Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,739 Posts
Okay..... Dumb question number 374

How come we have the restricted filler, the capless one? My buddy's older F-350, you can use the same nozzle the big boys use at truck stops. (Hint: Don't use those on our capless fillers. You won't like what happens)

Is it just us or is it all the new diesels that use the capless fillers these days??

enquiring minds
I fill up at the 18 wheeler pumps every trip, works okay, you just can't run them very fast.

Capless filler's are just another result of ongoing emissions design.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
My '16 did it when she was new. Dealer replaced under warranty. No issues now. I can top her off with no worries. I keep her inside, and kinda particular about a clean floor.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I fill up at the 18 wheeler pumps every trip, works okay, you just can't run them very fast.

Capless filler's are just another result of ongoing emissions design.
The ones I'm referring to are just huge. They don't even fit inside the capless trap-door dealio.

Ford started the capless filler deal because so many housewives were either losing their gas caps or had trouble operating them. Or so they said. I don't know why they really did it.

But that was on gasoline engines with gasoline pumps designed to where you couldn't stick a diesel nozzle (or in the old days, a regular leaded gas nozzle) into the filler tube.

Diesels were left alone. You could fill up at the 18 wheeler pumps but you had to feather the handle on the pump.

Now, the nozzle from the big-boy pumps won't even fit inside the capless filler tube. Which I see no use for whatsoever. A gas nozzle will fit in it and so will a Jet Fuel nozzle, so..... I wonder if it's designed so we can't use the big nozzle??

Most of the 18 wheeler pumps have two pumping stations, one with the normal sized nozzle and the others with the big boy.

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong :confused013:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I have managed to get the big one in at truck stops but I don't like to do it. Just fills it toooo fast. With the TT its hard to get in the regular fuel lines at times. But I am full in 2 minutes and gone. I never could figure out why mine leaked.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have managed to get the big one in at truck stops but I don't like to do it. Just fills it toooo fast. With the TT its hard to get in the regular fuel lines at times. But I am full in 2 minutes and gone. I never could figure out why mine leaked.
You know, there's a lot of suggestive material I could come up with that would most likely get me in trouble with our resident Jedi.

It's taking all the will power I can muster to resist it. 0:)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Okay..... Dumb question number 374

How come we have the restricted filler, the capless one? My buddy's older F-350, you can use the same nozzle the big boys use at truck stops. (Hint: Don't use those on our capless fillers. You won't like what happens)

Is it just us or is it all the new diesels that use the capless fillers these days??

enquiring minds
It's because the new breed of pickup truck owners that need or regale automatic power operated swiss army barn door tailgates also do not have the strength or fortitude to wrestle a high flow pump nozzle! LOL

(Funny I was thinking the same thing yesterday, filling my 07 off a high flow pump while the dude next to me was using the car pump with his capless fuel filler.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Filled up yesterday nozzle did kick off and didnt over fill. Still diesel on fill tube it is leaking somewhere for sure!!

·
Registered
13,739 Posts
The ones I'm referring to are just huge. They don't even fit inside the capless trap-door dealio.

Ford started the capless filler deal because so many housewives were either losing their gas caps or had trouble operating them. Or so they said. I don't know why they really did it.

But that was on gasoline engines with gasoline pumps designed to where you couldn't stick a diesel nozzle (or in the old days, a regular leaded gas nozzle) into the filler tube.

Diesels were left alone. You could fill up at the 18 wheeler pumps but you had to feather the handle on the pump.

Now, the nozzle from the big-boy pumps won't even fit inside the capless filler tube. Which I see no use for whatsoever. A gas nozzle will fit in it and so will a Jet Fuel nozzle, so..... I wonder if it's designed so we can't use the big nozzle??

Most of the 18 wheeler pumps have two pumping stations, one with the normal sized nozzle and the others with the big boy.

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong :confused013:
I've never seen a truck stop diesel pump nozzle that was too big to fit the filler opening on these trucks.

·
Registered
13,739 Posts
Filled up yesterday nozzle did kick off and didnt over fill. Still diesel on fill tube it is leaking somewhere for sure!!
Well, get the filler tube replaced, been a few on here report having bad ones.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It is all visible from below. Fill to top and crawl under it and look. Hose clamps, puncture, broken plastic. Doesn't the vent tube have a hose back to tank too?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Mine seeped for a long time before I got it replaced. Sow the dealer then bring it in when the fuel gets low. It's not going to heal up and you can't fix it.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Did you ask exactly what was wrong with it? Would be good to know.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had the whole filler assembly replaced on my 13 because the outside part of it cracked. The new assembly was on backorder for quite a while and is a completely different design. Seems like it is only one flap not 2. Havent tried the big pump yet.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts