Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Rear clutch drum.

Set the rear drum up on the input shaft. I was a little slow to realize something to support this would be handy. Later you will see I supported this kind of thing on a large wire spool. Remove the snap ring.

Remove the selective steel.

Remove the clutches and steels like was done in the front drum.
Remove the pressure plate.

Remove the wave snap ring.

The drum will probably fall down like mine.

Remove the cushion ring.

Remove this plate, I cant remember what its called.

Remove the piston.

Flip the shaft over and remove the three shaft seals on the input shaft.

CLEAN EVERYTHING
the top snap ring is the selective adjustment for clearance on this pack

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Intermediate shaft and planetaries:
Since I have a 48RE, I have 6 pinion planets. If I had a 47RE I would have had 4 or 5 pinion planets. Note that the thrust washers fit in little holes in the planets, and since I have a 47RE rebuild kit, none of the thrust washers would fit. I mic'd my thrust washers and found little to no wear, so I reused mine.

Remove the snap ring from the input side of the intermediate shaft.

Remove the front planetary set.

Remove the thrust washer between the front planetary and the shell.

Flip the assembly over, onto the shell. Lift the intermediate shaft out of the shell/sun gear.

Lift the ring gear from the rear planetary.

Remove the thrust washer from the rear planetary.

Remove the rear planetary from the sun gear/shell

Remove the thrust washer from the shell. Note that there is a spacer under the thrust washer, retained by a circlip. I did not remove these components, as my sun gear was in good condition.

Disassemble front planetary. Notice the plastic spacer.

CLEAN ALL COMPONENTS.

Lubricate the thrust washer and place it on the front end of the rear planetary set.

Place the rear planetary over the sun gear as shown.

Lubricate and install the other thrust washer on the rear planetary.

Install the rear planetary ring gear.

Lubricate the bushings inside of the sungear and insert the intermediate shaft.

Lubricate and install the thrust washer between the shell and front planetary.

Lubricate and install the thrust washer on the back side of the front planetary.

Lubricate and install the plastic spacer ring over the front planetary snout.

Install the ring gear over the front planetary.

Install the front planetary over the intermediate shaft.

Install the snap ring to retain the front planetary.

Intermediate shaft assembly is complete.
this was 48RE gear train and your rear clutch had 48RE fibers in it

·
Registered
171 Posts
Boosted one and Baxy
Thank you both for the EXCELLENT info

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Awesome thread! I feel way more confident about possibly doing mine myself with info and pics like this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You're welcome everyone.. Did it hoping it would do just that, boost someones confidence.
I have about 800 in the rebuild, including the tranny fluid and break cleaner which was 120 bucks itself. Note that from previous work, it already had a shift kit in the valve body, a GM gov press solenoid upgrade, and I reused my converter which is a single disk billet. I would have liked to do a new converter, but it just wasnt in the funding.

Baxy is right on the 48RE internals. I actually think its a 48RE trans with a 47RE valve body in it.. My OD unit was also full of single sided, 48RE OD Direct frictions.

And yeah, stock shafts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm looking at building my trans sometime this summer hopefully,( depending on funds available lol), but this is by far one of, if not the best write ups I've seen on this forum.

My dad owned a transmission shop for 20 years ( sold in 2009) and is now a diesel mechanic for a drilling company, so I grew up in a mechanics world. Fortuantely for me, this will help me out a TON on savin some cash too. I've never done a rebuild totally on my own, but helped him tear down and rebuild several transmissions over the years. For someone who's never been through an AT before, you did a heck of a job man! Takes a lot of guts and mechanical ability to just jump in to a job like this. Nice work,and thanks again the awesome write up! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks! Rebuilding the overdrive unit last year is was gave me the balls to do it. Having the shop manual is still a must! Couldn't have done it without it

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
953 Posts
Awesome write up! Just used this and the blessed ATSG book to go through my trans. The only issue I had found was the intermediate shaft and OD piston retainer became welded together. Ordered a new intermediate, piston retainer and reverse drum to be safe. Thank you for taking the time to do this. :thumbsup:

If anyone decides to do this and has issues with getting the intermidiate out PM me for my cell number and I'll walk you through it as Bill from DTT did for me. BTW Bill rocks! Nice guy and walked me through the issue while working on the CNC machine. Lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Awesome write up! Just used this and the blessed ATSG book to go through my trans.
Thanks, and the ATSG book is good.. I found the shop manual better, but the ATSG had some information that was lacking in the shop manual.

The only issue I had found was the intermediate shaft and OD piston retainer became welded together.
:shock: LOL.. WTF!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks, and the ATSG book is good.. I found the shop manual better, but the ATSG had some information that was lacking in the shop manual.

:shock: LOL.. WTF!

I hope this doesnt come out sounding dumb, but what is the ATSG book? Where is the best place to get one, and a shop manual? My transmission took the big dump the other day too. :doh:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I hope this doesnt come out sounding dumb, but what is the ATSG book? Where is the best place to get one, and a shop manual? My transmission took the big dump the other day too. :doh:
automatic transmission service guide (or group)... they make lots of manuals with specs on stacking out transmissions.

·
Registered
207 Posts
automatic transmission service guide (or group)... they make lots of manuals with specs on stacking out transmissions.
Thank you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey Boosted...very nice job...and I say that from the perspective of just having done the same to my transmission after my torque converter crapped the bed. I had to pull everything apart as far as you did to make sure all was well with the internals and there wasn't any tc debris floating around.

Like most things, pulling the transmission apart is a piece of cake...remembering how to put it back together is the trick...and your writeup and pics helped a lot in confirming I was doing it right.

The clutches were in perfect shape and there was no hint of overheating. There was some very slight wear in the intermediate band so I'm going to replace that one, (perhaps with a stock 48re unit), and I'll install the soft seals that came wth my transgo kit.

There was some crap in the valve body so that had to be taken apart and stripped...unfortunately, I didnt take pics of the teardown and my careful organizing of the springs went to hell when the container everything was in was knocked over....by me of course.

Transgo is going to send me the instructions on where their springs go so with that info, I should be alright.

Hint for those doing this; take pics...or better yet, just do a video. Keep the camera running and if you wish to share, you can edit it later but most importantly, you'll know how the damned thing fits back together.

Again, nicely done. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
This should BE STUCK !!!!!! I have done 3 727's TF's. With a book and very mechanically inclined......This is a very good process and writeup. Thats what takes a lot of time..Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Freakin fantastic!!!!

The best post I have ever seen!!!!!:blues:
That was an awesome post!!:thumbsup:
I could now do a tranny rebuild!!!!:drool2:
THANK YOU!!!!!!:worthy:

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
The best post I have ever seen!!!!!:blues:
That was an awesome post!!:thumbsup:
I could now do a tranny rebuild!!!!:drool2:
THANK YOU!!!!!!:worthy:
Its really NOT that difficult. Lay it out as you remove the parts. Just gotta have a large table or bench.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spring Location

I am going to try to bring this thread back to life. I tried to help a buddy do what we thought was a simple fix today. His truck is having trouble shifting into 4th, and overdrive. Quick searching pointed to a couple solenoids. That is what I tried to help with.

We dropped the pan and planned a quick swap of them. Once the pan was on the ground we found a spring about the diameter of a pencil, a little over an inch long, and when compressed it was just about a half inch.

Neither of us are transmission savvy. We searched for YouTube vidoes, photos, anything we could to possibly find where it belongs. We could only come up with one location that looked right. I couldn't find a photo to give a clear picture of the location, until now. We slid it over the piston type device.

Can anyone tell me what that thing does? Or where a spring about that size might go?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Subscribing although this is an old thread. Awesome job!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Excellent thread....I used this as the primary instructions to rebuild my transmission...and a couple of years later, it's still going strong.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.