Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fifth wheel vs conventional

1313 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  sbbtmatt
I was wondering why so many manufacturers say that the 5th wheel capacity is higher than conventional. The only towing I do is conventional and go right up to and over the max 5th wheel capacity. I have never had a problem, if I am not loaded properly it can get kinda squirly though. I think the F 450 pick up has a difference of about 7k, I just dont see why.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
because of where the weight is located, with the weight over your rear axle it loads the front axle more and it will pull smoother than ANY bumper pull you'll ever get your hands on! I bought my 1st goose neck 2 hours away and I was thinking this will be the longest ride home cause I was used to pulling bumper pull's and their HORRIBLE when empty and this was a Dream to pull empty couldn't even tell it was back there

· Registered
4,642 Posts
thats right bc a bumper pull puts all the weight on the rear axle a 5th wheel is putting some of the wt on the front axle also and is much more stable

· Registered
48 Posts
I don't know either so I would have to ask Ford that question because they are the only ones that rates different as much as they do. A properly set up w/d hitch adds weight to the front end of the two vehicle. Thats how they work.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
there is no way a bumper pull hitch puts weight on the front of a tow vehicle.

· Registered
165 Posts
weight distribution hitch is the only way to go with a heavy bumber pull, but you will never get a bumber pull to tow as good as a fifth wheel or goose neck. I have towed them all. If you want to see the difference take the rig to a truck scale and it will give you each axel weight as well as total weight. weigh the loaded truck by itself and then weigh again with the trailer attached. My 13,500 lb travel trailer only put 180 pounds on the front (steering)axel but added 2600 pounds to the drive axel

· Registered
48 Posts
jwsalior-- by reading your post your tt tounge weight must have been almost 2800#. Just seems kinda high to me. My 5ers pin weight is not that high and its gvw is 12,000#. My total combined weight ready for trip with everybody and every thing in is 19,000#. It lowers the rear 2" and front 1/2".

· Registered
165 Posts
total weight with truck (55gals fuel) wife and dog(102 lb dog) fully loaded trailer is 21,340

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My biggest trailer has about 1,850 pounds of tongue weight, empty. Loaded it is even more. The 3500s handle it no problem, they squat but not much at all. They handle it very well for the most part, once you get much more than 15k on the trailer it get a little hairy but not bad at all. If you put the weight bars on it is totally fine. We haul boats wit hydraulic trailers and the bumper pull seems to be best. 99% of the haulers with hydraulic trailers use the conventional trailers. I was at the NYC boat show today taking boats out and some had boats close to 40 feet on there hitches and these are boats that weight close to 20,000. The only time the bumper pull has been an issue is when I do not have enough tongue weight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.