Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any problems with filler neck leaking? Mine is an 18 with 16k miles. Noticed little fuel puddle. The filler neck always is damp. Wiped and rechecked several times

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did try top it off. I did notice fuel between the 2 flaps. I got it out last night. Know today still wet. Thought might have been coming out the drain hole between 2 flaps

·
Registered
13,704 Posts
I did try top it off. I did notice fuel between the 2 flaps. I got it out last night. Know today still wet. Thought might have been coming out the drain hole between 2 flaps
Yes, you can't top these truck's fuel tank off, when the nozzle clicks off, quit!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think it will quit leaking? I did notice today It was wet again. Plus last 2 times it wouldn't click off. Fuel went everywhere

·
Registered
13,704 Posts
Do you think it will quit leaking? I did notice today It was wet again. Plus last 2 times it wouldn't click off. Fuel went everywhere
Diesel is more like oil than gas is, takes a while to dry up, it'll go away eventually.

If the nozzle doesn't click off, then either you need to insert it further into the filler neck, or you need to get fuel at a different pump or place.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I agree with the old fella, diesel is oily, it’ll look wet til it’s covered in dirt/dust. I’m willing to bet it’s not a leak, just over filled.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Mine constantly seeped and was wet. Replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
18,898 Posts
Somehow I think fuel is being spilled during full up. Even my 99 vents back to the tank. I seriously doubt an 18 would be allowed to be open enough to run out on the ground through an open vent. Smog rules you know. Maybe left over fuel in nozzle from previous sale when inserting spilling.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya brought it into dealer. I told them last 2 fill ups it wouldn't click off. And always had fuel coming out filler neck. They said they will replace the whole neck assembly but on back order till mid march. There was fuel in between the 2 flaps might been coming out weep holes.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ha, I've had this issue since new, but didn't spend any time or energy on it. Guess now that I'm out of warranty, I'll spend the money on a new fuel neck.

·
Registered
18,898 Posts
The pump not clicking off is a nozzle issue not a filler neck issue.

·
Registered
13,704 Posts
The pump not clicking off is a nozzle issue not a filler neck issue.
How you figure?
Usually is.

Not having the nozzle stuck down into the filler neck far enough can cause the nozzle to not click off as well.

Foaming fuel can also cause fuel to backup and not cut off the nozzle.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Okay..... Dumb question number 374

How come we have the restricted filler, the capless one? My buddy's older F-350, you can use the same nozzle the big boys use at truck stops. (Hint: Don't use those on our capless fillers. You won't like what happens)

Is it just us or is it all the new diesels that use the capless fillers these days??

enquiring minds

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
They replaced my entire filler neck assembly. Make sure the fuel level is low when you take it in. Mine would sweat when the tank was full. I never could figure out what was wrong.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty as well. There was always fuel around the filler neck, and not caused by overfilling. Although, that does cause fuel to spill out to ground as designed. I can't remember exactly what they said, but that did take care of the problem. Might be a venting issue, not sure. Anyway, I would have it replaced as I'm sure that FCA does not want to get caught with their trucks leaking fuel into our precious environment. What would California think.

·
US ARMY Retired
788 Posts
Okay..... Dumb question number 374

How come we have the restricted filler, the capless one? My buddy's older F-350, you can use the same nozzle the big boys use at truck stops. (Hint: Don't use those on our capless fillers. You won't like what happens)

Is it just us or is it all the new diesels that use the capless fillers these days??

enquiring minds
I never had a problem with my 2017 2500, 2018 1500 Ecodiesel (I haven't tried the '19 yet) at the Big boy pump...you just have to watch what your doing as the fuel comes out much faster and not just because the nozzle is bigger...its at a higher pressure/flow. You should never top of any vehicle....when the pump kicks off that's it no more fuel. Now...what I have done but don't really recommend it. When your on the highway traveling, I have topped it off because I knew I was jumping in and driving 500 plus miles so the fuel wont have time to leak out. When you top it off your fueling up past the vent that returns back to the tank and as fuel heats up it expands and your not leaving any room for expansion and bad things happen...just my thoughts and experience. We should always try to learn from experience...preferably from someone else's.:grin2:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts