Cummins Diesel Forum banner

FCA failure: Will the CP3 being dying shortly thereafter?

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Shibbyutman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I am a VP44 guy thinking about getting into the CR game, and I came across the truck I want, but it is down right now due to the FCA being faulty. So, my question is, being as I am a VP44 guy who has suffered from the blown pump on a trip, will the CP3 go shortly thereafter? I just want to make sure I am not buying a truck that a) wont get me the 220miles home and b) will need a new cp3 in the near term, and C) the arson kits I am seeing. Are those full rebuild kits, or solely upgrades. Mainly, do I need to buy a full Cp3 if this one goes or will the arson kits give me what I need to have a fully working CP3 again. Thanks

-Greg

Edit: Sorry for my ignorance and sorry if this has been asked before, but i didnt see it in the search.

#3 ·
Thats fine, and I appreciate the answer(the guy is offering to fix it for me before I pick it up), however, I need to know the two other questions:

Is an entire CP3 failure immininent? And, do the Arson kits provide the proper items to rebuild the cp3 and make it good again or are they just performance add-ons? Thanks

#4 ·
No it will not cause a CP3 to fail, the mostly fail from high mileage or water/debris in the fuel. 2-3 micron filtration on a common rail is crucial, so get on that as soon as you can if/once you get it. The Arson kit is not a rebuild it, it is just a bolt on performance kit. 99% of failed CP3s have problems with either the high pressure springs or pistons inside and nobodies bolt on kit is going to provide either of those parts.

#5 ·
Thank you for the info.

From what I can gather, then, the truck I am looking at is an 03 with 252k on it. Should I have the $ set aside for a new cp3 when I buy it?

#6 ·
Injectors/lift pump/CP3/trans/ball joints/hubs/u-joints. If you can on a truck with that many miles you REALLY need to try and get service records for it, or you need to have a very thorough inspection. If the injectors and CP3 haven't been changed yet, I doubt they are going to be long for this life.

#7 ·
Trans, Ball Joints, Hubs, ujoints have all been replaced. He said he would be willing to toss in some money for a new CP3, I have a spare raptor 150 pump and enough 1/2" fuel line to make a a kit(just need the fittings), and can get injectors down the road if need be. I think that should cover, unless there is something I am missing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.