Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
As much as I do agree that to lose your job versus taking a paycut is stupid, let me play devil's advocate a little here.

What would you say when your boss comes to you and asks you to take a 20 percent paycut? I don't care how much you make, you will always spend it. So although taking a paycut from from $40k per year to 36k per year does not seem that bad. Getting cut from $150k to $120k is still only 20% right?
Big difference between the two. As far as the jobs these guys do for the money, are you really upset that they make the kind of money they do for the job they perform...OR are you upset because you did not land a job like that?
Just about anyone here would take $120k per year to put lugnuts on, but apparently that job is already taken. Then you too would be pissed when after making that kind of money for decades was asked to take 20% less to do it.

I am not siding with the unions here, but I am asking you guys to put yourself in the shoes of the people affected by this. It is always easier to criticize others if you don't look at things from both sides of the fence.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just heard that uaw, caw, and fiat agreed on the consessions. Has anyone else heard that?

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
As much as I do agree that to lose your job versus taking a paycut is stupid, let me play devil's advocate a little here.

What would you say when your boss comes to you and asks you to take a 20 percent paycut? I don't care how much you make, you will always spend it. So although taking a paycut from from $40k per year to 36k per year does not seem that bad. Getting cut from $150k to $120k is still only 20% right?
Big difference between the two. As far as the jobs these guys do for the money, are you really upset that they make the kind of money they do for the job they perform...OR are you upset because you did not land a job like that?
Just about anyone here would take $120k per year to put lugnuts on, but apparently that job is already taken. Then you too would be pissed when after making that kind of money for decades was asked to take 20% less to do it.

I am not siding with the unions here, but I am asking you guys to put yourself in the shoes of the people affected by this. It is always easier to criticize others if you don't look at things from both sides of the fence.
I understand what your saying, and agree with pretty much all of it. You darn right Id take a job making $120k to put lugnuts on. The stickler is this: is the task really worth it? No. Thats pretty much a minimum wage type job. If the guy/gal made around $40k or so for it, nobody would say much. Buy 3 times that?? Im callin BS on that one. Thats what gets me. Im not interested in sitting in a factory, living in a dump like alot of that area is. Green River/Rock Springs aint paradise, but its a damn site better than what Ive seen around Detroit or Flint and those type places

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
I just heard that uaw, caw, and fiat agreed on the consessions. Has anyone else heard that?
Yes. Now they need to be ratified by the Union members, and a percentage of the debt to creditors needs to be exchanged for a stake in the company, and ink the deal with Fiat, and theyll get more government aid

·
Registered
47 Posts
Unions have been doing this stuff under our noses for years and years. Now that a company or two are in trouble, people see how the unions kill businesses.

Some union workers actually earn their paycheck but a very big majority are over paid for what they do. There is no way, IMO, anyone on a factory assembly line should make over 100K a year. I don't care if that includes benefits or not. If there is no skill involved, why does anyone in their right mind think they deserve so much.

As far as Scabs....haha I love that term. The union leaders use it often to make the union people feel better about themselves.
Where in fact, all the people I know that are Union are bigger scabs than you could imagine.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts