Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really like smart persons such as yourselves. after saying that can anyone set me straight? i have been using napa gold "wix" oil filters and would like to change to fleetgaurd stratapore filters.. can you pleaes tell me the fleetgaurd number for a 92 truck and if possible the mopar number in case the fleetgaurd is harder to find thanks a bunch guys.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, 10 people looked but nobody answered. fleetgaurd stratapore numbers are LF 16035 or LF 3894. these are the same filter, only the shape is differant. this is what i was told when i called fleetgaurd. napa 57620 is also the same filter.
fuel filter numbers are fleetgaurd FS 1232 or napa 33585.
results of oil analysis testing shows valvoline blue is the BEST oil. rotella t syn is 2nd best and valvoline blue syn is 3rd. regular white jug rotella t triple is junk oil and amsoil is not close to the top 3 i listed here

·
Banned
400 Posts
Personally, I would use the 57620XE and the 33585XE, as they are 14um and 7um filters, respectively. Baldwin even makes a 5um fuel filter.

But by all means, go with the FLeetguards if that's what you've already decided to do.

BTW, that fuel filter is for a 3rd gen. mount. It won't fit your '92 unless you have cobbed up some sort of custom fuel system. 33379 would be the correct Wix number for that application.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, i messed up. when useing the napa oil filter we want the one ending with xe. i have been running the napa gold and white jug rotella for 300k and only just now really started thinking about oil and filters. i thought i was running pretty good oil and i saw a link that had no advertisements. the roteela t tripple gaurd is not a good oil and i know a lot of people are using it. i hope this post will help everyone.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
[url=http://www.turbodieselregister.com/tdr57_oil.pdf sorry, this link doesn't work but the link on the next post does.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So you ran 300,000 miles on Rottella T, I am assuming with no major problems because you didn't say, and now it's junk.

I would take my personal experience over what somebody wrote on the internet.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your point is taken. i have not had any problems but there wasn't any advertisements and oil analysist don't lie. a chemical breakdown will tell all there is to know. all oils must meet a minimum srandard and as long as you change the oil every 3k to 5k the the worst of oil's will work. it should be odvious to everyone thst there are oils on the market that far exceed the minimum requirments. rotella t is a oil that only meets required specs where as rotella t syn and valvoline blue are premiem oils. had there been any advertisments i might not take the analysis too seriously. this my my opinion but i;m sticking to it. rotella t will work but it's not one of the better oils. a lot of people on here use amsoil and you see how it rated.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Interesting, but incomplete? Also, I couldn't find an Amsoil 5w-40 oil on their website that was CI-4plus rated. Did they mean 15w-40 and if so, was it the Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine or the synthetic blend?

Just looking at the UOA (5000 miles) for my Amsoil AME 15W-40 oil and the calcium numbers, phosphorus & zinc numbers are significantly higher than those published in the article. Because of this, I'm assuming that it is safe to say that they did not test the AME 15W-40 oil.

No one would ever expect a CJ-4 oil to outperform a CI-4/plus oil.... I think that's a given.

Lastly, the author seemed to inject some opinion as can be seen by "his opinion" vs. the actual results for API Performance Category.

He gave Redline a CI-4plus rating when it actually only made a CI rating.
He gave Amsoil & Caterpillar DEO a CI rating when they both actually tested as CI-4plus.
Finally, he gave LiquiMolly a CI-4 rating when it actually only tested out at a CF-4 rating.

It would also be interesting to see how these oils were after 5000 or 10,000 miles of service. You would of course have to disregard any contaminant metals, etc. in the UAO, but the additive & tbn numbers would be interesting to see. i.e. how well do the oils stand up over time. Or... you could do some industry standard tests, but there was also no test results of ASTM standard tests to show how the oil reacts to certain conditions - heat, volatility, and so on.

At the end he gives his opinion of change intervals. Does that apply for all oils, or just the oil he likes to use (whatever that may be). I don't doubt what he's saying there (quite the opposite), I just wish he said more or clarified his position more. I think the industry had done quite the job in convincing the general public to change their oil way too often....

·
Banned
400 Posts
I think the industry had done quite the job in convincing the general public to change their oil way too often....
I am absolutely certain you are right about that. :thumbsup:

Now let's wait for all the "cheap insurance" guys to chime in about how they change fluids and filters in a frequently obsessive-compulsive manner. :hehe:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thundercraft, your post is exactly what i was looking for when i posted. i have been changing my oil and filter every 5k and my engine seems tip top, no oil loss between changes. i read someone elses post on anothe forum and just started wondering about quilities and differances. i, like everyone wants to take care of my truck and i have found it hard to research oils with running into advertisment from makers and of course they all say they have the best product. you odviously know more than i on the suject and i appriciate your post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts