Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying to fix my steering for a few years, I finally got it fixed.

Started off replacing worn out parts like the ball joints, control arm bushings and trac bar bushings. Didn't fix the issue. Next I replaced the steering shaft and upgraded my steering the to T style steering. Still no fix. Replaced the steering box with a redhead and it felt like i had different issues. Sent it back and got another. Then I had memory steer. I bought the Mopar steering box upgrade kit and all the problems went away.

So the moral of the story, stay away redheads.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Was the box you had the new “6 bolt”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was the box you had the new “6 bolt”?

On the head I guess you could call it, the part where you can adjust the box?

·
1,026 Posts
Redhead is well marketed junk. I upgraded to the new Mopar 6bolt and mine steers really well. Better than my 2014 did new.
Another issue people have is not having the proper pitman arm with the T style linkage.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
On the head I guess you could call it, the part where you can adjust the box?
Yeah. Redhead offered a couple boxes. Supposedly the “new extreme duty 6 bolt” is their reman version of Dodges updated box. It looks to me like Dodge has updated their “updated” box too. I’m going to have to do mine in time. I expect I’ll just go to Dodge. It’d be nice to just stick a whole 2013 front end under these older trucks.

Reactions: krs

·
1,026 Posts
Yeah. Redhead offered a couple boxes. Supposedly the “new extreme duty 6 bolt” is their reman version of Dodges updated box. It looks to me like Dodge has updated their “updated” box too. I’m going to have to do mine in time. I expect I’ll just go to Dodge. It’d be nice to just stick a whole 2013 front end under these older trucks.

I have often pondered the idea of a 13+ axle in my 07 to get the larger wheel bearings, the better steering linkage geometry as well as the central axle disconnect. I'm sure it could be done very easily as I'm pretty sure the track bar mount on the axle would be in the same spot. As well as the pitman arm tie rod centre point in relation to the frame end of the track bar to get optimal geometry. Then the only other concern is the upper shock mount bracket which would be some pretty easy fabrication. Or purchase brackets from some vendor. Oh yeah and a bracket for the radius arm.

Reactions: fatgraderman

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have often pondered the idea of a 13+ axle in my 07 to get the larger wheel bearings, the better steering linkage geometry as well as the central axle disconnect. I'm sure it could be done very easily as I'm pretty sure the track bar mount on the axle would be in the same spot. As well as the pitman arm tie rod centre point in relation to the frame end of the track bar to get optimal geometry. Then the only other concern is the upper shock mount bracket which would be some pretty easy fabrication. Or purchase brackets from some vendor. Oh yeah and a bracket for the radius arm.
And the C’s are about 1 1/2” further apart I think. I’ve been watching to see if a wrecked donor truck might come up.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

My new box is a 6 bolt. The 2 redheads i had before were 4 bolt.

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Yeah. Redhead offered a couple boxes. Supposedly the “new extreme duty 6 bolt” is their reman version of Dodges updated box. It looks to me like Dodge has updated their “updated” box too. I’m going to have to do mine in time. I expect I’ll just go to Dodge. It’d be nice to just stick a whole 2013 front end under these oljcoffroad or Diesel Power Products sell the Mopar kit

A number of vendors on this site sell the Mopar 6-bolt kit for less than the dealer.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
My new box is a 6 bolt. The 2 redheads i had before were 4 bolt.
My understanding is pretty much all the dodge 4 bolt boxes are worn pretty bad and that's more the issue than redhead. Honestly at this point what I see them failing at is even selling them without a disclaimer.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I thought the first Redhead boxes were actually a 1/2 ton GM box?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Would be news to me, the part stores give out Ford boxes with adapters usually.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Grunt .
Glad you got it sorted out .

Did you upgrade the PS pump or anything else ??

Reactions: GRUNT 11B

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grunt .
Glad you got it sorted out .

Did you upgrade the PS pump or anything else ??
Nope. All the parts that I changed are the ones listed in the first post.

·
Registered
2005 ram 3500
94 Posts
I recently put in a red head 6 bolt. Also have done the rag joint fix, clear hose mod,( emf bushings will happen one of these days) and replaced the lower shaft.

Truck drives really nice. Had a Slight memory steer, but upping the caster to the upper to the upper of recommended range fixed that one. Only issue left is the steering is a little heavy as it probably needs the upgrade pump also. Moat upgrade Pumps are on back order until next year. I found a used one, but I don’t know, I may just wait. I’m having a hard time getting excited about a used power steering pump.

Aside from the steering wheel weight, the truck has never drove this nice ever. She’s been mine since 1.something miles....

I probably need to do a t steering upgrade, but I’ll wait until I wear out the rebuilt front end first.

PS, don’t bother with the borgeson steering shaft. Several issues with that thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts