Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to setup for WVO in my cummins and I am looking for suggestions on the best filters/setup etc to get it nice and clean.

My thought is to setup a 55 gal drum on a stand and then put the filers in line and let gravity run it down into another 55 gal drum at ground level. Just my initial thoughts.

Thanks for your help.

God bless...

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
centrifuge...if you have the $$$

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

10 micron Goldenrod fuel filter on the left, Wix 2 micron spin on the right. Fuel drains thru from the 5 gallon can above, thru the filters and into a 5 gallon jerry can just out of the pic.

So far, so good, on the second tank of 80% diesel/20% WMO.

Ops

·
Registered
143 Posts
A centrifuge will run about 450 to 500 to build. This will filter down to a sub 1 micron particle. You can do about 50 gallons an hour. Do a google search for sunwizard wvo. Or go to dieselcraft and look at the set up he did with their product.

If you want to do a centrifuge on the cheap. You can use an omega or acme juicer to build one. The sunwizard came up with this idea also.

Be sure to read on mistwashing prior to filtering. Heat the oil to about 120, mist the top and let cool. As it settles it will pull the water soluble acids with it and settle out any particles. Drain this off, heat it again to about 120 and let the centrifuge run. The better you clean it and filter before putting it in the truck, the fewer times you have to change the filter.

Fill out the sig with the kind of truck you have. I am currently installing a 4 valve system with a VO controller. I changed the design a little and think I can get 10 to 15 second purge times with about a 5 second switch time when the truck is at proper heat.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

I've agreed to a deal on a '99 quad cab short bed, so I should have it this weekend.

God bless...

mark

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

On the centerfuge how fast does it have to spin to get it to seperate? (If I were Macgyver, a little duct tape a carrot and an old washing machine and I would be in clean oil heaven :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Centrifuge,

A dieselcraft is used on rigs to spin motor oil to extend the life of the oil and filter. Instead of being used on the engine it is mounted on a 55 gl drum and spun using everything from a oberdorfer pump to a power steering pump hooked up to an electric motor. Go to youtube and type dieselcraft and watch the video.

Is there a cheaper way to filter in the short run? Yes. In the long run for the truck I would spin the oil.

Washing machine, I don't think so. But on the topic of a carrot, an acme juicer with the strainer holes covered will clean about 5 gallons an hour. Makes a good mobile unit for traveling.

here is the link for the juicer Cheap centrifuge testing - an Acme juicerator, it works! - Topic Powered by eve community
read as much as you can from the sunwizard.

·
Registered
146 Posts
how to filter oil

I use a 55 gal drum with a filter made of material usually I try to find a polyester cotton blend a big dress from good will works good.Then I have 1 inch pipe flange plate bolted to the bottom that a pipe is attached to then a leg of a pair of levis is attached that .I cold filter by gravity and can run for over 10,000 miles and never change the 10 micron filter on the truck.Takes about two days to filter a barrel of oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts