Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck seems like it spools slow at times and other times it spools up quick. I havent done any mods to it or anything when it does this. Anybody have any idea wht could be causing this?

·
Sasquatch
3,886 Posts
Sounds a bit odd, do you have any gauges to give us an idea of what the EGT, boost, and fuel pressure is showing? It could be related to fuel pressure which can be quite a few things. It could also be an issue with the throttle linkage or the boost reference line. Also the possibility of a boost leak.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive got a boost gauge. The egt gauge isnt hooked up now but im hooking it up this week. And the fuel pressure gauge is on its way. Most of the time it spools slow but sometimes when i get into it, the damn thing really will throw you back and it will bottom out the gauge as fast as you can blink.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Are you going through many elevation changes or temperature changes? Its incredible what a difference 2000 ft can make on a truck that's has the AFC tuned for a different elevation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same elevation. Temperature outside is the same. The truck only does it when its warmed up. Ill be driving down the road one minute with it slow spooling. The nxt minute i hit the skinny and it freakin scoots. Ill go down the road and hit the gas again and it spools slow again. Its freakin weird.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Any exhaust leaks? cracked manifold? the smallest of leaks is more detrimental to building boost than you'd think. Any soot in your engine bay would be a telltale sign of an exhaust leak. and because it happens at times, it may or may not be a cracked manifold.... heat and cold expanding and or contracting the metal. Check your exhaust gasket too, these flimsy things leak.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the welded exhaust has some leaks where the muffler used to be. The manifold is good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, ive been fooling around with it some. At wot it will do it and other times it wont.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts