it, but he needed it back for his car, so I picked up a new NAPA one. Then this happened.... pictures!
No way would those 2 bolts ever hold that engine. There is metal brackets missing. Goes from upright to back caster legs. So the only force on those bolts and flange would be downward. Parts are missing or not installed. They are flat, prob 3/16" thick and maybe a few feet long.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Get that driveway GRIT off of those engine parts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ouch!

I have a old hoist I picked up from a local city/gov auction. Thing is a beast, has greasable metal castors, massive wall thickness of all parts, all legs can extend out 12"-24" or more and it for sure tests the strength of anything you forgot to unhook.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts