Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in a couple weeks im installing my new suspension and id like to verify the parts.

coils: dodge off road progressive rate 3.5"
shocks: thuren king shocks
steering stab: thuren stab
track bar: dodge off road track bar with bracket
tie rod: factory with luks links
drag link: factory with lukes links
sway bar ends: im not sure here, do i need them? if i replace them i would like a quick disconnect design for when i go off road. ideas?

am i missing anything for front end suspension rebuild?

the truck weighs 9100Lbs, may have a plow on the front, and will be getting a OX in front.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Look up suspension maxx links for the sway bar. You don't have to have one but if you want to keep it, you'll need extended links with that much lift. You might also want to consider extended control arms with 3.5 inches of lift, it'll keep the suspension geometry correct and thus improve ride/handling.

Just my $.02 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, control arms are also coming form Dodge off road. ill look up the sway bar links. jkidd has recommend i call (i think his shop?) for a price quote on cheaper parts. once i figure out who he wanted me to call ill check into price.

what im worried about is i dont want a mediocre part, i want a part that i can beat the ever loving piss out of and it wont break.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yea his shop is Diesel Auto Power. They have good prices. I highly recommend Thuren suspension components, I have his 2" coils and I believe his track bar and steering was on my truck when I bought it. My truck rides amazing for a 2500 and the steering is tight as can be.

Sounds like you're on the right track.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at dons coils however they're not progressive rate which is why im planning to go with dodge off roads coils.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will do, im doing ball joints nad bearings this saterday and buying luks this coming week. when thats done ill pop the suspension in and do track bar last. ill throw up picks of my head aches as i go. im expecting to have to cut off most if not all of the bolts...

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just ran into an issue... i was reading last night and now im not sure what direction i want to go. coilovers are 1700.00 for teh kit with brackets from DOR. thuren has his 2.0 fox shocks but DOR's shocks are 2.63 so they are larger. im not sure if i want to spend a bit more and get coil-overs from DOR, spend a bit less and get progressives and 2.63 shocks from DOR OR stick to my original plan. i started this thinking i would go with all thuren but it seems little by little i seem to conclude that perhaps thuren might not be what im looking for.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im just not sure about coilovers, ive never read up on them at all but if i do this i want to do it right the first time...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check your Luke links for cracks in the four corners now and then again when they loosen. 3 out of 4 of my links had cracks after 10k miles. I was putting in the supplied washers to tighten the links, installing the plug when not one but two links thru cracked which got me to looking at the last two and low and behold one had a crack where the other two failed. Also, when I tried to return the links for full refund, it was too bad so sad for me. Guy accused me of trying to run a scam cause there were tool marks on the top of the thread plugs. Ratchets slip! Then it was scuff marks on the bottom of the thread plug, however, the directions say to bottom out the plug and it'll be torqued to 35 ft-lbs. he accused me of over torquing. bottoming out the plug produces scuff marks.......anyway long story short I'm out the guarantee, refund, and confidence. I'll never run Luke's links again.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well they came in the mail today so i will see what happens...

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just opened the box. the metal the link is made of does not impress me. it is very pitted and does not look very dense at all. all 4 corners have chips in them which appear to be from the cutting of the opening. they have chips on them on the edges of nearly all cut surfaces that could easily provide a weak point for them to break. ill install them this weekend and figure out how they will work.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just an FYI that DOR stuff is really nice, and the price is decent, also Danny the guy who runs it is a good huy to deal with. That said it is a one man operation, I ordered coil springs and control arms from him 2 going on 3 weeks ago and they still haven't shipped, he said he was really busy with orders and was backed up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
just opened the box. the metal the link is made of does not impress me. it is very pitted and does not look very dense at all. all 4 corners have chips in them which appear to be from the cutting of the opening. they have chips on them on the edges of nearly all cut surfaces that could easily provide a weak point for them to break. ill install them this weekend and figure out how they will work.
I wouldn't install them! If there are tool marks on them from installation you might get the treatment I did if you try to return them I would just them send back forthwith. JMO. Take multiple pictures of each link before install. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.