Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going with FBD 5" turbo back exhaust with the muffler. Does anyone have any sound/video clips?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any?

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's the same exhaust as Expandit. There are some clips of Expandit on Youtube. I just got a full kit from James at Rollin Smoke Diesel. Awesome guy to deal with. He was nothing but helpful and quite a bit cheaper than FBD. Not bashing FBD just saying check out Rollin Smoke Diesel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i got the fbd 5 inch and don't really care for it. the exhaust is very quiet and it resonates on the highway. i also had a problem with it vibrating against the cab and the last hanger that held the tailpipe up was not even close to being bent right. so i had to improvise and fix it..put my stock stuff back on and everythings great. service from gus was impeccable, but the kit was not what i thought it was

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
I got my Expandit system AKA "Farmboydiesel kit" from Jason at Custom and Classic and its a nice system. I did get a resonator to replace the muffler. As for the sound i will let you know how it turns out.

P.S. I got a better price from Jason the i did Gus. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
did you have a muffler or was it a straigt? I was wanting to get their 5" with a straight and was realy hopeing it would be louder than what I got.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
I got my expandit system on ebay for $300 shipped and used a 51" Donaldson muffler. Great sound, that last exhaust hanger is kinda trash, but what you get for the money is great, and I can work with mild steel no problem.

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
did you have a muffler or was it a straigt? I was wanting to get their 5" with a straight and was realy hopeing it would be louder than what I got.
I got mine with a muffler. It sounds ok but i think this resonator will make it sound tons better. Its basicly straight piped with out the drone in the cab with the resonator. I had one on my 02 and it was great on a straight pipe system.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have the FBD 5" w/ muffler and I really don't like the sound. It's quieter than the stock system w/cat no muffler. I was hoping it would be loud and deeper but it's quieter and tinny sounding. I may end up trying the 5" straightpipe but if that doesn't sound better I'm going back to 4". Has anyone tried turning the muffler around? I'm wondering if that will help the sound any.

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
I have the FBD 5" w/ muffler and I really don't like the sound. It's quieter than the stock system w/cat no muffler. I was hoping it would be loud and deeper but it's quieter and tinny sounding. I may end up trying the 5" straightpipe but if that doesn't sound better I'm going back to 4". Has anyone tried turning the muffler around? I'm wondering if that will help the sound any.
You need to talk to Wally at FTE and get a resonator to replace the muffler. You will be amazed in the sound difference.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the FBD kit come with a tip?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have an expandit 5" with a muffler (which is what FBD calls "his exhaust") and it sounds good to me. its semi quiet until you hit the skinny peddle. no cab noise

·
Registered
317 Posts
of course they are all good. the posts are in FBDs forum. so any bad comments are deleted or changed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
what ever that means

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is there any turbo lag going from stock 4" to 5"?

·
Registered
942 Posts
i honestly see no need for a 5" exhaust unless you just want the look. If your going for sound I think a 4" TBE sounds the best.

Ps. Unless you want stacks then 5" or bigger is what you need.

·
Registered
128 Posts
MY 5" FBD no muffler is crazy loud, sets off alarms all the time. I also had problems w/ the hangers, but a little bending and re welding and we were good to go. Going to a 7" stack so I will be removing the back part of the system....

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
i had it on my 01 and loved it. if you smoke a lot, the muffler will sound better after filling up with soot. on these common rails i'm assuming you'll hear a bunch of injection noise unless you're into the throttle hard so it will sound even more "tinny"

1 - 20 of 62 Posts