Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing the EGR delete this weekend. Went through CompCowboys instructions (great job by the way) on what to do. Still have one question. Which is better, unplug the butterfly or pull the plate and leave it plugged in???

Also what is the purpose of the butterfly?

Derek

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
You don't leave anything plugged in no matter what you do.
I say leave the butterfly in unless you have bucking problems but those seem to have gone away with all but the oldest flashes. You should be fine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have the EGR unplugged now and have some little surge problems when going from reverse to drive and back (like when backing into a tight spot)...Unplugging the butterfly should fix that then???

is the plug in the box on the valve or outside of it? haven't gotten in there to look...didnt know if i needed to remove the cover to unplug it or not...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
That's not the butterfly, if your driving around town now without any other issues just leave it in.

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
:ditto::ditto:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sonds good to me...looks like its just the Cummins Racing plate going on and the butterfly getting unplugged...that saves me an hour or two...lol

As soon as i get the money, getting Shibby's Intake horn and Boost Tube...

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts
Sonds good to me...looks like its just the Cummins Racing plate going on and the butterfly getting unplugged...that saves me an hour or two...lol

As soon as i get the money, getting Shibby's Intake horn and Boost Tube...
Polaraco got his done late last night and is going to post up a few more pics this morning, but here are his initial thoughts on those two parts.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-performance-parts-discussion/140600-k2-keven-shibby-engineering-4.html

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't wait till i get the extra $$$ to get the Horn and tube installed...

Shibby,
I know for sure I am doing the horn and Tube just wondering if the grid heater delete a necessity with the horn??? and if i am not making 600hp right now if it will effect anything. been wanting to see some numbers on them but i guess they havent been out long enough. But give me a month or so...lol

Derek

·
Registered
373 Posts
I left the butterfly in and the truck runs perfect.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats is what I am going to do...hopefully it isnt a plug like the EGT ones were...those were a PIA...I definatly will post after it is done...

BTW, what is everyone doing with the loose plugs? right now the EGR plug is slipped between the two lines by the driverside battery...wish there were caps for them to clean it up a little...lol

G

·
thats is what I am going to do...hopefully it isnt a plug like the EGT ones were...those were a PIA...I definatly will post after it is done...

BTW, what is everyone doing with the loose plugs? right now the EGR plug is slipped between the two lines by the driverside battery...wish there were caps for them to clean it up a little...lol
You can't do much to them. . . A dot of grease could be conductive and drive the ECM nuts. Guess the best thing is to tape it over real good to geep dirt out and hope it doesn't corrode.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

That's where mine has been since august:thumbsup:

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts
You can't do much to them. . . A dot of grease could be conductive and drive the ECM nuts. Guess the best thing is to tape it over real good to geep dirt out and hope it doesn't corrode.

I'm in talks with the manufacturer of the connector to get just weather seals for the plugs so you can plug in a mating plug pretty much, no wires just a cap. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I cut the corner off of a ziploc bag and put that over the plug and used a ziptie to seal it around the wiring, that way nothing will get in there, and then just ziptied it to some other wires out of the way.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts

Fill them up with dielectric grease and then tape them.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Fill them up with dielectric grease and then tape them.:thumbsup:
Does dielectric grease conduct current? If so stray inputs could make the ECM go bonkers.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
dielectric grease does NOT conduct electricity. That is why you can use it in connectors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.