Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a fifth wheel brake controller for my rig. Which unit is the best? I know little to nothing about them other than how they work. Also is the installation all the same on them or are some easier than others? Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a tekonsha prodigy. I love it. 5 minute install

·
Registered
246 Posts
Prodigy original or the new P3.........

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you are asking about the "best" it is arguably Brakesmart.

As I understand it electric brake controllers use different methods to determine how quickly or slowly you are trying to stop or slow down. The controller then sends more or less voltage to your trailers brakes.

One method is timing, the longer you are on the tow vehicles brakes the more voltage the controller sends to the trailer. Other controllers use a pendulum - the harder you stop the more it swings.
The Brakesmart uses a sensor in the tow vehicles hydraulic brake system to measure the pressure to determine how hard to brake the trailer. The result is much smoother and more co-ordinated stopping of the truck and trailer.

The downside: the Brakesmart is more expensive and you have to install a sensor in the tow vehicles hydraulic brake system. For myself the install of the sensor was not as difficult as it sounds.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Can't go wrong with either the Prodigy or the newer P3. Plug and play and you can move it from truck to truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts