Dogs even happy!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
good deal man, i gotta do the same thing here next month

·
Registered
94 Posts
Was that an independent shop and your supplying the parts for $400? The last time I had just the front axle u-joints replaced by the stealer, I was $550 lighter in the wallet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, should have explained, most everything was covered under warranty, I had to pay for the alignment, deductable, and the cost of a new tie rod end and adjusting coupler. Originally they tried to get me with the entire steering set up ($1100) but since I only had a bad tie rod and coupler I just had to pay for that (after having to call Chrysler and spend half an afternoon on hold). I would say all of the work done is actually closer to $3-4K.

·
Registered
209 Posts
how many miles on the truck?

·
Registered
82 Posts
^2xs^

Ive got 72k on my 06'. hasnt done any towing in its life. got an alighnment done today, and the guy mentioned it had small play in the upper and lower ball jnts. Havnt noticed any real noises/pops/play/swag or nething. Only thing i hear is a SMALL bump sound in my steering when i go back in forth w the steering without trying to turn the wheels. sound like more ion the colum, or shaft goin to the box. nothing bad. wouldnt notice unless pointed out. But, My concern was, whats the life span of wht CF has had w the 3rd gen front end wo having to plan on a front end rebuild. Hope its not soon!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great picture with the Boxer! We have two and treat them like kids!

Not that many miles for a whole frontend rebuild. I have had troubles from day one with the cheap a$$ ujoints Chrysler puts in our trucks.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,281 Posts
i did the same thing a while back, albeit not under
warranty and i did have my mech. do it. drove
like a new truck..

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's 68.5K miles on it, same thing with the ball joints, it wasn't really that noticeable to me (so I thought) but you can definitely tell it is much tighter now.

The steering issue is that the angle on the old set up on the arm from the steering box was too great causing premature wear on tie rods, sometimes binding in the links, and overall weakening the system system. The new set up has a less aggressive angle, making it so the links needed to be slightly longer, and from what I can tell it seems to have beefier tie rod ends. Whatever the reason, all I can say is I love it, and it's too bad DC took all those years to fix it. The steering is crazy responsive, honestly feels like a new truck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comment on my boy, "TANK"... he is definitely like a kid to the wife and I. I've had many hunting dogs growing up and I wouldn't trade him for one of them. However, my boxer is anything but a hunting dog, his senses compared to my old springers and German Shorthairs is nothing!

·
Registered
209 Posts
diid you have an extended warrenty was a tsb recall?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the 7/70K warranty, the TSB is not technically a service recall but it fell under the warranty. I tried getting the TSB taken care of earlier but I would have had to pay the $100 deductable... so I waited until I had a laundry list of other things to get taken care of as well. TSB for the "hunting" between 1&2 is worth it, much smoother at low speeds/low RPMs.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I had the 7/70K warranty, QUOTE]

The '06 did not come with 7/70 warranty ... it only has 3/36 so do you have an extended warranty or added warranty of some kind?

And did they tell you why they replaced the Pitman Arm?

tia

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry when I said 7/70 I meant that I purchased the extended warranty...

The steering changeover was a result of not being able to purchase the needed components for my 06' (tie rod end and adjuster/coupler). They superceded these items to the newer style steering linkage which do not bolt on to the 06' set up. Therefore, they needed to replace the entire steering system. The issue I had was that the tie rod and coupler were not covered under warranty so they at first tried to charge the $1000+ bill to me. I had to call Chrysler and point out that it was their issue that they couldn't supply just the parts I needed so they covered everything except the new tie rod and coupler (~$100).

I'm not sure what year they switched to the new design but the angles are different with the pitman arm, therefore, I was told the newer components don't mate up with the older so the entire system needed to be upgraded...

·
Registered
846 Posts
sorry when I said 7/70 I meant that I purchased the extended warranty...

The steering changeover was a result of not being able to purchase the needed components for my 06' (tie rod end and adjuster/coupler). They superceded these items to the newer style steering linkage which do not bolt on to the 06' set up. Therefore, they needed to replace the entire steering system. The issue I had was that the tie rod and coupler were not covered under warranty so they at first tried to charge the $1000+ bill to me. I had to call Chrysler and point out that it was their issue that they couldn't supply just the parts I needed so they covered everything except the new tie rod and coupler (~$100).

I'm not sure what year they switched to the new design but the angles are different with the pitman arm, therefore, I was told the newer components don't mate up with the older so the entire system needed to be upgraded...
Lucky you ... good deal! I just had this upgrade priced out and they told me I would need the tie rod/drag link assy as well as the new steering damper kit but didn't mention the pitman arm ... it didn't show up as a required component on the computer. I'll have to look into that too I guess. thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
does this situation have anything to do with the 05's or is it just relating to the 06-07's

·
Tennesse Chapter President
1,614 Posts
I wish I had your luck. I just spent $1200 on my new front end. ie. ball joints, bearings, shocks stabalizer, and upgraded tie-rod assembly. But I also did the work myself. So you got a heck of a deal :thumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Where are you guys getting your balljoints, local place wanted close to $500 for 4 of them....they said somehting about 4 per side, shouldn't it be 4 for both sides?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts