Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I got my EGT probe in finally, straight piped the exhaust and did the tone ring mod.

This was the second time that I have done an EGT probe first time was on a 2nd gen and let me tell you it was a hell of a lot easier to unbolt the turbo but was a major pain after that trying to get it out so I said forget it and got it to drop down about 1-2 inches stuffed rags in it and paper inbetween the tubo and exhaust manifold. After I drilled the pilot hole I started to think maybe this wasn't the best choice seeing all the shavings flying all over the place. So Ray (dieselrider23) held the vacuum hose up to the drill bit while I drilled away one after another till I got the hole done. I was still very nervous about it. Then after it was all said and done I was a feeling better about it.
Now the tone ring/timing ring mod I thought was gonna be a breeze from what everyone was saying, well it wasn't quite that easy. First off there is NO room to manuver up there, that idler pully has some to it and its hard to get the wrench on it. I think I fought the belt the most trying to get that off with the mm of room you have to work with. I tried the 3lb hammer and breaker bar which sounded easy but with the small amount of room there is a few hits did not make it happen, it took more like 20 and doing that with 4 bolts lying on the ground my arm was done for. Though after it was unbolted the belt was out of the way the dampner just fell out and timing ring came right out. I filed the dowl pin hole one the one side and put it back in which was a chore in itself trying to line it up then line up the dampner. Bolted it back up then fought the belt again for 20 min trying to get it lined up. So much for 20 min job more like an hour and did I mention there is NO room in there to do anything.
Then we did the exhaust, easy for the most part had to fight the sawzaw around a bit but it happened and I only got a few metal shavings in my eye and a cat converted fell on my ribs and a muffler hit me in the head. Used stainless steel exhaust band clamps and we were done.
All and all pretty eventfull day, the truck sounds great and with the ring mod I have a little smoke and it seems to get up on step alot sooner. I am happy and hope I get some better gas milage out of all of this.:peelout

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
let me tell you it was a hell of a lot easier to unbolt the turbo but was a major pain after that trying to get it out so I said forget it and got it to drop down about 1-2 inches stuffed rags in it and paper inbetween the tubo and exhaust manifold.
Exactly what i did! No way I was going to drop shavings through the turbo :w:

What are you seeing for peak EGTs with the tone ring mod?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't really had the chance to drive it much since I have finished yet but I will let you know later tonight.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It was all a pain in the :butt: but was well worth it. And WOW does it sound really good. And everybody........dont go spending the money on one of those muffler deletes. It was just to easy with a piece of straight. Once I about broke my wrist with the sawzaw because the blade was to short, and hacking away with the hack saw. It was all worth it though. Nothing like spending time in the shop working on the Trucks. :thumbsup.

oh and did I mention that it sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:beer

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok just got back from a trip around town well egts are at 700 @ <2000rpms/71mph and wide open holds steady at 1200. Now for the good news and what I was looking for someone will probably throw the BS flag on this but I swear this is the 100% god honest truth.
Before the timing mod my overhead would read between 12-14.8 mpg and hand calc. on last tank was 14.9 my best yet and when I arrived at the shop the overhead was reading 14.5.
After todays mods overhead is reading 18.1 also I just filled up yesterday and usually my fuel needle will start moving around 50 miles and after my excursion today sitting at 72 miles and needle has not yet moved!!!:hyper:
So far this is the best thing I could have done to this truck feels peppier and looks to be getting 4mpg better!!!:woot: and it was free!!:peelout

·
Registered
283 Posts
What is the timing ring mod???

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good explanation here..

http://www..com/cummins-corner/6062-tone-ring-mod-2003-up.html

I think I am going to do this tomorrow.. Only question, how will this affect the timing on the smarty revo... whenever I get it. Will I just need to put the timing one setting below what I actually want it at? I guess It would be more helpful to know what timing the revo has it at at each setting, and knowing the safe limits to run the timing at. Im not really familiar enough with the limits of diesels yet, but I am pretty certain it won't work well at the timing I run my race car at... about 36 degrees BTDC... lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
Help it didn't work

·
Registered
344 Posts
Good explanation here..

I think I am going to do this tomorrow.. Only question, how will this affect the timing on the smarty revo... whenever I get it. Will I just need to put the timing one setting below what I actually want it at? I guess It would be more helpful to know what timing the revo has it at at each setting, and knowing the safe limits to run the timing at. Im not really familiar enough with the limits of diesels yet, but I am pretty certain it won't work well at the timing I run my race car at... about 36 degrees BTDC... lol
If you have the smarty revo....I wouldnt bother with the hassle of the tone ring mod....you have 4 levels of timing already.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Right on, I just try and soak up as much info on diesels that I can.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good explanation here..

If you do it now it will help out till you get the smarty. Then when you get the smarty just put it back to stock which won't be hard at all just loosen the bolts and roll over counterclock wise to back to stock. You won't have to go through the hassle of taking the dampner off again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts