Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sorta wondering if I was the only 2011 driver that felt like his or her truck was a bit weak on acceleration? My truck is the 6spd manual with 3:73 gears. It pulls my gooseneck loaded great but with no trailer it is lacking power. I dont get it:confused013: My 06 geared the same way, same tranny will eat the 11 up going through the gears empty or loaded. And I do mean eat it up, and it is all stock also. I love the 11"s seats and the EB but I gotta tell ya, Mine is lacking power. It is almost like it takes the turbo forever to spool up. I only have 3500 miles on the ticker, Do you guys think it will get better after a few more miles? Im not complaining, I love the truck, It just does not have the (set you back in the seat power my 06 does) Is it just me?

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
It's just you or maybe the truck my 11 feel's great just as good if not better then the 08 we had

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
No thats the way they are designed. torque managment kills it and unless you buy a H&S its gonna be like that. I was very dissapointed in what i had,now with the H&S im happy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No thats the way they are designed. torque managment kills it and unless you buy a H&S its gonna be like that. I was very dissapointed in what i had,now with the H&S im happy
Did the H&S kill the warranty?

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
Did the H&S kill the warranty?
Yes and no. If you melta piston or somethin like that it wont be. Alternator goes out oil leak something like that youl be covered

·
Registered
945 Posts
For unloaded driving I found using a higher gear yielded more power. Such as going WOT from a rolling speed, if the RPMs are in the 1300-1600 range rather than 1800+ it'll spool up. My instincts were to merge onto the highway and things like that from about 1800-2000, but it wouldn't spool up from those RPMs in the lower gears.

It also seemed like it was getting less laggy the more I towed, but I can't say that for sure. It made me wonder if there was a break in written into the tuning. I ended up deleting and installing the Mini Maxx at 2500 miles. No more lag, but it does put warranty for any powertrain related issues at risk.

·
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
1,393 Posts
I was sorta wondering if I was the only 2011 driver that felt like his or her truck was a bit weak on acceleration? My truck is the 6spd manual with 3:73 gears. It pulls my gooseneck loaded great but with no trailer it is lacking power. I dont get it:confused013: My 06 geared the same way, same tranny will eat the 11 up going through the gears empty or loaded. And I do mean eat it up, and it is all stock also. I love the 11"s seats and the EB but I gotta tell ya, Mine is lacking power. It is almost like it takes the turbo forever to spool up. I only have 3500 miles on the ticker, Do you guys think it will get better after a few more miles? Im not complaining, I love the truck, It just does not have the (set you back in the seat power my 06 does) Is it just me?
Wow, I have a 10 with 6 spd and 3.42 gearing and when I get after it and the turbo spools up, it sets be back in the seat.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I gotta agree with powerstroke. I drove a stock 6 speed and it felt slow to me. Torque management was definitely noticeable. But like he said, run a programmer on it and itll really wake it up, but then youll have to get a beefed up clutch cause it sure won't be happy with all that added power. Im warning you, if you get the programmer, it becomes a slippery slope and you'll start spending all your money on performance stuff here and there cause you'll just LOVE your 6.7 cummins :hehe::hehe:

If you're worried about warranty stuff, then don't do the chip. Wait till your warranty is up. If you're not worried about warranty then go for it but expect to shell out some cash for that clutch.

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
I gotta agree with powerstroke. I drove a stock 6 speed and it felt slow to me. Torque management was definitely noticeable. But like he said, run a programmer on it and itll really wake it up, but then youll have to get a beefed up clutch cause it sure won't be happy with all that added power. Im warning you, if you get the programmer, it becomes a slippery slope and you'll start spending all your money on performance stuff here and there cause you'll just LOVE your 6.7 cummins :hehe::hehe:

If you're worried about warranty stuff, then don't do the chip. Wait till your warranty is up. If you're not worried about warranty then go for it but expect to shell out some cash for that clutch.
Man i agree with the moeny thing 7000+ on mods and counting................:spank:

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
My Cummins with the auto also felt like a slug and sucked fuel hard. Then i did deletes and mini max and got better fuel economy and better throttle response.

·
Registered
844 Posts
My Cummins with the auto also felt like a slug and sucked fuel hard. Then i did deletes and mini max and got better fuel economy and better throttle response.
:agree2::agree2:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the input. I probably will leave it stock for now because I pull so heavy. But I aint kidding, My stock 06 will eat this thing alive in a race from start to finish.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I only know the feel of my stk 180 HP 12V for going on 14 yrs. I test drove a new 2011 CTD in a 2500. I was expecting a rocket. It did not have the feel I expected until it reached some speed/higher RPM's.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yep, throttle response on these things are junk. It sometimes takes a full 1.5 to 2 seconds for the truck to respond if I smash the pedal from a dead stop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts