Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Finally got this done....

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  jmercer 
#1 · (Edited)
Spent part of Sunday putting in the Vulcan 2 mic fuel filter and the Smeding intake horn.
Both these companies were very easy to work with.

The Smeding horn went right in. Lined up with the intercooler hose and the oil dip stick very well.

The Vulcan kit went in easily. I wound up spinning the filter base 180 degress so that the input side is to the front of the rig and out flow is to the rear. That allowed very easy bends on both hoses, particularly the exist hose to the high pressure pump. Should be very easy to work around to replace the filter.

No problems with either kit other than needing another set of hands installing the two fittings on the bottom of the OEM fuel canister.

I'm not much of a wrench guy but enjoyed getting this done.

See less See more
#2 ·
Could you tell a big difference with that intake elbow? I'm thinking about getting an AFE one for mine but dont know if theyre really worth the $$.

#3 · (Edited)
All they are for is mainly looks. They have plenty of trucks pushing north of 700 hp with the stock horn. I'm not denying some performance gain but I think it would be a very small gain. That being said, I have one on my truck and it does look better than stock.
And to the op, looks good man, I wish I would've learned about Banks before I dropped the $$$ on mine. Overpriced compared to others.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
Yes basically for looks. But thats a legitimate reason to make changes too.

I was getting nervous about filtration with all the talk about injectors around here. Maybe the upgraded filter installed in line after the stock cannister will save my injectors from puking.....

Took the truck out last night and it runs real nice.

#8 ·
Yes. 5 mic on the Baldwin in the OEM cannister and this 3 mic.

this is nothing new...lots of people have done it ...i'm just late doing it.

#10 ·
Very easy. Kit is complete as far as parts go. Hardest part was making sure both fitting on the bottom of the OEM cannister were tight. Given the logistics involved I needed two sets of hands for that part. But other that it was a very straight forward.

#12 ·
GDP also sells a kit but it is a 2 mic filter. about 200 $$

#14 ·
Looks great. I will be getting one of these filter setups soon. Did you go with the 3/8 or 1/2 kit? Not sure what size the stock lines are.

#15 ·
I went big, 1/2". Wanted to make the new filter and lines as invisible as possible to the stock transfer pump. The stock lines are much smaller maybe 1/4" ?

Reactions: jmercer
#16 ·
Yeah that makes sense to me. I'll go with the 1/2" as well. Thanks for the post! I didn't realize the filter setups were this cheap. Good insurance against injector problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.